A Guide to Spray Tanning...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly07

Reaction score
Recently there have been a lot of questions on the forums regarding spray tanning. Mostly asking the same questions

So to save hassle for everyone I've devised a guide aimed at beginners looking to start out and newbies to salon geek who'd like to look into spray tanning.

This list is not extensive and I'd like everyone who reads it to add there own bits of knowledge so the bronzing community can really be knowledgable from the ofset!

What is sunless tanning?
Sunless tanning uses dihydroxyacetone (D.H.A) and or Erythulose, that when applied to the skin it creates a reaction which causes the upper layers (stratum corneum) to turn brown. D.H.A has no know toxity and has been registered with the FDA since 1973.

Where to begin?
If your thinking of adding spray tanning to your list of treatments or even as a sole business your first need to think about a qualification.
Colleges and sunless tanning brands like Sienna x, fake bake and many more offer training. Ideally you want to be trained in the product you are offering but it's not essential as the skills are transferable it'll be the product knowledge that differs. When choosing a qualification you need to make sure your insurance company accepts it and that it won't limit you to one product.

Brands and products
if your just starting up you'll most likely be looking into buying more than just a solution, you'll need a tent, a spray gun to start aswell as considering aftercare leaflets, retail and other promotional items. Most companies offer kits or packs with a basic option and premium option. Look at what you get for your money write them down and compare them against your budget you may want to create a pros and con list with a top 5 choices. Once you've browsed around get samples from all your top 5 companies, when you call and order look at the customer service is it satisfactory?

Choosing a solution.
When testing your solutions you need to consider a few things.
-Does it smell nice? Seems daft but you'll get clients who are literally repulsed by the biscuit smell and you want to avoid it spoiling a really good tan.
-The colour is it natural? or is it that dreaded O word? Does the company offer lighter and darker variations?
-How long does it last? Are your clients going to get their moneys worth?
-How well does it fade off? A bit of a speckle? or a gentle fade to nothing? it needs to be wearbale from day one to the last day
-What profit can you make from it? As a beginner you may use more than an experienced technician whats the cost of product per tan? take this into concideration for when you choose your prices.
-The market, what's everyone else using local to you? Are you looking for a big brand name which is reconisable or a little different for clients who have tried it all? Do you want to have the same as the other salons and mobile techs in your area?

The Kit
The rest of the kit tends to fall into place once you've decided on brands and solution but make sure your tent is going to be sturdy enough if your lugging it about for long perids of time (also if it's do able, which if your buying of the internet it might not be.... check how easy it is to repack cheaper tents have thinner wire frames which mean knocks and bumps can misshape and make it v. difficult to re pack!), make sure it'll let enough light in make sure it's not too big or too small ask the company if your unsure. The spray gun needs to fufill your needs by making sure it's going to have enough capicity for frequent tanning, it also needs to be portable if your mobile. How long is the lead? If your taking it to clients homes will you need an extension cable? Are they reliable? If you can get in touch with other users ask them it's no good if as soon as warrenty runs out your shelling out for a new one.

Working out your charges
If you've looked at how much the cost is per tan you'll already know what you need to cover it by but look at how long it takes you for a treatment, how many tans can you avarage a day? What are your competion charging you should match rather than under cut. Clients can view a "cheap" offer as something to stay away from because the standard won't be as good however you dont want to price yourself out of the market.

A good routine.
your training should provide you wil a routine howver you may need to tweak it for yours and your clients needs, remeber that the more effecient a routine is the less wastage you'll have and the less you'll have to clean up.

Aftercare and Advice
Your training again should really cover your knowledge of aftercare but like always salon geek offers some lovely little gems of information to that bit further for your clients whether it's a goody bag or a good extensive care list for clients. Search around!

F.A.Q's
Q.What tan is the best?
A. There is no answer, it's really personal preferance

feel free to add more questions below in the comments section where I and other geeks will help you out with more things
Happy tanning :hug:
Melly x

Last edited:
Hi I'm training in spray tanning just now but I find the issue I have is arms & the best positions to put them in so that there's no missed bits. Can anyone help? Xxx

Marking this for later thanks

Thanks geeks xx

Hi I'm training in spray tanning just now but I find the issue I have is arms & the best positions to put them in so that there's no missed bits. Can anyone help? Xxx

Hi Hun, when I spray I start on the back, then follow to arms which face palms out wards (exposed with elbows etc facing the gun...)
follow down to legs... spin around to the front, palms facing away back of hands and fingers apart...
third facing to the side arm up palms facing ceiling spray down the insides then when your done get the client to turn and lift arms to check any missed bits.
Obviously this is missing out all the face/body and leg spraying...
xx

Latest posts

Back