A few application problems with Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryAnnMast

MaryAnn
Reaction score
Hey, geeks! This is my first post & I hope I get it right as well as the answers to my questions

I have/had gotten my nails done with acrylics for years. I just never got good at doing them especially on myself.
About a year ago my health made it impossible to go to the salon to have them done but I remembered watching gels done next to me & thought they looked a lot easier than acrylics. So, when I became stuck at home I decided to research gel products.
I decided on Gelish.
I watched a video that was pretty informative except for the fact it said I could use structure with tips--no builder; just foundation, structure (or polish) & top coat--needless to say they didn't last more than a few days. This method has been referred to as "Party Nails" btw because they're good for a special occasion but not long term.

They always broke at the tip, but stayed on my natural nail until I took it off. That being said--my prep must be pretty good... No?

Now that I'm 90% sure of what to do; should I use both dehydrator & primer? I know they always did with my acrylics. If so should I dehydrate my entire nail after buffing but before the tip or put on the tip, dehydrate, & prime the natural nail only? Does the primer go on the tip? I don't seem to recall that ever happening but should it go on the tip for gel?
Also, my nail beds are flat & I prefer them on the thicker side. Can I use fiberglass in between builds for strength & thickness at the apex?
If I finish with the structure will that smooth everything out for the most part (hate having to file for a shape--could never get it right). Then file, buff & top coat... Right?
I've left out several what I'd call basic steps but I can give the whole routine once I have these questions answered.

Thank you so much for your time & any help with these questions!
XxOo

Id definitely recommend a gelish class. It's not expensive and covers all of these things, troubleshooting, application etc. x

I personally didn't have any luck with the structure gel building over a form. They never got hard enough, it works well for a repair but not for me in the sculpting form. U could try to build it for yourself, but don't use primer on the tip from what I've read, never used tips when I did traditional gels only sculpted, good luck.

i don't like it at all, I used it for fixing a broken nail and it was hopeless, the nail didn't last more than a few days. I have had so many problems with Gelish over the last 7 months, not curing, shrinkage... Nail Harmony told me to go on one of their courses.... it was good but taught me nothing. Now I'm looking to find another brand, good customer service isn't their strongest point.

Hi ladies, I'd never really recommend using structure gel with a tip or to extend - it just isn't strong enough. It's still a soft, soak off gel and that will never really be strong enough to hold a tip, if you bash it, it'll bend and that's why your tips were likely breaking off. Nicola - I'll be happy to help you with everything you're struggling with today if you'd like to give the office a call on 01708 465 900 and ask for Jazz. I'll try and help sort out why you didn't get on with structure gel and hopefully try to resolve your technical issues. Sorry for any problems you've been having that haven't already been resolved! x

Latest posts

Back