A little bit stressed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi geeks, not been on here in a long time!
I used to be self employed but recently ceased business and got a job within a salon as BT. I just feel more stressed and awkward now than when I was the boss! And that was partly why I ceased business, to ease the stress.

I am sole BT at the salon and took over from the BT who was sacked due to me starting (awkward.) This rang alarm bells to me then. My boss is now starting to tell me that I must meet targets when no targets were mentioned before employment or in my contract. It was implied if these aren't met, that it doesn't look good for me. I feel she blames me if business is slow, but I am doing everything within my power to boost treatment sales.

Her salon is upstairs, and there isn't much beauty advertising in the hair salon where the bulk of clients are, so I feel that this is an advertising problem. I really am trying, I stay back late with a client when needed and do all cleaning and reception tasks.

Sometimes she books in treatments in impossible timings as obv she wants the business, but this isn't giving me enough time to do a quality job and give the client good service. I also have my breaks cut short and I am asked for business ideas and I suggest these but they aren't taken.

So I don't really know what to do to please her. Any suggestions? Thanks

I would definitely say alarm bells are ringing for me too...if she gave away another therapists job in order to give it to you, what's stopping her ousting you in a few days or weeks?! That's shocking behaviour, and goes against employment law.

If your contract says nothing about targets then she can't insist that the safety of your job depends on these being met. The way she's working is completely unprofessional. Are you In a trial period? Do you currently have the right to walk away with short or no notice? I would get out of there, personally. If its stressing you out as you say it is, try to find someone else, or start up on your own again on a smaller scale...I think you would be better off out of there. And if you're not planning on working for someone else and do t need a reference from her, I wouldn't bother turning up tomorrow morning...! But that's just my opinion!

Hope you get things sorted and your stress levels return to normal soon xx

She paid the therapist a week in lieu and told her not to come back (this is within my contract that she can do this.)

I am in a 3 month trial which is valid for another month. I can walk away within a weeks notice, however I have to pay all training costs back if I do and so far I have undertaken 3 courses and I can't really afford to pay it, so I feel a bit stuck.

Thanks for the advice xx

Latest posts

Back