A few questions about odorless monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahyeah

Reaction score
so a thread on another site got me thinking and I hope some more experienced techs can shed some light on the subject for me:) the only odorless monomer I've used is NSI spa, and I only used it a few times. im wondering if all odorless systems have the roll off layer? also, what exactly is the difference between the odorless and regular monomer (besides the smell obviously.) are regular liquids better? if not why aren't they all odorless? does anyone have some pros and cons or comparisons? im thinking of ordering the spa liquid because I have a few clients that complain about the smell, right now im using a dip system on them but I would much rather use l&p. any advice will be greatly appreciated:)
Posted via Mobile Device

so a thread on another site got me thinking and I hope some more experienced techs can shed some light on the subject for me:) the only odorless monomer I've used is NSI spa, and I only used it a few times. im wondering if all odorless systems have the roll off layer? also, what exactly is the difference between the odorless and regular monomer (besides the smell obviously.) are regular liquids better? if not why aren't they all odorless? does anyone have some pros and cons or comparisons? im thinking of ordering the spa liquid because I have a few clients that complain about the smell, right now im using a dip system on them but I would much rather use l&p. any advice will be greatly appreciated:)
Posted via Mobile Device

With NSI Spa when you are finished applying wipe the nails with acetone this will get rid of the "roll off" and it will file like a traditional acrylic. Most lines do have the roll off. The easiest way to explain it is you have to give up something to get something. So to achieve odorless you have to give up some of the great features of regular l&p (uv protectors, wetting agents etc...) to have a monomer that is odorless. In my personal opinion yes regular monomers are much better than odorless. If they could make an odorless product that preformed like at traditional monomer than everyone would be using it!!

You can keep your odors to a minimum by working with just enough monomer for the service you are preforming. When you are finished dump the unused monomer onto your paper towel and sprinkle with powder. The powder will absorb the monomer and eliminate the odor. Work out of a dappen dish that has a lid. Dispose of all paper towels and waste into a garbage with a lid (diaper genies work great for this) Make sure you keep your lids on your product when you are not using them and store them in a cupboard.

hope this helps a bit :)

I would strongly recommend reading some of the fantastic resources such as Doug Schoons "product chemistry & nail anatomy" edition 2 - it will give you a MUCH greater understanding of the chemical difference between odourless and traditional monomer systems.

The bottom line is when you gain something you will lose something else...

Odourless have a much lower set rate, in some cases not curing completely, this causes much higher levels of irritation & allergy... The roll off layer is due to oxygen causing inhibition of the cure - ie. It is actually a sticky incompletely cured product... Much the same as occurs on the surface of gel - only thicker and deeper into the product application...

There is a very good reason CND don't do one - it's simply that Doug did not think it was a good health & safety choice compared to the full odour monomers they were able to formulate..

Hth's

Hi there! I don't know about NSI products, but I do know that INM has a sealant that goes with their odorless system (N.O.P.) This sealant is applied like polish over the entire enhancement. It hardens the product so their is no roll off and it gives it a really nice shine. I use this product because I am so used to regular l&p that I forget to make my odorless applications thicker to allow for roll off.

Have a great day!

i prefer to use acrylic gel instead of monomer. no smell, good to work with . try, maybe it helps

Latest posts

Back