A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another client messaged yesterday......
“I’ve been keeping an eye on your salon on my daily walk - making sure all is ok....”
“So remember that when you reopen as I really need my hair cut.....”
My reply - “that’s kind of you - but as I mentioned previously - I have cameras that I check - so please don’t worry about checking”
As far as appointments go - I will be prioritising those who had appointments booked during the lockdown - and as my book was full - I anticipate a substantial back log...... I will obviously pop you on the waiting list....”
Reply - “just add me on the end of your 1st day!”
It’s this kind of attitude that really ‘P’s’ me off!
Get rid! Don’t need someone like that.
Whenever I decide to return, I shall be booking those clients in that I had to cancel their appointments due to the pandemic...with the two clients who have still continued to pay me for the last 2 months at the top of the list. They also work for the nhs so will definitely deserve to be pampered!!

Another client messaged yesterday......
“I’ve been keeping an eye on your salon on my daily walk - making sure all is ok....”
“So remember that when you reopen as I really need my hair cut.....”
My reply - “that’s kind of you - but as I mentioned previously - I have cameras that I check - so please don’t worry about checking”
As far as appointments go - I will be prioritising those who had appointments booked during the lockdown - and as my book was full - I anticipate a substantial back log...... I will obviously pop you on the waiting list....”
Reply - “just add me on the end of your 1st day!”
It’s this kind of attitude that really ‘P’s’ me off!

I really understand this,as a mobile hairdresser I am pretty worried about going into client's homes where so many have messaged me and want priority and to be first on the list.
I think it shows we are good at our jobs and clients feel comfortable with us,even though I feel every client is 'special,' to prioritise an already full book is going to be tricky. I had written on an earlier post that one of my ladies approached me at the car and gave me a hug and a kiss on departure even though I had a mask and gloves on,just before lockdown. it is going to be a minefield!!
I am getting messages now saying that I might be able to start work very soon but I'm still putting off until June at the very earliest. I have sourced some disposable equipment which has yet to arrive,I will probably lose people if salons go back sooner and take the knocks if clients are too pushy for my return,it does make me feel very uneasy because I have worked as a full time mobile for thirty years and I haven't ever had to advertise. It is like a constant seesaw in my head.

Reading a lot of these comments I can totally feel for you all.

My industry is different as I work from home but the overworking and re-evaluating life/work balance is the same.

I'd strongly suggest to everyone here who has clients climbing over themselves that you all reopen with a decent price jump. 25% range. We all need to make back lost money but the biggest thing is earning the same level of income as before without having to work all the hours under the sun giving you a better balance.

Yes it may feel weird to be 'quiet' at times but I'd rather be earning the same money working half as hard as before :)

Hi
Could you tell me how I can do this course please x
Look up The Guild. It should be on their website. It's £20. I'm sure you can get free ones and don't forget you can go onto the HSE website to do a free risk assessment

What’s your view re cost per service? Are you absorbing the cost of PPE and longer appointments or increasing prices to take account of the increased cost?

I don’t think you can absorb the extra cost and your service remain financially viable!
I’ve costed out a minimum ‘surcharge’ of £5.00
I’ve purchased disposable gowns £2.00
Disposable mask £1.00
Disposable towel x2 £1.00
Hand sanitizer & surface sanitiser.....
I won’t be charging for the sanitation time between clients, but I think for some businesses it would be right to factor that in

Really disappointed to see that a hair and beauty salon in my (fairly) local area has already announced they are going to reopen on Thursday following the Sunday night update. She obviously thinks it’s ok as she can’t work from home. They clearly don’t care about customer care and the spread of the virus... makes me sad. Also pissed off that her decision will force others to follow suit and reopen too early. Hopefully they’ll be fined and told to close again & I really hope that they don’t make anyone sick, although people will be making their own choice to go in there... I don’t get it....

I’ve just posted this on my Facebook 98AF3647-255E-4EA5-B3BC-C1FFA42A35C0.jpeg

Really disappointed to see that a hair and beauty salon in my (fairly) local area has already announced they are going to reopen on Thursday following the Sunday night update. She obviously thinks it’s ok as she can’t work from home. They clearly don’t care about customer care and the spread of the virus... makes me sad. Also pissed off that her decision will force others to follow suit and reopen too early. Hopefully they’ll be fined and told to close again & I really hope that they don’t make anyone sick, although people will be making their own choice to go in there... I don’t get it....
Sadly I think this is where it’s come unstuck. We cannot work from home yet the government has said if you can’t work from home, go to work.
Most of us are responsible & would not dream of opening yet, but as we have seen too often in this lockdown, a lot of people don’t care, they see the pound signs & the opportunity to double their prices & stuff it if anyone gets sick because of it.

