A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this benefit me too? I don’t own a salon but I work in one x

It wouldn’t hurt to do it, gives you a better understanding for what will be set in place. I would discuss the option with whoever employs you as they may offer to pay for you to do it or they may get it free for a certain amount of employers if they use Beauty Guild for their insurance. Hope this helps. Kate x

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just wait til September for everyone. All schools and businesses except those who can clearly distance themselves at work. I dint think they will want to lift restrictions too soon as there will be a huge risk of everyone heading to beauty spots during what would normally be the summer break.

Hi
Could you tell me how I can do this course please x

Go to the website for The Guild of Therapists and the details are on the front page.

Hello everyone - I’m new on here but I have been working as a Beauty Therapist for over 30 years and now work from home. Our return to work is worrying me immensely as how can we work safely on clients from a distance? Yes, we could both wear masks for certain treatments like nails as we are sitting face to face for a period of time and very close, but for any facial treatments it would be impossible! We actually need to touch eyes, noses and mouths and although we could wear a mask to protect our clients, they couldn’t wear one to protect us!
Beauty Therapists seem to be considered the same as hairdressers which we’re not. It will be hard enough for hairdressers to socially distance but at least mainly only the hair/back of the head is touched. It will be impossible for more hands on treatments x

Hello eveIf ryone - I’m new on here but I have been working as a Beauty Therapist for over 30 years and now work from home. Our return to work is worrying me immensely as how can we work safely on clients from a distance? Yes, we could both wear masks for certain treatments like nails as we are sitting face to face for a period of time and very close, but for any facial treatments it would be impossible! We actually need to touch eyes, noses and mouths and although we could wear a mask to protect our clients, they couldn’t wear one to protect us!
Beauty Therapists seem to be considered the same as hairdressers which we’re not. It will be hard enough for hairdressers to socially distance but at least mainly only the hair/back of the head is touched. It will be impossible for more hands on treatments x

I am going to assume that we will be wearing gloves for all beauty treatments in future.

I think you’d have to alter your treatment menu and/or the way that treatments are carried out in the short term to ensure compliance with any safety guidelines.

I’m pleased to hear other therapists have concerns too about going back to work. I am mobile & really not sure how i’m going to organise my sanitation...most of it I presume will have to be done in the street before I get in the car, possibly in the pouring rain. I have cloth beauty cases, how can these be sanitised safely?!
I go to a sheltered accommodation every 4 weeks, do I stand in the halls & sanitise after leaving each flat or wait until I leave.
I also have a group booking of a client & her friends/family every 4 weeks, not sure if that is going to be possible anymore either.
Also, i can’t trust some clients to tell me if they’re sick, so what happens if someone else in their household is ill?!
Probably overthinking it but that’s how it feels at the moment!!! Like others have said, it’s not going to be the same enjoyable job anymore

Maybe it could give you an opportunity to "remove" these more risky client /therapist appointments.
Cherry pick is my expression , and work for those clients that are likely to be your most cooperative and supportive of your best working standards.

Are they worth the hassle and worry ? Will they ventilate the room before you go in ?

Have multiple sets of tools that can be sterilised between jobs and so you would need to have :- one in use, one in soak ,and one ready for the next client. Have a hard plastic box designated for your sterilizing methods to be implemented. Keep things organised in your car.
Use single use disposable tools where possible.

Regarding bags :- only take in what you need , nothing too excessive, use a pvc bags with zip fastenings. Open when in their house , and close immediately when you have removed everything. Sanitise with barbicide spray and get plenty of rubbish bags to safely dispose of the paper, your plastic apron, gloves ,mask etc.

It may well be worth looking at your insurance guidelines for preparing to return to therapy practice, so that you can get hopefully specific recommendations that relate to your situation.

Don’t think I would be hardly working at all if I did that lol, as lovely as most of my clients are.
PVC bags is a good idea for some things but with regard to heavy things I need my beauty trolley which is canvas. I also can’t get masks or aprons on any beauty wholesalers so wouldn’t be happy going ahead without them.

What does everyone think about towels for massage etc? I already use disposable towels for manis/pedis & use some for massage but also usually use proper towels & blankets for client comfort during facials & massage. Is this going to be ok now or is nobody going to be doing these treatments for a while? They are also a bread & butter treatment for me.

Enchanting Beauty...
I completely agree - like you I use towels and blankets for facial and massage treatments... but think these things will prove too difficult to do with all the restrictions and PPE. I know many people wear gloves for facials, but it’s something I’ve never done as the power of skin to skin touch is important on my facials. I may have to try..... tbh I’m very scared - most of my clients are older and they all visit my home which also isn’t good!

Ruthie, i’ve never used gloves for anything (except waxing) especially facials for the reason you said...I personally would hate to have a facial when the therapist wears gloves & I know a lot of clients who would say the same.
I’m not ready to go back until things have really settled down regardless if elsewhere opens up but can see losing a lot of clients or getting moaned at constantly. Hate this situation!

