A Laugh-Looking for a job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleighs Nail & Beauty Studio

Reaction score
When looking for a job as a nail technician dont tell them you ll be qualified so many hours later..

I had a girl ring the salon asking if i was looking for any nail tech, so the girl who answered took a message for me as i was with a client.

The Hairdresser who answered the phone said do you ave any quaifications or are you currently at college etc..

The girl on the other end said no ive never done beauty or nails im going on a one day course on monday so il be qualified by Monday Night.!!!!

Right ok , ..mmm...

what is it with these one day courses???

i have a girl on modern apprentise working with me lovely girl etc, BUT when it came to doing training on Waxing-She hadnt a clue and shes at full time college and signed off her waxing -why are they not teaching these students properly.
I got her to do an half leg wax which she wasnt spreadin or covering the areas properly...after she done a bikini line and she didnt have a clue where to pull etc...

So what do you geeks think about college and one day courses??

As I mentioned in another post, it makes me angry that someone would offer courses giving people the idea that you are qualified after a day or two. I think it's dangerous to the client and gives therapists a bad name. If someone goes to see someone who's been to a day course and calls themself a therapist and gets a botch job, then that client lumps all therapists in the same boat, especially if clients lose a fingernail due to a bad infection or gets their skin ripped from a bad waxing etc, these courses don't go into enough detail and very minimal hands on practice.

Unfortunately, people looking to get quick 'qualifications' and a week later are advertising don't know these things. There are always weekend courses being advertised here to be qualified in massage. Being a massage therapist myself, I know what it takes to be a massage therapist. I'd like to know how they cram advanced anatomy and physiology, remedial massage, reflexology, aromatherapy, practice management, law and ethics and more into 2 days.

For those of us who paid a small fortune studying, it really ****s me.:mad:

END RANT

i have a girl on modern apprentise working with me lovely girl etc, BUT when it came to doing training on Waxing-She hadnt a clue and shes at full time college and signed off her waxing -why are they not teaching these students properly.

So what do you geeks think about college and one day courses??

Shouldn't your question be 'So what are they teaching them during 2 years at college and how come they're being signed off as being competent in a subject when they're obviously not?'

Shouldn't your question be 'So what are they teaching them during 2 years at college and how come they're being signed off as being competent in a subject when they're obviously not?'

I couldn't agree more, Kim. At my previous salon, we had a girl from the local college come to do work experience with us, and she could not wax to save her life! And she had been passed on her waxing assessment. I told her she needed to practice as much as possible before she left college because no-one in their right mind would give her a job if she didn't improve drastically. I actually felt sorry for her as she obviously hadn't had proper training in it. In this case the college is at fault for passing her when she is clearly not up to standard.

Short courses are ok as additional training for a qualified therapist/nail tech. But I find it very hard to understand how anyone can consider themselves properly trained after one or two days if they have no previous experience of their subject. JMO!

trouble is, colleges pass people to keep their statistics looking good.

it wouldnt look like such a good course if only a small percentage passed.
i think its bad to pass people who are not up to scratch because its disrespectful to those who are and have got their passes through hardwork and skill.

i think sometimes we need to go beyond the certificate and actually see proof of skill in a trade test for anyone who has applied for jobs, regardless of the type of qual. standards vary so widely these days.

As I mentioned in another post, it makes me angry that someone would offer courses giving people the idea that you are qualified after a day or two. I think it's dangerous to the client and gives therapists a bad name. If someone goes to see someone who's been to a day course and calls themself a therapist and gets a botch job, then that client lumps all therapists in the same boat, especially if clients lose a fingernail due to a bad infection or gets their skin ripped from a bad waxing etc, these courses don't go into enough detail and very minimal hands on practice.

Unfortunately, people looking to get quick 'qualifications' and a week later are advertising don't know these things. There are always weekend courses being advertised here to be qualified in massage. Being a massage therapist myself, I know what it takes to be a massage therapist. I'd like to know how they cram advanced anatomy and physiology, remedial massage, reflexology, aromatherapy, practice management, law and ethics and more into 2 days.

For those of us who paid a small fortune studying, it really ****s me.:mad:

END RANT

Yeah i totaly agree with what your saying- i think personally now after years of doing nails you still learning every single day something.
And like you pointed out they have a bad experience from a so called 'THERAPIST' and they get put off it for life..
its the same with those do it yourself waxing kits-the amount of ppl who have been in my salon and said ooo i wudnt get waxing after i tryed it myself at home...mmm...well for starters they probably dont know which way to put the wax or pull it off -i think its wrong selling too many professional products on our high streets...

P.s I WOULD OF GIVEN A BETTER TITLE FOR MY THREAD BUT IT DIVIDED INTO 2 STORYS:lol:

Latest posts

Back