A difficult job!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmad

Reaction score
Guys,
Please share your opinions on this with me......
Had a client a couple of days ago who presented me with a catalogue of disasters
Trauma/split to both thumbs below the free egde, quite old, no infection but until it grows out will continue to distort the nail shape. Client said that they were due to accidents whilst wearing extensions (she works in a warehouse)
She had freqented a very poor drill operator for some time. Each nail had several levels to it from over drilling, she couldn't believe that I completed the whole process without a drill and remarked that it was so much more of a pampering experience.
There were white areas (perhaps a little separation) on a couple of nails going vertically down from the free edge. I discussed fungal infection with her and she said no and that they were due to trauma again accidents at work which seemed plausible given the way they looked.
I proceeded to give her the best acrylics I could, kept them short and gave them a decent shape to compensate for the problem areas. I could not bring myself to apply primer, they were in such a state but I did say that I would attend to any early problems without charge. I really felt like she needed to be looked after a little more, she didn't even know of the benefits of cuticle oil!

I haven't heard from her so I assume they are still on I'm wondering though whether I should suggest a fungal treatment as a preventative given the amount of problems she has. I read that Dr G's Clear Nail is good and can be used whilst structures are still on what do you think?

A fungal infection on nails is very rare given the fact that the right condidtions are just not normaly present for a fungus to survive. They like to live where it is dark and moist and warm ... this just is not how most fingers are.

Apart from those who sell topical medicines for fungus, most dostors agree that a topical medication is NO CURE for a true fungal infection. A true fungus is very difficult to get rid of and Internal medication can work only over a long period of time and they are very expensive and one should not take them for too long.

It sounds as though she has surface dehydration on her nails from over filing, repeated trauma etc OR/AND a bit of onycholysis.

My advice is not to go with the fungal thing. If it were fungus, then you would see crustyness and wetness and you would be able to smell it. Not nice. Itisnot your place to diagnose or prescribe medication in any case. If youreally suspect something going on, then send her to a GP or Podiatrist to have her nails examined.

Thanks Gigi,
There were none of the symptoms you describe - thank goodness!
I'll take your advice and unless I see it develop into something else I'll leave it at that. What do you think my chances of them staying on are without primer? -on reflection it was a silly not to put it on.

emmad said:
Thanks Gigi,
There were none of the symptoms you describe - thank goodness!
I'll take your advice and unless I see it develop into something else I'll leave it at that. What do you think my chances of them staying on are without primer? -on reflection it was a silly not to put it on.
Well you know, if the nail surface was dry enough (which it sounds like it was) you will probably be ok without primer. However, there is no reason not to use primer if you want to. Primer does not do anything at all that affects the physical condition of the nail plate apart from to make the surface very 'welcoming' to the Liquid/powder!!

I personally have never used primer of any kind for more than 10 years .. never. Some systems do not require it.

I do not think you will see anything developing as I said, the conditions are not there to make a fungus want to grow!! Time will renew these nails along with a gentle appraoch form the anil technician.

Thanks again Gigi!
So nice to have you around!

Latest posts

Back