A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
If we follow Ireland - it looks like we won’t be opening our salon doors until late July.....
What are your thoughts?

We have no control of the time line and I have written and deleted my reply three times. People are going through some really tough times and our lovely industry is a positive sanctuary that we hope they are missing. After 15 years of having my salon I am now thinking do I want to work under the new constraints that will have to be put in place. Will it be the same joyful workplace as before ? The fear of staff being off or closing the salon to self isolate if a client proves to be covid positive or another lockdown. The stress is going to be immense. I will happily take on the challenge, be prepared and try to remain driven however it may be spatulas down for me I’m afraid

If we follow Ireland - it looks like we won’t be opening our salon doors until late July.....
What are your thoughts?

I'm on the 'Coronacoaster' - I swing between it'll be fine, to bloody terrified, and back again. I don't want to catch it, but the thought of passing it to a client and them dying knocks the breath out of my lungs with fear. I can do everything right, PPE, handwashing, screens, gloves, masks, etc. but what if its not enough :(

I genuinely do not know the right answer, whilst the death rate is still in the high hundreds, new infections in the 1,000s it seems madness to be reopening any time soon.

We have no control of the time line and I have written and deleted my reply three times. People are going through some really tough times and our lovely industry is a positive sanctuary that we hope they are missing. After 15 years of having my salon I am now thinking do I want to work under the new constraints that will have to be put in place. Will it be the same joyful workplace as before ? The fear of staff being off or closing the salon to self isolate if a client proves to be covid positive or another lockdown. The stress is going to be immense. I will happily take on the challenge, be prepared and try to remain driven however it may be spatulas down for me I’m afraid

This is how I'm feeling too. I've had my salon for 9 years and qualified for nearly 15 years. The thought of having to wear PPE all day and having shields separating us from clients, absolutely breaks my heart. This is not what our job is about. I can't help but think this is it for me. I just can't get excited about reopening.

This is how I'm feeling too. I've had my salon for 9 years and qualified for nearly 15 years. The thought of having to wear PPE all day and having shields separating us from clients, absolutely breaks my heart. This is not what our job is about. I can't help but think this is it for me. I just can't get excited about reopening.
I was so reluctant to post anything but feel so much better to hear others are struggling too. I’ve honestly worked so hard to build my lovely business and the stress of it all and conflicting opinions on how and when we get the opportunity to suck it and see is overwhelming. I feel though that in war torn countries these poor people have no way forward. We are in a way fighting this war and when a vaccine becomes available (which we hear is in the pipeline) we can be those passionate, smiley, attentive therapists again. It’s a short time I suppose and hopefully we can all hang in there ! I would like guidelines and plans to ease the tension. Babtac and The Guild are who I will be intently following to look to how we can move forward.

I own a salon too and to be honest i think july is a good time frame, although i fear it will be a nightmare returning and will there be enough ppe for everyone???
The nhs dont even have proper ppe.

I have completed the covid course on line with the guild. It is written specifically for salons reopening.
It gives you a certificate and a policy template to help you set out what precautions and PPE you will do.

I felt loads better after doing this as It confirmed what I thought I should be doing.
I posted my certificate on my salon Facebook page and I have had so much positive response from clients.
It really gives them confidence to come back.

I'm still at the point where I don't know if I want to reopen. I don't think any courses are going to make me feel any better.
My business has taken over my life the last few year with being so much busier. Being at home has shown me that we can survive on my husbands wage, my children do still need me around and my clients don't need me as much as I think they do. It's given me alot of time to think, my only reservations are what would I do after? I don't want to regret my decisions later on ‍♀️

I can't get excited about re-opening either. I think however it may well be that it's not as bad as we thought....a bit like dreading the first day back at school after a long break.
As long as we obey all our new working conditions and take charge of the new rules we will get through it.

Let's face it we can finish whenever we choose , if say after day 1 we don't like it , we can shut up shop.

July would be about right for me personally...the longer the better so that we become more confident if the infection rates continue to fall.

Working from home is going to be difficult for those of us that do. I will not want my clients wandering through to the loo and invading anywhere that they don't need to be.

I would be happy on a vastly reduced client base, just earn enough for food and basics. So if it means reduced hours or less days a week then I am ok with that. I feel that I would be more in control of the sanitising procedures and would have less time wearing ppe. ( June or July is going to be very warm for face masks and face shields all day...quite exhausting )

Thanks CFBS for mentioning the covid course, maybe it will help us feel more in control and happier to re- start.
Stay safe everyone xxx

If I’m REALLY honest..... it’s not fear that has any bearing on my reluctance to return.... for the first time in 40 years I’ve had a proper break!
Even when I had my girls - I only gave myself 3 weeks away - and my first was a C section!
It was the pressure from clients - that constant Me Me Me....that made me return before I was ready.
They begrudge you going on holiday, taking a day off for your child’s birthday, even giving birth is an inconvenience if they need their roots doing!
During this lockdown - when they know the score - I’m still getting bombarded with messages like - I’m desperate, don’t forget me, bagsie your first appointment...... can you not just ‘nip’ round and do a quick trim it won’t take you long.....
I actually feel disappointed with the lack of care some have shown during this....
That’s not to say there aren’t kind folk amoungst the selfish - and I do really appreciate them, but this break has really given us all a chance to reevaluate our lives and priorities

If I’m REALLY honest..... it’s not fear that has any bearing on my reluctance to return.... for the first time in 40 years I’ve had a proper break!
Even when I had my girls - I only gave myself 3 weeks away - and my first was a C section!