I agree - ur would not be professional of us to return to work anyway if we can’t keep our clients or ourselves safe anyway. I think salons will open however which then puts us in an incredibly difficult position. My daughter is an Intensive care Doctor in London and is sure there will be a 2nd peak as there often is with nasty viruses. Also they are usually worse, so she has told me to wait a few more weeks after we're allowed to re open - even if it’s financially difficult. Her hospital is over capacity with 4 wards of Covid patients on ventilators all very sick... it’s frightening when you hear it first hand

An interesting thread - good to discuss this with other therapists.

July ... hmmmm not sure but I won’t be going back til I’m good’n’ready so will have to see. I think next week is going to see a lot of changes with the lockdown easing and fully expect to see a second wave of the virus as a result so am not planning anything yet.

But

I haven’t nurtured my business for 16 years to toss it aside like an old sock ... but there are going to have to be some changes

Yesterday I ordered some PPE, I’ve got a fab Perspex screen for the nail desk with hands to go through the bottom, and I’ve also ordered a few packs of disinfectable visors which will protect me and my clients and give them confidence to return.

I intend having a checklist of what needs doing between clients and having it on the wall (a bit like the loos in M&S)

Am going to look at the covid course although not sure I can do it as I’m with salon gold, they may do something similar tho, I’m going to email to ask them

When I start back I’m going to limit myself to 2 clients in the morning and 2 in the afternoon to allow for proper cleaning and also to ease myself back in, I’ve rather enjoyed doing stuff on the house and garden. Also to space out the appointments sensible or they’ll all want infills the same week.

I’m going to have a strict no illness policy and people even with colds or a slight cough are not going to be welcome

Like a couple of others have mentioned, it’s been the first time I’ve actually been able to STOP and draw breath, as even allocated days off are usually punctuated with messages and pleas for instant repairs. And while i don’t always respond it bugs me. I’ve always done evening appts but it’s been lovely to be able to get dinner and eat with the family without constant clock watching. The whole lockdown thing has made me re-evaluate and I’m going to carefully think about what hours I want to do, having set evenings, and definitely putting a stop to the 5 & 6 o’clock appts which people beg for because it’s on the way home from work and they don’t have to come out again later but which totally turns family mealtimes on their head.

I’ve also realised I’m fed up with nails and want to encourage the other treatments! Nails is 50% of my business at least so it may mean a change in business name as it currently has the word nails in it!!

Sorry for the waffle. I see you guys as my colleagues [emoji5] this site is fab when you work alone

I agree - ur would not be professional of us to return to work anyway if we can’t keep our clients or ourselves safe anyway. I think salons will open however which then puts us in an incredibly difficult position. My daughter is an Intensive care Doctor in London and is sure there will be a 2nd peak as there often is with nasty viruses. Also they are usually worse, so she has told me to wait a few more weeks after we're allowed to re open - even if it’s financially difficult. Her hospital is over capacity with 4 wards of Covid patients on ventilators all very sick... it’s frightening when you hear it first hand
Your daughter is unfortunately one of the many who knows more about this virus than anyone. We owe it to them not to go back to normal life too soon.

If I’m REALLY honest..... it’s not fear that has any bearing on my reluctance to return.... for the first time in 40 years I’ve had a proper break!
That’s not to say there aren’t kind folk amoungst the selfish - and I do really appreciate them, but this break has really given us all a chance to reevaluate our lives and priorities

I won’t be seeing ANYONE that has contact me for an appointment during lockdown. You can guarantee they are the ones having picnics and parties and infecting everyone. They won’t be coming in here ever again that’s for sure.

If I’m REALLY honest..... it’s not fear that has any bearing on my reluctance to return.... for the first time in 40 years I’ve had a proper break!
That’s not to say there aren’t kind folk amoungst the selfish - and I do really appreciate them, but this break has really given us all a chance to reevaluate our lives and priorities

I feel exactly the same. I’m lucky to have lovely clients but this has really made me think. The constant 12 hour days with one break to fit people in, exhausted and snappy when I finish work. Can’t sleep because I’ve worked until 10pm and can’t unwind. Yeah it’s all my choice but it’s only work, not my life.

I’ve had a few messages from clients asking if I’m coping ok. One asked if I was managing financially and I thought she was going to buy a gift voucher as she previously mentioned it......she wasn’t, she asked to buy my gel polishes to do her own nails!

I can’t see me returning in July unless things change very quickly. I work from home and can’t have 7+ clients in and out my home. And if I don’t open at the same time as other salons, clients will go elsewhere.

Another client messaged yesterday......
“I’ve been keeping an eye on your salon on my daily walk - making sure all is ok....”
“So remember that when you reopen as I really need my hair cut.....”
My reply - “that’s kind of you - but as I mentioned previously - I have cameras that I check - so please don’t worry about checking”
As far as appointments go - I will be prioritising those who had appointments booked during the lockdown - and as my book was full - I anticipate a substantial back log...... I will obviously pop you on the waiting list....”
Reply - “just add me on the end of your 1st day!”
It’s this kind of attitude that really ‘P’s’ me off!

Latest posts

Back