A big tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your biggest tip

• My clients are cheapskates - 0

Votes: 80 19.5%
  • My clients are the norm -0 to 5

Votes: 207 50.4%
  • Im special - 5 to 10

Votes: 58 14.1%
  • Ive been blessed - 10 to 20

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • My clients have money to burn - over 20

Votes: 26 6.3%

• Total voters
I'm lucky in that almost everyone tips me and many of my clients have treated me to meals out at some point or another too!

I've been bought gifts, offered tickets to the theatre and been given free beauty treatments and chiropody treatments by clients in these industries as well! I quite often work a 12 hour day straight through and clients are forever bringing me chocolate, crisps and other snacks. It's great to know you're appreciated.

My most worthwhile tips have definitely come from clients who have had scary (and sometimes painful) acrylic extensions applied (using, I suspect, MMA-based products), after I've sat with them for hours to soak the offending substance off and given them a conditioning manicure. They've arrived in floods of tears, madly panicking and left happy before now. It's rewarding enough to know you've helped, but the tip that follows show just how much it means to them.

G. x

Mostly I get between 2 and 5 pounds from my regular clients. Occasionaly I get up to 10 or 20 pounds from a new client on their first visit. Some clients don't tip at all, apart from Christmas and birthdays. Last Christmas I received many lovely gifts. A scarf, a feng shui relaxation kit, a book on origami and other cool stuff.

But for me the best gift of all is getting to know people, sharing and caring over the years.
(How corny is that?!)
:)

I am extremely blessed, I work in a Spa in Downtown Chicago,Ill, and the prices are already pretty high. Manicures $25-$50, Pedicures $45-$75, Full Sets $80, so the income is already pretty nice. An average tip for me is $5-$8/mani, $10-$15/pedi & enhancements. The largest tip I received was from a wife of a famous man, who is also famous herself (i won't name), who was always late, or she would have her assistant call in to reschedule at the last minute. After doing this to me for a few months, I kindly told the front desk that I didn't want to see her on my books anymore because she was wasting my time. She was taking up space where someone else could have had an appointment. (Even though we have a 100% service charge for clients who don't show up). I was frustrated with her. Well, against my wishes, I saw her on my schedule again.....and politely had a fit! My boss told me to get over it and see if she would show up. Surprisingly, she did, assistant and all..........Well, as soon as she sat in my chair, she proceeded to apologize for every time she no-showed, or was extremely late. Explaining to me how erratic her schedule was, and how she never knew where she was going to be at a moments notice, she handed me 2 crisp $100 bills. AND after I had serviced her, tipped me another $20!!! This was devine intervention because a week prior, I was short $200 on my rent, and I had prayed to the Lord that he would provide a way. Well he certainly did!! I continue to see this woman occasionally whenever she is in town. Other than that, I do get $20 tips a few times a month. Later!

My fill-in clients usually tip $5-$7
Full Sets $5-$10

Pedicure $7-$12
Pedi + Nails= $15-$20

then there was that one time i gave a lady a plain manicure and I got $10
woohoo

i have a reg client she comes in more or less weekly who does tip v well abt £20 each time
but on average id say its between £1-2
Chrismas time is the best time for bigger tips like £5-10 from reg clients as well as the usual choccies and wine (i dunno what that says abt me....lol)
altho last yr my clients knew i was trying to lose weight so i dont get as many choccies......lol
i have been given jewellery, a suitcase set, teddy bears, a clock, flowers, candles, a wind chime (it has got butterflys on it and she thought of me must be the EzFlow logo!!...lol) plus other things over the yrs
clients can be so sweet and its nt abt how much someone gives you or what it cost that really counts its that they have thought of little old me their nail girl they see every 2-3 weeks:)

Jess
xox

Little Angel said:
Hiya

I usually get £1-2 per client, except for the odd few who give £5-15 very nice they are too.
I would never presume to add a tip i think it is very rude of the americans to expect one, my tips are given because i have done a good job not because they feel they have to.....
Where are you getting this? Who said that Americans "EXPECT" tips? I don't know anyone who adds a tip to the final bill, at least not for nails. Maybe for restaurants when they get large groups of people....but for nails? Who does this? I think everyone's tips are given because they have done a good job. And there are alot of nail techs that do a great job...In America and everywhere else! My clients certainly don't feel that "they have to" tip.

