9/11 where were you ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 3 months pregnant and was at home with my 2 and a half year old watching Bob the Builder when all programmes were cut short to show us the unfolding news. It was unbelievable - I remember sitting down slowly not quite being able to take in everything I was seeing. I watched as others did in horror at people jumping from the top floors and shuddered thinking how bad it must have been inside for them to think that jumping was the better option.

At the time I thought my little boy wasn't watching as Bob had ended he turned his attention to his cars but for months afterwards he would draw airplanes crashing and buildings on fire - it made me feel really bad for a long time. However at 12 he does not remember a thing about it and watched the TV programme last night and was shocked by what he saw. So many questions from my children as to why it happened and how. God forbid it ever happens again

...a picture of a man falling through the sky who had jumped from the burning second tower.

The picture is titled "Falling Man." It's horrific. Absolutely horrific. He's never been identified.

i was at home with my baby son he was about 6 month old and i remeber it flashed up on screen so i put sky news on and sat holding him in shock , it was horrible , i saw a american flag in a shop in buffallo and it was a remebrence one with all the names on that perished .. i had to walk away coz i filled up in the shop x

I was going round the avenue I lived in collecting money for the Concern fast that we did in primary school. I remember calling to a ladies house to see if she would sponsor me and she was like: "Call back some other time I'm calling America!". I was like ookay and inside was thinking, ffs its only a euro. That was until I went home and saw the news and I felt bad then as she was trying to contact relatives to see if they were ok.

I watched a program on 9/11 last night. Over 300 people jumped and nearly 3000 killed.

I was at school and didn't know until I got home that afternoon. Think it was the first time I ever sat down and watched the news. Horrific.

I cried last night watching the program.
Rhiannon x

i was at school, it was nearly the end of the day and we were in assembly.. the head teacher said something bad had happened in america and he put the news on in the assembly, then i think we went home early!!

I was at primary school, and heard some mums talking about it in the playground...At that age it still horrified me watching it on the news at home...so sad. The same day though I was on my scooter at my friends and reached the end of the drive and a bike hit me...Chipped two teeth and swelled up my chin aswell as covering myself in cuts and bruises and eventfull day!

I was at work. I worked in a private care home and the owners, my bosses, had been visiting relatives in America for the previous 2 weeks and were due to fly back that day. We were all so scared.
They however had no idea what had gone on until they had landed and were on their way back from the airport.
Sad, sad day :sad:

I was in a hotel in Puerto Banus (Marbella) and couldn't believe what I was hearing then seeing, of course it was all in Spanish but those pictures painted a million words.

Funnily enough Alan Jackson is one of my favourite country singers and of course we have been hearing this song and more written about 9/11 a lot this week.

I can't believe it was 10 years ago.

Funnily enough Alan Jackson is one of my favourite country singers and of course we have been hearing this song and more written about 9/11 a lot this week.

I can't believe it was 10 years ago.

I can't believe it either. I'm the only person I know who has heard of Alan Jackson or any country singer to be honest. This song is the best tribute, the others are very angry. Good, but aggressive

I lived in East London at the time. I was shopping in Sainsbury's and heard about it. I had a chat with a lovely old lady about The Blitz and how she had not seen a Banana for years (as they were very rare).

The next day my local shopkeeper (who was a man from India) felt the need to apologise for what had happened.. I told him he had no need to say sorry.

The next day my local shopkeeper (who was a man from India) felt the need to apologise for what had happened.. I told him he had no need to say sorry.

he apologized? :( im glad you told him he didnt have to.

he apologized? :( im glad you told him he didnt have to.

Thanks :) I wanted him to know that people did not feel he was somehow to blame for what had happened. I think he felt ashamed to be a Muslim. He even put a Union Jack and a US Flag in his shop window to show solidarity.

Thanks :) I wanted him to know that people did not feel he was somehow to blame for what had happened. I think he felt ashamed to be a Muslim. He even put a Union Jack and a US Flag in his shop window to show solidarity.

That's such a horrible way for him to feel.

I had the day off college, so was at my parent's and watched it all on the news. I'm a New Yorker, but I've been away from home for a long time. I was devastated and cried so hard that day, but in the aftermath of all that terror I've never been so proud of my City and it's brave and heroic people.

I would have loved to be home for the anniversary this year, but it wasn't feasible, so mom flew out this week instead and she'll be at the memorial site on the day :cry:

I was running a pub at the time and I remember I was sitting in the bar and someone came in and told us to change the tv channel over.

We all just sat there in absolute horror watching the dreadful events unfold.

My hubby was stationed in new Mexico at Holaman air force base when it happened....
His Lifes been non stop ever since ,
Deployed to the desert 4 times ...

The flags at this base will be at half mast,

It will definitely be a solemn day this year, being the 10th anniversary. I'm sure we will all shed a few tears.

I was pregnant with my eldest daughter... VERY PREGNANT.
I was on early maternity leave because of difficulties.

I woke up as usual, to have my tea and sat down to channel surf on tv while I woke up.
Then I thought my remote-control wasn't working because the channel didn't seem to be changing.
Then I realized it was fine, just the same thing on every channel.

I sat dumbfounded, watching in utter terror as the 2nd tower went down.
All I could think was "My daughter will be born during WWIII".
The images playing through my mind were of what my Grandmother and Grandfather went through, during WWI and WWII. Then images of Vietnam through my head next (my father was in Vietnam...)
I had braxton hicks all day and night as a result of my fear (I'm surprised I didn't go into labour, Mereena was born 25Oct).
I kept thinking "Canada is peaceful, who's going to bomb us?" and then someone said "ahhh but we're friends with the US.... and right in between everyone"....
I was truly petrified.

Then I worried for my family in NY.
We didn't hear whether my cousin Michelle was safe until very late the next night (she worked in the towers and was late that day).
Her brother, thankfully, hadn't yet completed his fireman course and so wasn't called to duty and nor was his 'future' wife. They were safe.
My uncle had retired a few years before as a Fireman due to smoke-inhalation-induced-Asthma. He was safe.

To this day, I do NOT watch any sort of Newscast on TV, so I'm pretty ignorant of current affairs (unless it gets mentioned on FAcebook).
I don't read newspapers anymore either.

I just can't handle the stress and emotional upheaval it causes to see such atrocities around the world and be powerless to stop them.
I now refuse to worry about things I can't change and focus on things that I can.

I hope to never see anything to terrible again.

I was at work at the airport, that was a crazy day! X

Latest posts

Back