A bit depressed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the moan geeks!

It all started out last week when i did a set of gel ext on a client. I have been a nail tech for four years, with a good returning client base. She was very happy, i was happy in my work.
The following day I get a complaint that they just, "don't look right."
I ask what she means and she asks me if she can come in and show me. So i gave her three seperate times I was available, she was available at none of those.

She said she felt cheated and that she would have to get them "fixed" elsewhere. I said that i had offered her three different times and days to which she couldn't make, so without seeing them I couldn't take further action.

This lady also had a spray tan, pedi, brow wax & tint and party lashes with me to which there was no complaint. I know that none of this is my fault but I can't help but feel bad that a client wasn't happy.

Then i fell out with my colleague at work to which we still have not spoken about and I don't know how to. I don't want to go too much into it for different reasons but I had to walk out and felt belittled, I went home and cried. That is still playing on my mind.

Earlier this week, a regular spray tan client of mine brought in a friend for a spray tan to which I'm told and have seen she is telling everyone on facebook that it is and I quote, "utter ****" because it isn't dark enough.
It was a rapid tan and she wanted it dark so I showed her the directions detailing to shower after five hours and explained how rapid tans develop more after the initial wash off.

I have a very happy, returning client base and I know I am good at my job. But I think with all of this, I just feel like giving up! I don't hate thr job, but I am starting to dislike some of the people that go with it. I take it very personally when someone complains even when things re clearly not my fault. I like everyone to be happy which I know is unrealistic as some people you can never please.

I'm also struggling with weight problems and have not had longer than 2 days off at a time for a year. I just think its getting ion top of me, wondering if I'm cut out for this? Ive been in business for four years, but recently Im wondering if I still want to do this.

Sorry for the morbid tone but I really need some advice from people who understand the position I'm in, theres only so much loved ones can say as they don't have a full comprehension.

Thanks in advance xxx

Chin up honey I feel like crying for you , as you said u offered several times it seems to me client maybe being difficult , last thing we want is to be losing clients if u still feel this bad and worried about rep call her back and try to rebook. As for girl with spray tan forget her.. Some u win some u lose , u would not have regulars if you were not a good therapist sending hugs x

Hi I'm in exactly the same position as you I actually posted a thread earlier about it. I've had a couple people suddenly complain after having the same treatment done for the third time and a lot of it is because they've found some where cheaper. I done some eyelashes on someone and she loved them then slagged them off just because she found some one cheaper!
It really upset me why people have to be like this I spoke to a few friends and they said the same happens to them some people just want to scam you.
I really feel like giving up as well and i've had to take a break for the mean while because I do love it but I think maybe I'm too sensitive?
Xxx

Hi Fluffydreams,

I notice that you posted your thread at half one in the morning.

It's not uncommon to feel miserable in the early hours even when things are not too bad. Hopefully, if you had a decent night's sleep, you might be feeling a bit chirpier today.

However, here are some of my thoughts. They may not work for you but perhaps reading them will give you a laugh anyway. (I like to number things as it helps to separate stuff out in my head)

1. We all have ****ty days. That's life. However, the difference between us at the moment is just our perspective on stuff.
You clearly need a break and a chance to unwind and put things into some perspective and start to appreciate whats going well in your life and all your good qualities.

2. No-one can enjoy their job and perform at their best 24/7 without some regular time out for pleasure, rest and reflection. This doesn't change regardless of what job you do. You must nurture yourself.

3. It's a shame to fall out with colleagues at work. Perhaps you could write down (just for yourself) some words to describe what has upset you and how you feel about it? Just getting it out of your internal system can help to clarify matters and stop them churning around inside.

4. It's quite likely that your colleague didn't intend to hurt your feelings and may not have appreciated how fragile you're feeling at the moment. Once you have written your feelings and thoughts down, you may feel more comfortable raising the matter with your colleague directly. They don't need to see your notes.:lol:

5. You've already acknowledged that you are good at your job and that it's a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to love you and your work all the time. That's a great start. Just keep focussing on the positives.

6. Get some more paper and write down all the things that are great about you, your life, your achievements etc. NOTHING NEGATIVE at all!
First thing every morning and last thing at night evening for the next 7 days, read through your list and if possible, try to say some of the words/phrases to yourself as you drop off to sleep.

7. When I'm in a low mood, I like to watch a funny dvd on my own and have a good laugh. Cheers me up no end and I can face everyone again in no time.

8. Everything changes.

Sending you big hugs, Linzi xx:hug::hug:

hun i feel for you,

its obviously all got on top of you and what you need is a break, doesn't matter where or how you need a break, to put things into perspective.

then when you have had a break you need to decide if you love doing beauty or not?cos if you don't there's no point going on, but if you do remember this:

1. you cant please everyone but can only do your best
2. always make time for yourself so you don't feel as if you are always working!Doesnt matter what it is you do just something for you, even if you only go for a walk.........read a book.......have a long hot bath.....anything
3. lastly, keep smiling, there are ppl out there who are just spiteful and malicious so no matter what you do it will never be enough.....that is their loss and not yours, if they want cheaper let them go, we as professionals price ourselves according to our worth and if these ppl do not want the best who are we to judge them!!xxx

Fluffy dreams honestly don't worry. Clients are sooooo fickle! Do not let anyone ever dent your confidence, client or no client, stick up for yourself and keep smiling:biggrin:

Linzi,

That is such great advice, reading through it, it just put a smile on my face, best advice I've heard in a while! And everyone elses advice is really good too!

Chin up and have a few days off, always does wonders for me and I'm all ready to go back and do beauty with as much force as I have!