My biggest tip was from a regular client who is a hairdresser - she has always tipped well. Recently she tipped me £18 for £70 worth of treatments - wow I thought. Anyway she was going on holiday and we booked in her in fills for when she came back - but she didn't - oh no I thought what I have done to upset her and I still don't know - I left a message on her mobile but she never called me :( Do you think it is because I didn't go to her for my hair?

i dont know y, but since i have been working in the salon, which is also a hairdresser i have'nt had 1 tip, yes thats right, not 1. All the ladies tip the hairdressers like they think its customary to, but when they come to me, all i get is a thank you!!! Not that i expect alot, just a little bit of appreciation. The hairdressers just can't understand y i don't, and neither can i, as most of my customers do come back for more. Maybe its cause i've only been working there for 4 months and it could be that it takes a while to build this kind of relationship, whatever it is, theres no tips going on where i am!!

Regards Kerri x
:confused: :sad:

Hi.
My biggest tip - engagement ring with huge diamond (given by my future husband one day after a manicure). Usually I get £5-10 from my clients. Some of them giving me little presents.

Hi all...

i had a 15 year old girl see me for a full set not so long ago and she tipped me £5! i couldnt afford to have my nails done when i was 15 never mind tip the tech a fiver!!! ha ha!!!
kirsten x

Biggest tip i ever got was 'never eat yellow snow' LOL x

Most of my clients tip - usually between £2-£5. My biggest ever tip was when I did wedding make up for one of my clients and her bridemaids earlier this year, when I got a £50 tip - I was really shocked! I have also been given chocs, flowers, cards, a teddy, a dvd, vanilla pods???, earrings, candles, jewellery box, vase, goody bag of Tigi hair products, exercise bike and multigym and one client took me and my son to meet David Beckham last year!! - I love my job!!!

i usually get around £2 - £5, cant complain, this xmas will be my first one mobile so i will see how it goes.
zoe

Well I must say the tips here are nothing like you get in North America. I used to live off my tips and bank my pay checks.....sigh!. But I do have a lady who tips me a tenner every two weeks although I hate to say it but I deserve it. She is a picker and usually has a few knawed on nails and we all know how much we love that.....lol. (not!)

Happy Crimbo everyone!

Hi I'm a mobile tech LCN trained and have been tipped quite a few times since i trained a year ago. I have only had fivers nothing more and nothing less other than no tip at all. Some for extensions and some for manicures. Made me feel just great and pleased to know clients were really delighted with my work. Hope this helps with your poll.
happy new year all.

Tips?? I dont think people here in Sweden knows that word. Cheap Cheap. Even try to bargain the price even more.

My last few times i've been given £5 tips, i was completely over-the-moon!

I feel incredibly blessed when it comes to the tips I recieve. The majority of my clients tip me at least $5 for a rebalance. Most of my clients are very generous and bring me gifts for Christmas and my birthday. I think they all like to mother me.
Of course I have a couple of clients that tip $2 or nothing at all. Those are few and far between. The funny thing is, those are the clients that could easily afford to tip very well. One is a millionaire.... then again maybe that is why she has so much money, she likes to hold on to it! lol

I am mobile and I think that most of my clients are expecting something for nothing! I have a couple of clients that always tip me. Usually between £2 and £5, but mostly I don't get any extra. I did get a couple of boxes of chocs at Christmas though. I think it is much more likely that people tip in a salon than if you are mobile or at home.

generally my clients don't tip that much but one lady gave me a tip of 10 quid when I did her holiday mani and pedi:green:

Latest posts

Back