A few questions for anyone who knows about fibreglass/silk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanmichael.l

Reaction score
Hey geeks!
So I've known about fibreglass/silk in nails for some time now, but I'm guessing been only 19 that it was something more popular before me. I've mainly known it and used it for repairs but was aware of using it somehow as an enhancement.. I finally did a little research on it last night and it's something I'd love to give a try, it looks lovely! But a couple of things I'm trying get my head around and can't seem to find answer too.

Firstly which one is the better fabric? Fibreglass or silk and why would you use one over the other?

Is there any difference between resin that you need to use an activator spray with (do you even need this?) and standard nail glue like the kind you would use to stick on tips or what you would get with stick on nails from the high street which you don't spray and just air dries?..

Also when using with tips, do the tips NEED to be blended? (Hate blending!) I know that you will get see the ridge of the join but would it weaken the enhancement at all? I'm thinking it would be ideal for someone who has managed to grow lovely long natural nails but one has completely broke off so cannot be repaired and doesn't want to have to shorten all the other nails to match, it would be ideal as a quick, thin, and cost effective temporary solution and would be covered with shellac so the join from not blending wouldn't be an issue?
Or perhaps used with well less tips?
And how long would you expect one to last? I'm trying to imagine how strong one is? I get that it's the weakest out of gel and acrylic which are pretty solid, but what would be more likely to break a fibreglass/silk enhancement or a long natural nail or are they about the same strength wise?.. Would it realistically be something worth offering, or are they completely outdated and only used because there was nothing better at the time.. A client wouldn't need to be unrealistically careful with it to be able to keep it on?

Also would it be good to use something like brisa lite smoothing gel on top of one for some extra strength?

And before everyone screams at me yes I have done training (with CND) I know in clueless but this is completely new to me.
Thanks everyone :)
Xxxx

Silk (and fibreglass) nails have been around for years and years, I'm 45 and I remember them being available when I was a teenager, so yes long before your 19 years! :wink2:

There used to be several suppliers, CND used to sell their version called Fabric#, that was well before 'hash-tag' became a thing, and it was pronounced 'Fabric Hash'. Our very own Ruth (former moderator) was a big Fabric# geek and won several competitions using it. Her nails and skill in the product are amazing.

In answer to some of your questions:-

I believe fibreglass material was produced in an effort to reduce costs as silk is/was very expensive. Both work perfectly well, silk is a 'denser' weave and as such can be trickier to fully saturate with resin. The more 'open' weave of fibreglass accepts the product slightly easier.

There are different viscosities of resin, to allow for structure building, etc. and as such, yes you can use the product for extensions and/or repairs. The thicker resin moves less obviously and can be used to build the stress apex and 'spine' giving the entire enhancement it's strength and durability. I would say it's the least strong of the products available. I regularly used it on my 'ladies that lunch' who wanted an overlay but didn't do much in the way of manual work.

Tips do not need to be blended, you can use white tips for a french for instance, but with any enhancement, blending the tip will give less chance for air-bubbles, lifting, etc. so practice, practice, practice, your blending, it's a skill worth perfecting.

I know of other techs using the fibreglass or silk material under products such as Brisa Lite for repair strengthening, and it appears to work very well. I think some have even used it with Shellac for repairs. Personally I've not had much luck but that is possibly my issue not the product or method.

Not very many suppliers offer the system any more,but it appears to be re-surfacing again, like most things, systems go in and out of fashion.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. I absolutely love doing silk/fibreglass nails, it can be a faff, but I love watching the material disappear when you add the resin and the clarity and thinness of the finished product.

Check out this link for Ruth's generic fibreglass tutorial, it's in the Articles>tutorials section, there's a couple more in there too if you want more information:-

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/6426-generic-fibreglass-silk-step-step.html

I also did a search on 'fabric#' there are lots of really old threads about the system which will give you lots of insight too. Most of the threads are dated around 2008 when it was a really popular system, that shows how fashions come and go :D

Hi
I use this methods a lot.
I use over tips and I do blend as I don't like the well less tips. I'd imagined you use a well less tip then just continue without blending as you usually would.
I use the brush on resin on the first layer of silk/fibreglass and the bottle of resin with the zozzle for building up the apex.
For repairing natural nails I only use the brush on rein and not the bottle as it creates a more natural look. I only use the activator when using the bottle resin as it dries it quicker instead of having to wait. But if you are slower at applying the resin anyway then it can usually be dry by the time you finish the other hand.
I prefer fibreglass to silk as it is just my preference, I find it easier to cut. Silk can sometimes separate from the backing sheet (my experience)
I do however get asked for silk by name as more people have heard of it. But the systems are both very similar strength wise so it is definitely down to personal preference.
Just be aware that using the resin activator can create some heat on the clients nail especially if they are sensitive or have damaged nails so just be aware of this when using it. I always warn the client they may feel some heat as the product cures so that they expect something.
Using a product such as glaze n go on the finished nails help to seal and protect them or if you don't use a uv lamp I fond a leather nail buffer fabulous for creating a mirror like shine on the nails and it protects them.
Most clients with a silk/fibreglass nail repair can just let it grow out with no need for more attention. Etc it won't need Infills etc as you only use it to repair the free edge (depending on where the split is)
Hth

Hi
I use this methods a lot.
I use over tips and I do blend as I don't like the well less tips. I'd imagined you use a well less tip then just continue without blending as you usually would.
I use the brush on resin on the first layer of silk/fibreglass and the bottle of resin with the zozzle for building up the apex.
For repairing natural nails I only use the brush on rein and not the bottle as it creates a more natural look. I only use the activator when using the bottle resin as it dries it quicker instead of having to wait. But if you are slower at applying the resin anyway then it can usually be dry by the time you finish the other hand.
I prefer fibreglass to silk as it is just my preference, I find it easier to cut. Silk can sometimes separate from the backing sheet (my experience)
I do however get asked for silk by name as more people have heard of it. But the systems are both very similar strength wise so it is definitely down to personal preference.
Just be aware that using the resin activator can create some heat on the clients nail especially if they are sensitive or have damaged nails so just be aware of this when using it. I always warn the client they may feel some heat as the product cures so that they expect something.
Using a product such as glaze n go on the finished nails help to seal and protect them or if you don't use a uv lamp I fond a leather nail buffer fabulous for creating a mirror like shine on the nails and it protects them.
Most clients with a silk/fibreglass nail repair can just let it grow out with no need for more attention. Etc it won't need Infills etc as you only use it to repair the free edge (depending on where the split is)
Hth

Thanks lovelys for all the info.. So basically all the activator is for is to make the resin dry quicker? It's not something you "need" is it.. Also if I was to use shellac over the top would it still require base coat would any of you know?x

Hi, i used to use fibre glass and silk gosh 12 years ago, as acrylic wasnt around,i thought the activator made it set? I always used it, i loved how thin and natural they were but very strong, i think if you were to to do shellac no base coat as you can rebalance altogether,however ive not used for a long time and things may have changed,good luck though its a great product to use

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The activator just speeds up the resin setting. Like I said brush on resin dries in about 1 minuits but the spray would dry it in a second. Depends how fast you work. I don't use the activator at all now as I mainly use brush on resin for nail repairs. If you are using with shellac no base coat is required. Just prepare the nail as usual for the silk and then go on top with your shellac colour and top coat. X

Latest posts

Back