Hope everything works out ok!
Leanne
X

I have a motto on my website 'if you have a complaint, tell me, if you don't, tell everyone!' you have offered to rectify the nails, you didn't know the tan wasnt dark enough (and you said the client wanted a rapid tan so that's not your fault) so don't beat yourself up over a few rude and picky clients (I say rude as they haven't given you a chance to defend yourself or rectify anything), unfortunately dealing with so many different people, of course you will get this from time to time. Do you really think everyone who sees a George Clooney film will love everything about everyone he does? Or if someone visits Gordon Ramsay restaurant, I'm sure there are a few who don't like his food. But they are still pros and good at their jobs just like I'm am sure you are. Same with your colleague, you are thrown together with all sorts of people who have their own stresses in life so your bound to disagree at some point. How you deal with all of this is what counts, colleague, if you can, have a chat and put your problems to one side if you can and remain professional if not friends. Clients, concentrate on your regulars and future clients and put these others behind you as you've not been given a chance with them, move on, hope your feeling better soon x

Thankyou everyone for all your great advice!
I do feel a little better today but I also think it's because I am full of cold too which never helps. I woke up to a flurry of missed calls from new and existing clients which made me smile.
Going into work later - I took the majority of today off and I am determined to take some time next week or the following week (depending on my diary).

I do enjoy beauty, I always have. I think you all are right, I just need a break! Hopefully this cold will shift soon too. I will talk to my colleague and try to clear the air as well.

Thankyou again geeks xxx

Awwww, chin up!! You've just had a bad week, and unfortunately we all get them. You know that you're good at your job, and your client base speaks for itself. You just get really awkward clients sometimes, you can't please everyone!! Xx

Brilliant replies so far and i hope youre feeling a bit better now honey :)

I had a thought whilst reading through everyones replies.... The vast majority if not all of us geeks work in this industry because we love it. Ive worked in other industries and yes a **** day takes it toll. In this industry i think we take it to heart that bit more because we love it so much and in some peoples cases their business is their baby. When we get complaints or difficult or rude clients it feels a personal slight on us. Its like having an argument or row with our boyfriend, hubby or someone close.

As said honey we all need time to stop breathe and smell the roses. Look after you missus and get yourself back on track both health wise, mentally and physically.

Love n hugs chuck x x x

Hi Fluffydreams,

I notice that you posted your thread at half one in the morning.

It's not uncommon to feel miserable in the early hours even when things are not too bad. Hopefully, if you had a decent night's sleep, you might be feeling a bit chirpier today.

However, here are some of my thoughts. They may not work for you but perhaps reading them will give you a laugh anyway. (I like to number things as it helps to separate stuff out in my head)

1. We all have ****ty days. That's life. However, the difference between us at the moment is just our perspective on stuff.
You clearly need a break and a chance to unwind and put things into some perspective and start to appreciate whats going well in your life and all your good qualities.

2. No-one can enjoy their job and perform at their best 24/7 without some regular time out for pleasure, rest and reflection. This doesn't change regardless of what job you do. You must nurture yourself.

3. It's a shame to fall out with colleagues at work. Perhaps you could write down (just for yourself) some words to describe what has upset you and how you feel about it? Just getting it out of your internal system can help to clarify matters and stop them churning around inside.

4. It's quite likely that your colleague didn't intend to hurt your feelings and may not have appreciated how fragile you're feeling at the moment. Once you have written your feelings and thoughts down, you may feel more comfortable raising the matter with your colleague directly. They don't need to see your notes.:lol:

5. You've already acknowledged that you are good at your job and that it's a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to love you and your work all the time. That's a great start. Just keep focussing on the positives.

6. Get some more paper and write down all the things that are great about you, your life, your achievements etc. NOTHING NEGATIVE at all!
First thing every morning and last thing at night evening for the next 7 days, read through your list and if possible, try to say some of the words/phrases to yourself as you drop off to sleep.

7. When I'm in a low mood, I like to watch a funny dvd on my own and have a good laugh. Cheers me up no end and I can face everyone again in no time.

8. Everything changes.

Sending you big hugs, Linzi xx:hug::hug:

Bloody well said :biggrin: x

Brilliant replies so far and i hope youre feeling a bit better now honey :)

I had a thought whilst reading through everyones replies.... The vast majority if not all of us geeks work in this industry because we love it. Ive worked in other industries and yes a **** day takes it toll. In this industry i think we take it to heart that bit more because we love it so much and in some peoples cases their business is their baby. When we get complaints or difficult or rude clients it feels a personal slight on us. Its like having an argument or row with our boyfriend, hubby or someone close.

As said honey we all need time to stop breathe and smell the roses. Look after you missus and get yourself back on track both health wise, mentally and physically.

Love n hugs chuck x x x

I think you hit the nail on the head there happyfeet! I do care more about it and take it extremely personally as I have put my everything into my business, training, customer service etc.
So much so that I was in the final 3 nominees for customer service awards on my local radio (star radio) proud :)

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice, i agree with all of it. Tomorrow is another day :)

congrats fluffydreams!!

I had a conversation with my mum the other day when I was giving her a manicure;-

Leanne, how much did all this kit and products cost you? Are you really wanting to do this for the rest of your life as thats a lot of money to have wasted on products that you wont ever use again.

I just looked at her and was like, this stuff is expensive yes but I've been given some things for birthdays and christmas. Don't forget you bought my beauty couch for me 3 christmases ago! Beauty is my baby and people love me for thinking so, if I didn't spend money on beauty, you wouldnt be getting a manicure right now!

Even though I gave her a pretty good answer, I did feel a little hurt that I had put all this money into beauty and she thinks I might quit. Even though she thinks so, I'm keeping on with it because I love it and to show her I can do it.

So if you do really love it, stuff everyone else, whatever they may say, keep doing it!!!

Leanne
X

Latest posts

Back