This makes me very sad, your welfare and life are important too. No-one laid on their deathbed and wished they'd worked more. Whilst clients are important you need to start putting some emotional distance between you and them. You clearly care and are fantastic in your career, but don't let them suck your life away, you can care but try to keep them at arms length (metaphorically of course ;) ).

I have enjoyed my career don’t get me wrong.
However this break has made me see things differently.
You kind of kid yourself over the years that your clients love you - you’re needed & it makes you feel valued....
Now I suspect it was less about my skill set and more about my easy going nature & a willingness to please

OMG I am so relieved to hear you all saying this too... I actually said to my sister this morning (when talking about working in masks and PPE) that I’m going to start to hate my job I think... this makes me so sad because I’ve struggled through debt and quiet salons for years and have FINALLY in the last couple of years started to feel safe and successful and now I’m too scared to go back!! And I feel like nearby salons will open up before I’m ready and steal away all of my clients!! I’m sure that won’t happen, but like trinity says it’s the coronacoaster of emotions!

I’m in the same boat!
With my c sections too was cutting hair 3 weeks after, but yes totally agree, it’s given us time and a break, in all honesty I really needed it to kick me up the bum, working day and night and cooking the kids dinner in between is no good!
But exactly like u say I’m also easy going and happy to squeeze people last minute so people will take liberties. Every cloud and all that xx

I have enjoyed my career don’t get me wrong.
However this break has made me see things differently.
You kind of kid yourself over the years that your clients love you - you’re needed & it makes you feel valued....
Now I suspect it was less about my skill set and more about my easy going nature & a willingness to please

So true, I guess I'm lucky in that I had a few clients break my heart early on and realised I'm just a commodity to them really. Whilst we are friendly, we are not friends. It's a hard lesson to learn, especially for those doing our type of work, we essentially hold hands with people for over an hour at a time, a couple of times a month, we invest our heart and soul in what we produce, it's easy to transfer that affection to the owner of the hands, but it doesn't come back the other way.

So true, I guess I'm lucky in that I had a few clients break my heart early on and realised I'm just a commodity to them really. Whilst we are friendly, we are not friends. It's a hard lesson to learn, especially for those doing our type of work, we essentially hold hands with people for over an hour at a time, a couple of times a month, we invest our heart and soul in what we produce, it's easy to transfer that affection to the owner of the hands, but it doesn't come back the other way.

I am relieved to read these comments,I have been mobile for 30 years,no children so I hardly take time off and I (luckily) have a strong following.
The emotional side is difficult, I have seen ladies lose loved ones and they confide and get great comfort from me as it is one to one time and I have been in their family home on a constant six week or even weekly and I'm sure the same goes for those with a salon,where ladies have you to themselves and they can relax in your sanctuary.
The lockdown came as a relief as I didn't have to worry about making the choice,my last client I did (even though I was masked and gloved) pulled me close and gave me a hug before I left (and said 'Oh I don't care') ...I have known her many years but it felt awkward because obviously 'safety first' and I am concerned this may happen when I go back. I am fond of my ladies but I also know I have to stick to the rules for their sake as well as mine.
We all have to agree with clients when we don't have the same thoughts,just to keep everything light but this does worry me.

I'm very thankful for this forum as I have no stylist friends because I left the salon and moved away many years ago so to read other people's thoughts gives me comfort.

Lo and behold,not ten minutes after writing the above post,I received a text from my workout teacher asking for a haircut-they have 'no symptoms and it's only like the flu.'
Arghhh,awkward! I just had to reply with the fact that we all need to keep safe and I'll be sticking to guide lines and hold on as it won't be long now. He is not even a client of mine!

Hey guys really interesting and thought provoking thread, I've just published a blog post (DM for link) about the emerging guidance in Europe around hairdressing salons re opening. Their guidelines may give us some indication of what is likely for us when lockdown eases, not sure there are any surprises in the guidance but I've explored what it may mean for us re opening. There are ways around most restrictions but they require a lot of thought hence why I thought this downtime would be a good time to think through any adaptations to how we operate. It's certainly going to be a tough transition but I think this is true for all industries although we are particularly hard hit because of the nature of our role(s). Like a lot of you have said this time out has been an enforced period of reflection and I suspect many may choose a slower pace of life.

Im due june. Planned on working till i could. Im now 33weeks pregnant.
I have good days and bad, i keep thinking the lockdown will be lifted right as I've had her & I'll loose my clients.
If we cant go back till July then so be it.

I have completed the covid course on line with the guild. It is written specifically for salons reopening.
It gives you a certificate and a policy template to help you set out what precautions and PPE you will do.

I felt loads better after doing this as It confirmed what I thought I should be doing.
I posted my certificate on my salon Facebook page and I have had so much positive response from clients.
It really gives them confidence to come back.
Hi
Could you tell me how I can do this course please x

Latest posts

Back