a letter i have from the sanctuary's solicitors!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
Wow! sat am mr postie arrived with a letter from The Sanctuary (Covent garden) solicitors.
Now they explain that their client registered the words Sanctuary and The sanctuary and they were brought to attention about my -lowly home salon in a small village which does on average 1 client a week!- business by my payment and insertion onto yell.co.uk.
the waffke on but at the end say that are not accusing me of any infringement or copyright!!
so im not quite sure of the fact of the letter! they are not telling me in the letter i cant use the hand sanctuary! gonna ring them now and ask! will keep you all posted but may have to change me name -- owww! i like my name!

Wow, im really shocked by that definately quite worrying, very curious so please let us know how you get on x

Thehandsanctuary said:
Wow! sat am mr postie arrived with a letter from The Sanctuary (Covent garden) solicitors.
Now they explain that their client registered the words Sanctuary and The sanctuary and they were brought to attention about my -lowly home salon in a small village which does on average 1 client a week!- business by my payment and insertion onto yell.co.uk.
the waffke on but at the end say that are not accusing me of any infringement or copyright!!
so im not quite sure of the fact of the letter! they are not telling me in the letter i cant use the hand sanctuary! gonna ring them now and ask! will keep you all posted but may have to change me name -- owww! i like my name!

Hi Jenni....well after looking on Yell they've got a lot of letters to send to other similar companies using the word Sanctury in their business name ..There is the Beauty Sanctuary, The Santuary Spa, The Village Sanctuary..The Roof Garden Sanctuary..its gonna cost them a fortune, I would be interested to find out how you get on with this...

Most odd... I can see how they could register 'The Sanctuary' as a business name, but don't see how they could just register the word 'sanctuary'. It would be like trying to register 'dog' or 'cat' :D
And I'd be suprised if they were in fact the first business ever to use the word Sanctuary in their name.
I wonder what it is they're trying to say, if they're not suing you, or in fact asking you for any action at all? V queer! If in doubt, contact CAB just in case, but I'm not sure they'd have the right info. On second thoughts, I'm pretty sure there is a section on businesslink.gov.uk about choosing and registering your name so that might help you know where you stand.
Lol x

Shouldn't worry too much, think they are just letting you know that you can't associate yourself with them to your clients. The salon I worked in changed their name to one very similar to a large chain of nail salons (just a different spelling), they got a similar letter, but it never went any further. Good luck hun.

when you start to do nails and choose your name do you have to make sure no one else has that name? how do you go about choosing your business name so no one else has got it

Hi trudi, okay gonna be my normal waffly self as I'm not 100% sure about company names!!! I think company names are only relevant if you are registered as a limited company. You then have to register your name with companys house (I think this is it, having a BIG memory lapse at the mo!) and they will only accept it if it is not seen as being confusing by being the same name (or similar) for the same line of business. Therefore I think I could set my name up as McDonalds Nails, but couldn't set it up as McDonalds Burgers.

I don't think this applies so much if you are not limited, but sure someone in the know will let us know!

Hi Jennie,

As far as I am aware you only have the right to a name if it is a registered ltd company. If you check with companies house ( as I just did ) you will see that there is NO company called The Sanctury registered . The nearest is The Sanctury Spa Ltd in hemel hempsted

It baffles me that a company in London should be bothered about you . You are MILES awy from them .

As someone else said there are HUNDREDS of people using the name Sanctury in their title . I do not think you need to be worried and should not need to change your name . :D

Karen
Light Elegance UK

hi jen
i have sent you a pm on this...
on the back of their packaging it says:
"THE SANCTUARY" and the fish device are the trademarks or The Sanctuary at Covent Garden Limited.
since your not using a fish logo and you're not called the sanctuary i wouldn't worry...

i think they're just trying to 'encourage' you, by way of a solicitors letter(!) to use a different name, that can't be confused or associated with them.

There isn't anything they can do - otherwise they would have stated their intentions clearly in the letter - solicitors aren't known for beating around the bush if they think there's a case to be made?!?!

My guess is that they really will have looked at all similar business names and written the same letter to all. I suppose it's really to warn off anyone trying to get business off the back of the reputation established by The Sanctuary.

Keep us updated though - im pretty sure there's other salons with the same name as mine - but when I looked into it it wasn't gonna cause a prob?!?

x

Hi Jenni,

Hope you got some joy when you phoned the solicitor.....how petty of them!! :lol:

I hope you are not going to worry about this......not in your condition!!!!!!!

Keep your feet up, sending you lots of :hug: 's

Nikki XXXX

Thehandsanctuary said:
Whats the point they are trying to make ???
They said they are not accusing you of infringement or breach of copyrights ???
So I would reply with...................... "YOUR POINTS IS???"
I could see a problem if you called yourself The Sanctuary............but you are called The Hand Sanctuary..................
You are not passing yourself off as them, with their name or their products............
So this has got me puzzled too xxxxx

i'd say the sanctuary have gone loopy!

what are they not getting enough business at the mo? so they thought they wud bug u?

as others have said you are not the sanctuary you are the hand sanctuary. so why? - god knows why i have put that in bold, u no what ure name is!!

thats like the word fiesta, its registered as a car name, could you imagine if ford wrote to all spanish people and told them they were no longer allowed to call parties fiesta's, they would have to change it! different i know, but a point.

sanctuary, means like a retreit (sp) so are they saying that the word can only refer to them? um- no!

as people have said just write to them explaining to them what your name is and how you are in no way using their name or trying to pass your self off as them, and you will be in no way intimidated into changing your name. you are a nail tech, this is the hand reference, and sanctuary is refering to how your clients can escape from it all whilst having a manicure.

oh poo to them!

I think that probably the best policy is to basically ignore the contents of the letter, but to seek legal advice yourself - just in case. To reply to the letter is to admit concern and that is probably the intention of it. The best method of dealing with bullies is not to rise to the bait.

Hi hun,

My sister has had nearly the same problem, she has called herself "The Beauty Sanctuary" I dont think she has been contacted by the sanctuarys solicitors yet though but had a phone call from a lady who had also had a letter like yours because of using the name "sanctuary" in the name of her salon and she rang to warn my sister, although im sure my sis did some kind of name/copyright check???? before she choose her name!

I'm not sure of what happened yet but i'll ask her & let you know.

Latest posts

Back