A&E for tooth pain and abscess

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordon

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been to a&e for anything dental? I'm about to go and I'm scared [emoji37] I've held off for 2 days of illness and agony and last night I nearly called an ambulance for myself but I persevered and rang for an emergency appointment a few mins ago at the dentist but they can't see me until the 17th so this is my only option [emoji27]

Ring 111 first!! If a&e is the best place for you they'll send you that and make sure they 'book you in' or give you a time slot or you'll be waiting ages!!

Dental pain is awful, so I do feel for you. If you're in serious pain, you should be able to get an emergency dental appointment. Is it an NHS dentist? Go to the surgery now and insist you're seen today because if it's an infection and gets left, it could lead to very serious consequences. Be firm.

A&E should only be used for actual serious emergencies not because your dentist is too busy.
And ambulances likewise! But you obviously know that. ;)

I am not quite sure what the situation is in the UK but here you would never call an ambulance with dental pain. Ambulances are really for Emergencies and life or death situations.

We do have dental clinics attached to some of our hospital that see people in severe pain with dental problems so maybe ring the non emergency number and they maybe able to tell you of the nearest hospital.

Definitely call 111. They should be able to advise about emergency dental services available nearby.

I had this last year with neuralgia pain. My god I honestly couldn't breathe or open my eyes when it had surges of pain. I phoned 111 and was told my area doesn't have any emergency dentists and also was told a&e do not deal with teeth at all. I ended up waiting a weekend in horrendous pain and on the Monday I refused to stop calling my dentist without getting a appointment that day lol. I would not call a ambulance ever for dental problems, they will not be happy as they could be seeing people in life or death situations.
If it helps I lived on warm porridge, painkillers and not opening my mouth outside due to the cold air just to get by. If your forced to wait I would call everyday to see about cancellations, and you could always go to another dentist and ask them to help as you can't wait for your own dentist.

Oh hi everyone my dentist wouldn't see me until I kicked of and said I'd been to a&e and been pumped full of codeine which is nice but not really working but I was pretty stoned when they first gave me it. The lovely lady on the desk has squeezed me in at one o'clock and I really hope they pull the little sucker out, it's pretty vile

I had this last year with neuralgia pain. My god I honestly couldn't breathe or open my eyes when it had surges of pain. I phoned 111 and was told my area doesn't have any emergency dentists and also was told a&e do not deal with teeth at all. I ended up waiting a weekend in horrendous pain and on the Monday I refused to stop calling my dentist without getting a appointment that day lol. I would not call a ambulance ever for dental problems, they will not be happy as they could be seeing people in life or death situations.
If it helps I lived on warm porridge, painkillers and not opening my mouth outside due to the cold air just to get by. If your forced to wait I would call everyday to see about cancellations, and you could always go to another dentist and ask them to help as you can't wait for your own dentist.
I've been living on painkillers the abscess has killed all hunger and if I try to eat I throw it back up. I must admit I think I've learned my lesson and will go to every check up do the rest of my life now [emoji15]

It would NEVER occur to me to go to A and E because of dental pain. I would go into the dentist if they have no emergency appointments. I'm sure they'd find one. Or give yo the number of an emergency dentist.

We have a tarka doc who deals with minor things like this. 111 would be able to advise.

Also, I doubt they'll pull it if it's full of infection. You'll get antibiotics and painkillers for a week.

Also, I doubt they'll pull it if it's full of infection. You'll get antibiotics and painkillers for a week.
You think so? I just want something to fix the mess I'm in, I only have half a tooth above the pain, so i can't stay anyways. I was told to go to a&e by the dentist but when I rang them back kicking off that nothing had been done they decided to squeeze me in.

Hi guys [emoji4] the lovely dentist was so kind and reassuring, probably the best I've ever been too, he extracted my tooth no bother and he showed me the abscess which was big and gross an no wonder I've been feeling so ill. Happy ending :) hopefully no more pain. Thanks for everyone sympathies and advice I was pretty scared and in awful pain this morning when I first posted x

Glad about that xx

Glad you got it sorted and a nice dentist too. :)

There's no NHS system here in Ireland and my friend's 16 yr old daughter was in pain for weeks during her exam season as the local dentist struggled to pull a wisdom tooth. Eventually she had to go into hospital to have it extracted and it cost over €700!

The NHS is an amazing resource that probably won't be fully appreciated until it's no longer there. But let's hope not!

You don't have NHS?! [emoji33]

You don't have NHS?! [emoji33]

Lol, no.
It's only in the UK inc. Northern Ireland.

I live down south in the Republic of Ireland. :)

Glad you got it sorted and a nice dentist too. :)

There's no NHS system here in Ireland and my friend's 16 yr old daughter was in pain for weeks during her exam season as the local dentist struggled to pull a wisdom tooth. Eventually she had to go into hospital to have it extracted and it cost over €700!

The NHS is an amazing resource that probably won't be fully appreciated until it's no longer there. But let's hope not!
That's horrible, no human should be without easy and affordable access to healthcare it's a human right [emoji37] x

Glad you got sorted Jordon. Untreated absess can kill you. Never had the misfortune of one myself thank god . Toothache yes and that was enough.

Latest posts

Back