A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheeky devil!! What bit about social distancing aren’t they getting? I’ve had a request for a nail appt today from someone completely unknown to me ... guess her regular person is closed too!
Being able to now grab a plant from a garden centre is very different to a full on appointment breathing into someone’s face [emoji58]
AND she works for the NHS!! Kept trying to push it then finally gave up after saying “when can I book an app, so I can be from the first clients in your list?” Told her i’m not taking bookings until I know a definite return date & will be in touch as soon as I am back...whilst adding her name to the bottom of the list.
Some people just don’t get it do they??!!!!

I find it quite insulting when they messsge you for your “First appointment “, adding
“You must be really struggling....”
Straight to the bottom of the list!

I find it quite insulting when they messsge you for your “First appointment “, adding
“You must be really struggling....”
Straight to the bottom of the list!
Absolutely!

It’s absolutely awful! I’ve just had a client text to say they’d just had a hair cut! (I’m a beauty therapist so that bit doesn’t bother me), but I asked....how?
Apparently they’d done one of the online Covid aware courses and the federation of hair and beauty has given them permission to go into clients homes using PPE....I don’t think so!!! Those courses are for when we go back!!

OMG
What are they thinking
Are people just not getting it

With idiots like this, we are going to be in a complete mess [emoji853]

It’s absolutely awful! I’ve just had a client text to say they’d just had a hair cut! (I’m a beauty therapist so that bit doesn’t bother me), but I asked....how?
Apparently they’d done one of the online Covid aware courses and the federation of hair and beauty has given them permission to go into clients homes using PPE....I don’t think so!!! Those courses are for when we go back!!

I honestly think that the pushy clients who hassle to be first in the queue are the same chancers who see ££££ signs when alerted to an opportunity to sue someone. I wouldn’t want to be the hairdresser in that situation...and uninsured too. o_O

...and I’ve just seen on the NHBF website that there are massive fines in place for people who break the law! £100 for a one off and £3200 for repeat reports of black market hair/beauty work...

I’ve more or less decided to introduce a minimum charge, limit treatment types and not accept long bookings. I’ll also put my prices up 10%.

I’ll be phasing in treatments, so in the beginning I’ll just be waxing bikinis and legs. I might add pedicures. Those treatments don’t involve much eye contact, so my clients won’t feel too strange being told to wear masks.

I’m really reluctant to go near client hands and faces. Clients just don’t get hygiene and I’ve seen so many people doing ignorant things during lock down that I’m not doing any manicures, brows and facial treatments including hair removal until I’ve had a chance to see if we get a second wave.

I’m hoping spray tanning will be big - no one’s going to be going abroad this year.

...and I’ve just seen on the NHBF website that there are massive fines in place for people who break the law! £100 for a one off and £3200 for repeat reports of black market hair/beauty work...
This is good.. doubt many of them will get caught though... people just seem to get away with crap like that

Help
I opened a salon last November and although we do offer all beauty treatments, these alone nowhere near cover the bills.
Our niche are spa days and children’s pamper parties.
I’m really concerned that I’m not going to now survive. I’m still building up a reputation and wouldn’t think we’ll be able to offer the children’s parties and won’t survive purely on the spa days.
The problem i have is that I’m tied into a lease.
What are people’s thoughts and feelings and is there anyone else that has recently taken on a lease?

Help
I opened a salon last November and although we do offer all beauty treatments, these alone nowhere near cover the bills.
I’m really concerned that I’m not going to now survive. I’m still building up a reputation and wouldn’t think we’ll be able to offer the children’s parties and won’t survive purely on the spa days.
What are people’s thoughts and feelings and is there anyone else that has recently taken on a lease?
You need to identify why your beauty treatments aren't profitable. If you are only relying on pamper parties or spa days, that's not great.
Do you have a break clause in your lease?
Are you a limited company?

Help

Time to diversify, push other treatments, add in some luxury and charge a little more, create new packages etc maybe retail more

You’re right, if you stay as you are it’s going to be tricky but I’m sure you’ll be able to tweak things. good luck xx

Another client messaged yesterday......
“I’ve been keeping an eye on your salon on my daily walk - making sure all is ok....”
“So remember that when you reopen as I really need my hair cut.....”
My reply - “that’s kind of you - but as I mentioned previously - I have cameras that I check - so please don’t worry about checking”
As far as appointments go - I will be prioritising those who had appointments booked during the lockdown - and as my book was full - I anticipate a substantial back log...... I will obviously pop you on the waiting list....”
Reply - “just add me on the end of your 1st day!”
It’s this kind of attitude that really ‘P’s’ me off!

Sounds more like a stalker....probs my wouldn’t want anyone who thinks they can’t speak to me like that either. I’m picky but hey it’s my home. Don’t want axe murderers or rude people in my safe place haha

I’ve just had a client book ‘tentatively’ for July 6th so I explained what my procedures would be in order to be able to treat her ie: both to wear masks, me a visor and apron etc .., plus all the extra sanitising... she agreed to it but said it was ridiculous! I just replied that it was necessary to keep both myself and my clients safe...I’m sorry but I’m not prepared to see people in my house to do close up and face to face beauty treatments without taking all the necessary precautions!

I’ve just had a client book ‘tentatively’ for July 6th so I explained what my procedures would be in order to be able to treat her ie: both to wear masks, me a visor and apron etc .., plus all the extra sanitising... she agreed to it but said it was ridiculous! I just replied that it was necessary to keep both myself and my clients safe...I’m sorry but I’m not prepared to see people in my house to do close up and face to face beauty treatments without taking all the necessary precautions!
I’ve seen a few comments on facebook posts that some people are happy to have hair/beauty treatments like it used to be. Yeah...they might be, we’re not though!
I’m not booking anyone in yet. Don’t want to sound doom & gloom, but with the nice weather & everyone going crazy at the beach, I’m expecting a infection surge in the next week-2 weeks!

How rude and frankly ignorant. Not sure I’d be too keen on having her as a client. She’s probably not been socially distancing or anything anyway so even more of a risk

Last edited:
This appeared on my Facebook this morning, quite helpful for mobile & home salons. This is the first article I’ve seen dedicated to solo workers.
https://www.versum.com/m/blog/proto..._articles&utm_content=lookalike_how_to_reopen
Also this

https://britishbeautycouncil.com/return-to-work-guidelines-for-nail-technicians/

Thank you for sharing this. An interesting read.

My wife is a Nail Tech and for me, how she is going to work safely when she returns to work is an ongoing concern.

Thank you for sharing this. An interesting read.

My wife is a Nail Tech and for me, how she is going to work safely when she returns to work is an ongoing concern.
You’re welcome. Nothing is set in stone yet with the guidelines we need to work with but at least the article gives some idea.

Latest posts

Back