A little mermaid (art)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ris

Reaction score
She looks clearer in reality and, sort of, stands out more against the background (a little pic in the corner is there to give an idea) - this is the best I can take with my camera.
I hope you can still see the mermaid. ))

Hi I can't critique you because I'm not qualified to, but I love this. The colour combination is lovely and the mermaid is gorgeous! I have done a nail art course though and would love to be able to produce work like this. Could I ask how you did the effect with the nails without the mermaid on? I would love to have a go at something like this. :green:

thanks, Orbie
Could I ask how you did the effect with the nails without the mermaid on?

Let's see if I can explain this.. Those are kind of stylized stones, as you may have guessed :green:. First I did a background for the stones using watered down acrylic paint of some suitable colour – I used very pale sea-green. Let dry (I usually use a hair dryer ;) ).
Then you mark the outlines of the future stones with some dark (black, etc) paint using a very thin brush. Make the stones of different sizes and shapes. There will be spaces between the stones but disregard them for now.
When you have done this colour the stones with different colours: you may use two different colours on the same brush, for example, white and black for gray stones and thus get uneven colour. And so on. After you’ve done the stones look at the spaces between the stones – they should be pale sea-green (the background colour). Leave it that way if you like the look of it. Or you may slightly dab the spaces with a brush and a little dark paint on it to create a mottled look. (A little trick – the mottled effect can be achieved using glitters).
Once you’re done you may want to mark the edges of the stones once again using dark and white paint. Then, using the same dark and white paint and a thin brush I make a kind of whorls or wavy lines along the outer edge of the picture – just one or two lines that will add some ‘fluidity’. Complete the stones with groups of black and white dots of different sizes here and there. And there you are!

Fab work thanks for sharing :)

aaah. isnt she beautiful, i love these nails.

thanks, Orbie

Let's see if I can explain this.. Those are kind of stylized stones, as you may have guessed :green:. First I did a background for the stones using watered down acrylic paint of some suitable colour – I used very pale sea-green. Let dry (I usually use a hair dryer ;) ).
Then you mark the outlines of the future stones with some dark (black, etc) paint using a very thin brush. Make the stones of different sizes and shapes. There will be spaces between the stones but disregard them for now.
When you have done this colour the stones with different colours: you may use two different colours on the same brush, for example, white and black for gray stones and thus get uneven colour. And so on. After you’ve done the stones look at the spaces between the stones – they should be pale sea-green (the background colour). Leave it that way if you like the look of it. Or you may slightly dab the spaces with a brush and a little dark paint on it to create a mottled look. (A little trick – the mottled effect can be achieved using glitters).
Once you’re done you may want to mark the edges of the stones once again using dark and white paint. Then, using the same dark and white paint and a thin brush I make a kind of whorls or wavy lines along the outer edge of the picture – just one or two lines that will add some ‘fluidity’. Complete the stones with groups of black and white dots of different sizes here and there. And there you are!

thank you I think I may have to sit in front of the comp and paint while reading lol :green: thanks again I will give this a go when I have some free time :hug:

Beautiful nails, well done :) xx

Wow they look amazing :)

Not at all qualified or clever enough to do any of this so I am in awe and well............awesome, absolutely stunning (in my eyes anyway!)

thank you I think I may have to sit in front of the comp and paint while reading lol :green:
It will come to you, don't worry ;).

Thank you all, geegs, for your very pleasant feedback.
I know there is always room for improvement but I thought it was good enough to post... And you are all being really nice to me :Love:

I love the colours that you have used, and the mermaid looks fantastic! This method of hand painting looks very effective! Great job! x x

Latest posts

Back