A July return!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was expecting some more detailed advice about ventilation and the number of air changes an hour recommended.

I’ve seen research which shows how micro particles are spread by conversation, and the guidelines tell us not to talk loudly which is advice based on that research. However the guidelines don’t include the research conclusions which is that creating small air movements is sufficient to disperse the floating micro particles and get them to settle out of the air.

Thanks for the link. I’ve seen these.

The visors I have are British standard accredited and they were created for NHS use after lots of liaison and testing in use. One of the feedbacks we received was from a nurse saying that she always put our shields aside for the neonatal wards because they were so much more comfortable than the other visors they had.

i think there is a difference between detailed work for beauty and general nursing procedures sadly.
Which visors do you use as I was kindly given one but after an hour of wearing it gives me a headache, I did a practice pedicure on my mum who I live with

I volunteered for Foldall who have now closed down (it was a lock down community project).

there are lots of similar visors - they have a non absorbent foam front temple headband and a 1cm (ish) wide silicon Elastic back headband.

I volunteered for Foldall who have now closed down (it was a lock down community project).

there are lots of similar visors - they have a non absorbent foam front temple headband and a 1cm (ish) wide silicon Elastic back headband.
Thank you I will have a look online, mine has foam that goes across the forehead but it’s not very soft

Actually, on reading it again, I think we are always required to wear a visor. Not a face covering. Clients don’t need to wear anything.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just because you have PPE it’s going to make you feel safe once back in that environment, it’s going to be nerve wracking & you’ve just proved that & that was on a member of your family, not the general public!
Also, there is a company who are selling visors. They have really good reviews on Facebook, everyone says they don’t fog up & they don’t have that horrible bug foam headband so might be worth a look for you. I will be ordering later. Here they are
https://flatshield.co.uk/
I was looking at these as it’s the foam I find uncomfortable on mine, I’m persevering though by wearing it for an hour each day, to see if I can break it in.
These ones look great but they seem to gape a bit at the top which worried me a bit

Actually, on reading it again, I think we are always required to wear a visor. Not a face covering. Clients don’t need to wear anything.
I think that is the case but I would feel better if they were as they’d be helping to protect me.
I thought I’d insist on it in my corona virus policy but don’t know if that would be allowed

I think that is the case but I would feel better if they were as they’d be helping to protect me.
I thought I’d insist on it in my corona virus policy but don’t know if that would be allowed

Your visor would protect you. Their mask would have no effect, apparently.

You should do what makes you feel comfortable though. Clients can wear them obviously if they prefer too as well.

This is the big problem, if the WHO suggest wearing face coverings and it does make sense that it reduces the risk then why are they not advising them to in this situation. This about protecting others rather than protecting yourself (i.e. the client protecting you), for those who have done the barbicide training it explains it very plainly how this helps.

This is the big problem, if the WHO suggest wearing face coverings and it does make sense that it reduces the risk then why are they not advising them to in this situation. This about protecting others rather than protecting yourself (i.e. the client protecting you), for those who have done the barbicide training it explains it very plainly how this helps.
So much conflicting information

If you are wearing a visor then you are protected seems to be what’s being said. I thought it was the WHO who were against masks? I can understand wearing them rather than nothing but if you are wearing a visor then all should be good. At the end of the day we each have to do what feels right for us. I’ve heard face masks are extremely hot to work with all day, especially if holding a conversation. I’m telling clients they can wear one if they wish. I also have disposable ones for clients who do want to wear one but don’t have one. I think a lot more will get through a face covering than a visor. I work from home though and nobody can just walk in from the high street.

https://professionalbeauty.co.uk/site/newsdetails/government-covid-
Have you read this? It’s the government guidelines. Clients are not required to wear ppe if the worker is wearing it and workers are only required to wear what they normally wear for ppe unless working on or very close to the face. If working on or very close to the face they are recommended to wear a visor. Not a mask. This is because only distance prevents the spread of COVID, not masks and visors. They just reduce risk. If working for prolonged periods on the face such as false lashes etc then the worker needs to adapt the treatment that reduces the high risk to a lower level. Not sure how they do that, muddy area.
They’re only guidelines, we can take the advice as little or as much as we like. In my opinion, it’s not enough when we’re seeing other countries where it’s compulsory for the client to wear a mask & the hairdresser/therapist is in visor & mask.
As you mentioned in another post, we should just do what we each of us are comfortable with. If I can do as much as possible to lessen the risk of transmission between myself & client (& vice Versa), i’ll be much happier going back to work. It’s not going to be nice, it’s not going to be comfortable but needs must.
It’s going to be hard enough with me being mobile not to have clients children or partners floating around, despite the warnings i’m going to give them, I can still see it happening!

Last edited:
I was looking at these as it’s the foam I find uncomfortable on mine, I’m persevering though by wearing it for an hour each day, to see if I can break it in.
These ones look great but they seem to gape a bit at the top which worried me a bit
I did think about the gaping at the top too.
I was thinking about mentioning it on their Facebook to see what the response would be. They do look a lot more comfortable than the other kind of visor though it’s very tempting & theres a lot of reviews on Facebook from hairdressers who are really happy with them.
Made in Uk too!

I did think about the gaping at the top too.
I was thinking about mentioning it on their Facebook to see what the response would be. They do look a lot more comfortable than the other kind of visor though it’s very tempting & theres a lot of reviews on Facebook from hairdressers who are really happy with them.
Made in Uk too!
That’s a good idea, I’ve managed to loosen my one a bit and I wore it for an hour yesterday and it was ok which has made me feel much happier

They’re only guidelines, we can take the advice as little or as much as we like. In my opinion, it’s not enough when we’re seeing other countries where it’s compulsory for the client to wear a mask & the hairdresser/therapist is in visor & mask.
As you mentioned in another post, we should just do what we each of us are comfortable with. If I can do as much as possible to lessen the risk of transmission between myself & client (& vice Versa), i’ll be much happier going back to work. It’s not going to be nice, it’s not going to be comfortable but needs must.
It’s going to be hard enough with me being mobile not to have clients children or partners floating around, despite the warnings i’m going to give them, I can still see it happening!

Being mobile you are bound to feel more wary. I work from home and it does go a long way when you feel in total control of the environment.

I’ve just read the guidelines from the Guild. Somehow they believe eyelash tint which takes much longer than an eyebrow tint is ok to do but an eyebrow tint isn’t??? Work that one out.
The government guidelines say the high risk area is in front of the face to face area. I work from behind the client doing eyelash and brow tints.
By their standards they are saying it’s ok to work in a high risk area for say 25 mins of a one hour treatment but not ok to work in a high risk area for say 10 mins of a 15 minute treatment. Makes no sense. They are saying you should not work in the high risk area fir more than half the treatment time which is bonkers as some treatments take minutes and others much longer. Anyone else with the Guild?

I’ve just read the guidelines from the Guild. Somehow they believe eyelash tint which takes much longer than an eyebrow tint is ok to do but an eyebrow tint isn’t??? Work that one out.
The government guidelines say the high risk area is in front of the face to face area. I work from behind the client doing eyelash and brow tints.
By their standards they are saying it’s ok to work in a high risk area for say 25 mins of a one hour treatment but not ok to work in a high risk area for say 10 mins of a 15 minute treatment. Makes no sense. They are saying you should not work in the high risk area fir more than half the treatment time which is bonkers as some treatments take minutes and others much longer. Anyone else with the Guild?

Totally agree when I read their risk assessments this morning!
Definitely don’t agree with some especially if you add in more PPE measures.

Latest posts

Back