No I don’t either !
My friends just posted this to me
So hopefully that salon will get fined.9E8F4979-5F60-4EB9-AA57-18F25E489222.png

Enchanting Beauty...
I completely agree - like you I use towels and blankets for facial and massage treatments... but think these things will prove too difficult to do with all the restrictions and PPE. I know many people wear gloves for facials, but it’s something I’ve never done as the power of skin to skin touch is important on my facials. I may have to try..... tbh I’m very scared - most of my clients are older and they all visit my home which also isn’t good!

Using vinyl gloves for skin to skin contact is absolutely fine during a facial. If I cut my finger as I have done many times over the years and it hasn't healed by the time my skin to skin treatment is due, I put on slim fitting vinyl gloves. It's that or lose a treatment and wait for the cut to heal.

Older style latex smells, but the vinyl are really good. I have asked my clients if they can feel a difference between my hands , one with the glove and the other without and they say they can't.

A good fitting glove really becomes your skin after you get used to wearing them, so just give it a try.

The other thing is the obsession with a date... The June/July advice is a guideline and it all depends on the rate of infection dropping enough that this alert system goes in the right direction... lots of people seem to be forgetting that and honestly it will never go down if industries like ours start going back to work too soon... then restrictions with be tightened again and we’re back to square one... I’m angry this morning!! Can you tell?!

I really understand this,as a mobile hairdresser I am pretty worried about going into client's homes where so many have messaged me and want priority and to be first on the list.
I think it shows we are good at our jobs and clients feel comfortable with us,even though I feel every client is 'special,' to prioritise an already full book is going to be tricky. I had written on an earlier post that one of my ladies approached me at the car and gave me a hug and a kiss on departure even though I had a mask and gloves on,just before lockdown. it is going to be a minefield!!
I am getting messages now saying that I might be able to start work very soon but I'm still putting off until June at the very earliest. I have sourced some disposable equipment which has yet to arrive,I will probably lose people if salons go back sooner and take the knocks if clients are too pushy for my return,it does make me feel very uneasy because I have worked as a full time mobile for thirty years and I haven't ever had to advertise. It is like a constant seesaw in my head.

Where did u find protective equipment? Have u found disposable gowns for clients?x

Another update this morningScreenshot_20200511-102852_Instagram.jpeg

I have enjoyed my career don’t get me wrong.
However this break has made me see things differently.
You kind of kid yourself over the years that your clients love you - you’re needed & it makes you feel valued....
Now I suspect it was less about my skill set and more about my easy going nature & a willingness to please
Same for me too. Put myself out for them in the early days. I think I was having anxiety attacks, I remember being really stressed and my heart was beating so fast it felt like it was coming out of me. I had to be ruthless and stick to opening and closing hours. Folk would knock on my door on a Sunday to ask for the first appointment on Tuesday. I care for my clients but know they're not friends. I'm being bombarded with messages about reopening too. And this is my first proper break in 32 years of working in my salon. Kind of loving it a little bit. Take care x

I have sent out an email to clients this morning stating wthat i won’t be returning until after July & only if I feel it is safe to do so, & all the measures I will be taking when I can return.
Have already had a text from a client who I have only seen 3 times in 2 years to ask if we can do treatments in the garden as she has PPE we can both use.
Erm.....no!

I have sent out an email to clients this morning stating wthat i won’t be returning until after July & only if I feel it is safe to do so, & all the measures I will be taking when I can return.
Have already had a text from a client who I have only seen 3 times in 2 years to ask if we can do treatments in the garden as she has PPE we can both use.
Erm.....no!

Cheeky devil!! What bit about social distancing aren’t they getting? I’ve had a request for a nail appt today from someone completely unknown to me ... guess her regular person is closed too!
Being able to now grab a plant from a garden centre is very different to a full on appointment breathing into someone’s face [emoji58]

I had a client tx me this this morning..
3b8a7174f32b38f43b640a599da31ea3.jpg

So because I’m mobile and her cleaners come back she thinks I can?

Last edited:
Where did u find protective equipment? Have u found disposable gowns for clients?x

Hi,yes I was going to send you the link as they had them in a variety of colours and therefore lots of stock,I have just checked and they are sold out,sorry.
I checked the usual first,Capital and Salon Services but found them in stock at Adeldirect.co.uk. I would keep an eye out for restocking BUT BE WARNED,I looked on Ebay and they were charging £3.50 each! The cost of a pack of one hundred capes is less than ten pounds so read carefully!!

Latest posts

Back