A good nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty14

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to build up a collection of polishes to offer my clients but im on a budget can anyone recommend a good polish that wont cost me £9 a bottle to start out with?

Thanks
x:lol:

I don't think any polish will cost you £9 a bottle at trade prices.

If you want cheap and cheerful,then check out your wholesalers.Otherwise if you want ease of application,longevity,and a formula that will deliver a professional result then paying for a high end nail enamel is getting you the better deal

And why??

Because buying a cheaper version will not have the correct consistency,will not be easy to apply,will not have longevity,and you will probably be forking out more money than you think,so it is false economy.

Brand yourself,people nowadays know the higher ends,like CND,OPI,Essie,Jessica etc,and they will appreciate you stocking it than something you would find in a Hong Kong bazzar:!:

Thanks what's the thoughts on models own polishes x

I agree with Chameleon - good quality professional brands are worth the investment. I certainly wouldn't use something that could be bought in any chemist. I also think the Models Own bottle tops will be difficult to hold and get a professional finish with.

I use mostly OPI, plus a few Nubar and China Glaze. If you get your timing right, you can pick any of these quality brands up at the trade shows (there's on at Excel London in a couple of weeks).

Alternatively, I wait for the VAT free days at Sallys!! You then get OPI at trade price of around £x.xx :green:

As for models own polishes, it depends what they turn up with! I certainly wouldn't reduce my treatment cost just because they supplied their own poilsh. I'd also be inclined to get them to sign some kind of disclaimer on their record card to confirm they have been advised that the finish may not last as long.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for models own polishes, it depends what they turn up with! I certainly wouldn't reduce my treatment cost just because they supplied their own poilsh. I'd also be inclined to get them to sign some kind of disclaimer on their record card to confirm they have been advised that the finish may not last as long.

Models Own is a brand of polishes, not actually the model bringing their own polish with them. I havn't used them so can't really comment, the only thing I would note is the bottle top and that it looks like it could be a pain to apply with. I use OPI and if you set up an account with Lena White you will be able to get trade prices. Also you would be able to retail as well and I'm not too sure that Models Own sell at trade prices so that you could retail and make a profit...but don't hold me to that. Also as a client when getting a mani/pedi I'm not too sure how impressed I would be at using polishes like models own that I could buy myself at Boots. I think it would be better to invest in a better known brand like CND, OPI etc. hth

Thanks peeps

I've just realised that I registered with the beauty partnership and they have offered me a trade account, so I can get the china glaze for a good price with them. I think I may try these to start with.
Kx

It's definitely worth having a decent range of polishes, and a range that isn't available in Boots or elsewhere. Retail should be a big part of your focus because it's money that you don't have to "work" to earn.

CND's Colour and effect for me. There is a collection of base colours then a small collection of effects that you layer over the top to get any colour that you want.
Because there is a base set collection you wont ever end up with hundreds of different bottles. It was designed so that you have fewer bottles but the colour choice is unlimited. I think there are about 60 normal colours and then 15- 16 effect but they bring out a new collection of 2 certain times of the year ie spring /summer and autumn/ winter.
They are excellent quality, quick drying, and 3 free and good value ofr money too.
www.sweetsquared.co.uk or give them a ring to ask about setting up a secondary account 08452106060.
Jen xxxx

May I say, there seems to be a snobbery about using product that can be bought at the chemist, but then I see some of the low end product that can only be bought at beauty wholesalers which leaves much to be desired.

I use the Mavala range of polish and nail care which I buy direct at a discount, but that can be bought from selected chemists. It is an excellent range of varnish which has won beauty awards and can be bought over the counter for £3.99 for a little pot. I can buy a larger pot direct for little more than that and compares extremely well in price to the "big" brand names. The base coats are superb and the colours go on well and with a little care can last for ages on the nails. They also do not contain any formaldehyde or phthalates which are considered to be toxic nasties. The cuticle cream is fabulous as part of a water based manicure.

Although the original poster may be sorted now I just wanted to put my hand up for Mavala nail varnishes and hand care! :)

Latest posts

Back