A Dilemma - do you think I am biting off more than I can chew?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe90

Reaction score
I am currently self employed full time (room renting) and have just signed up to do my level 3 holistic therapies course which will be 14 hours per week.

I have often thought that I haven't had much salon experience and therefore have never had the opportunity of learning more from much more experienced therapists. With this in mind I applied for a job with a new salon which is opening locally (this was before I applied for my level 3 course). I was told yesterday that the job was mine if I want it and I could do virtually whatever hours I wanted to do but agreed on Saturday and one late evening.

I know I want to do everything but not sure if it will all get a bit too much. My college course will only be 10 months, so do you think it is a viable option doing all 3.

Your honest opinions would be much appreciate - give it to me straight!

If the new salon doesn't mind that you are also renting a room then I would go for it !

Half of what I know I have learnt from working with other therapists, I think employment in beauty salons is quite hard to come by these days so I would jump at the chance if i were you ! :hug:

Thanks Juliette, I have been totally up front with the new salon owner and she is quite happy for me to carry on doing my own thing. I have assured her that I would never steal clients from her.

I just thought it was a fantastic opportunity but I know it is going to be hard work.

Honestly, its what matters to you. For me 4 days a week I pull 15 hour days 2 days a week 8 hour days and Sundays off. I work no less than 70 hours a week and sometimes up 80. Is it worth yes most defiantly. I sometimes have to take a day off to do education courses. I like what I do so it doesnt make it too bad.

Good Luck hope everything works out well for ya.

Just wondering if you really think you will get the salon experience at the new salon from one late night and a Sat....hopefully (for the salon owner) you'll be booked up on those days so when are you going to be able to learn from the other therapists?

I have never worked in a salon in the sense you are speaking about and I don't think it held me back.

You'll be working like a navvy and you'll have homework, portfolio etc to do on your new course.....I just wonder what the new salon position will really give you.....this is just from my perspective having gone from self-employed booth renter to salon owner without any 'proper' salon experience.......I guess it depends on how much you believe in yourself and what you can gain from working in the other salon....what kind of salon are you renting in at the moment?

Just wondering if you really think you will get the salon experience at the new salon from one late night and a Sat....hopefully (for the salon owner) you'll be booked up on those days so when are you going to be able to learn from the other therapists?

I have never worked in a salon in the sense you are speaking about and I don't think it held me back.

You'll be working like a navvy and you'll have homework, portfolio etc to do on your new course.....I just wonder what the new salon position will really give you.....this is just from my perspective having gone from self-employed booth renter to salon owner without any 'proper' salon experience.......I guess it depends on how much you believe in yourself and what you can gain from working in the other salon....what kind of salon are you renting in at the moment?

I have to say I was thinking along these lines as well; I have "gone it alone" for four years, starting as a mobile and now working from home and now have a very successful business, I have no "salon" experience whatsoever. . . . just can't help feeling you will be so so overworked hun x

what kind of salon are you renting in at the moment?
Thanks Cathie - at the mo I have a room above a hairdressers. It isn't a trendy salon and most of the clients are 60+ (apart from my spray tan clients) so I don't think that I get the mix of clients and treatments I really want to do.

Most of the treatments I get booked for are sugaring (mainly lip/chins etc) and spray tanning. I feel that I need more experience with facials and nails etc.

It is sometimes a real struggle to attract new clients and I really want to learn more. I read lots of books and yes this does help me, but I feel I need a mentor if you like to bounce ideas/techniques from.

I think I know what my decision should be but I don't want to burn any bridges just yet.

Thanks Cathie - at the mo I have a room above a hairdressers. It isn't a trendy salon and most of the clients are 60+ (apart from my spray tan clients) so I don't think that I get the mix of clients and treatments I really want to do.

Most of the treatments I get booked for are sugaring (mainly lip/chins etc) and spray tanning. I feel that I need more experience with facials and nails etc.

It is sometimes a real struggle to attract new clients and I really want to learn more. I read lots of books and yes this does help me, but I feel I need a mentor if you like to bounce ideas/techniques from.

I think I know what my decision should be but I don't want to burn any bridges just yet.
Now I can see where you are coming from and I guess you are wanting to broaden your hoizons and experience with different treatments, not just the same old that you are doing at the moment.

Could you not cut your hours in the room you rent....are you fully booked?....and maybe do more hours at the salon you spoke about where you would be using your skills for a more diverse range of treatments, which from what you said, I am assuming you want to do?

If the new salon is busy and you will be too, maybe you won't get the mentor you are looking for...I know what it's like finding time to mentor and train people (even in my small environment), but you will gain the exprience you are looking for and even without a salon mentor....you'll be finding yourself questions to ask here....which will be answered...as you know....that's how I built myself up...

Good luck in whatever you decide to do xxx :hug:

Latest posts

Back