A Fair Rate of Pay???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you consider a fair hourly rate?

• Minimum wage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £5.00

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • £6.00

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • £7.00

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • £10.00

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Angel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
hiya

I know this will vary from area to area but i wanted to get your opinions on what you think is a fair hourly rate of pay in a salon. Do you also think that this should be plus comission/ bonus?

Whenever i can't make an appointment i pay a friend of mine (that i trained at college with) £10 an hour and she goes into my shop and does my nail clients for me... It's all my stuff and i still have to pay the owner rent so i think this is fair enough...

PS: I'm in Croydon :p

Hi

I am in Essex and I recently saw an advert for experienced (2 years) LCN tech and they were paying £8.00 p/h plus benefits (pension paid hols etc) I think this is reasonable but I dont see you making much money paying £10.00 p/h I only charge £10.00 for a basic manicure which takes about 50mins a luxury manicure is £15.00 and takes an hour so where is the profit???

Joxxxx

Little Angel said:
hiya

I know this will vary from area to area but i wanted to get your opinions on what you think is a fair hourly rate of pay. Do you also think that this should be plus comission/ bonus?

I'm in the Nottinghamshire area (Not the City) and I think Tech's get paid about £6.00 an hour around here, but then again, in my area there are just a lot of 1-man bands and the few 'Nail Salons' have real young girls in them and a couple have gone bust!!!

I am currently looking into branching out to my own salon (as I'm a 1-man band), and think if it were me, I'd start a 'newbie' tech off of £5.00 an hour with an incentive scheme e.g. % of retail items sold...or.. bonus for new clients he's/she's talked into booking an appointment...etc

Then increment his/her pay as he/she becomes more and more skilled, maintaining the % or bonus deal to keep him/her motivated.

HTH

Jenny :biggrin:

hi jenny

thanks for that, there have been 11 votes up to now for £10 !! I dont know how a salon would stay in business paying that rate. Realisticly speaking if you work 8 hours a day and do 2x full sets @ £35.00 and 2x infills @ £25.00 you have brought in £120 if your paying £10 thats £80in wages then you have the cost of the products and rent and utilities it dosent seem worth the bother of opening does it??

I do the same as you a basic wage but then i do % of what they earn as a bonus. I think it is more motivating.

I agree with you on that one Tracy, I struggle to understand how you could pay someone £10 an hour and still make profit?!!??

I think there is a fine balance of paying your tech's what they are worth, whilst making a profit, whilst keeping them motivated.

I reckon basic plus bonus/commission is the way to go.

Jenny x

I think payment structure, should also reflect the Technicians skill and education.........
Think of it as a ladder, expirience and Qualification should be reflected in their pay....
Afterall they have busted a gut and payed for it themselfs, to get that extra knowledge and it has to be payed for.....by someone lol...........

If you have different prices in a Salon, for Different expierience levels, then a more qualified/expirienced Tech can get more pay then a newbie.....And a newbie will be after a while on the next step of the ladder, becoming a Senior Technician.......
Then there is the bonus scheme............% on weekly takings and % on retail..........
It takes carefull working out!!!!!

So many new Techs frown at the pay they are offered, they think , well her on the next table is getting much more..........
Rather then taking that as a , worth less then her attitude, they should use it as a goal and say , thats what I will be on , just watch me lol !!!!!

The other way around pay structure is, rent the desk!!!!!
That way, the better you are, the busier you are, the more money you will make !!!!

Fair pay is a mine field................

Hi all

just thought i would bump this back up, could you all when you vote give me a justification for your vote?? ie 17 people so far have voted for £10 per hour.

I would like to know your opinions.

Many thanks ..............

I voted for £10 an hour, only because i am mobile and going out for less than that wouldnt be worth it. However if i was in a salon being employed or employing someone i would say more along the £6.00 ph rate.
Juls

Hiya angel,
I voted £10 an hour, Because like Julie being mobile and using my petrol any less wouldnt be worth me doing it.
I feel in a salon, You would have to pay depending on the tech experience.

I have not a clue what these symbols are below, i.e., exactly what they represent, that is:

Minimum wage
£5.00
£6.00
£7.00
£10.00

Fair wage depends upon the job description/duties, IMHO. "Nailsinlondon1" theory more closely matches my own:
" . . . rent the desk!!!!!

That way, the better you are, the busier you are, the more money you will make !!!!
Right now I am commissioned 65:35 with plan of going booth rent when I am able.

hello,

sorry to confuse you the symbols are GB pounds(£5.00 is 5 pounds) and are meant as an hourly rate, to work in a salon. We dont have that many desk rentals in my area. Hope this has cleared things up for you.

aminah said:
I have not a clue what these symbols are below, i.e., exactly what they represent, that is:

Minimum wage
£5.00
£6.00
£7.00
£10.00

I go with the rent a table crew which is what i do now in a hair salon. I'm self-employed, my own boss and I make more money doing it this way than i would if i were an employee in a salon when I could get paid more for working in tesco doing a totally unskilled job.

My rent is for the week and i only work 2 1/2 days as i didn't watch enough tv and have 3 young children. When i can put in more hours, the sky's the limit....can't wiat!!!!!

Cathie.X

i can only speak from my experience in a salon last year, but they paid the minimum £4.50 per hr, (only the manageress got £5.00)then got 10% of whatever the service was, whether it was full sets, infills or mani/pedi, then 5% for retail items, BUT there was 6 techs and 3 beauticians there AND you worked back to back, so one client each per hour throughout the day, no one did p&w, only french white tips or pearl tips then a pink overlay,everyone had to do a full set in under 1 hour.

ps, i left lol

Hiya. What's the going daily rate to rent a space in say a hairdressers or tanning shop? Cheers.

I pay £50 for the week.

I guess a lot of it has to do with location too. We're not City Centre and not quite high street. We're located in a local shopping precinct. The salon I work from is v modern - recently refurbished and always busy.

Initially most of my clients were existing clients of the salon but now i'm starting to get more referrals which is good news :)!

Hi

Many Thanks to all that voted and commented.

Hi!

I'm in Warwickshire and I have to say that when I was offered £5 p.h. to work as a nail tech in a busy local salon, I was insulted. The supermarkets and fast food restaurants pay more around here!!! And the price of housing is horrendous.

Anyhoo, bench rent is a much better option for both techs AND salon owners, by my reckoning.

Oh, and average cost of renting a desk for a self-employed technician where I live (Stratford upon Avon) seems to be £200.00 per week (£867.00 per month).

TTFN,

G. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back