A little nervous to ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBD Just Gel & Ezflow Trugel are both at the price point you like & are professional only products.

These companies have long & respected histories in professional nail care.

They do the job effectively & are a world above what you have currently invested in. Lots of professionals use them & their range is immense. They will also be able to provide MSDS sheets which you need for insurance & probably aren’t available from your current gel provider.

Even if you need to stay at the lower end of the gel market I think it is imperative you choose a respected nail care brand that is marketed for professionals only.

Aligning yourself with an unbranded gel range sold predominantly to the public damages your credibility as a proficient nail tech.

Their distributor is here: http://www.graftons.co.uk/

Or you can buy from Salons Direct http://www.salonsdirect.com

Thanks I've been doing some research today and use salons direct a lot, thanks for the other link I'll definitely check it out.

I agree and that's why I came on here to ask for advice on people who've been using the products much longer than I have, for practice I'll keep the set I have but for clients I'll definitely invest in some professional quality products

Yes the kit I have is most probably a do it at home type. I'm not sure if it's what you saw in boots but it has '3 Week Nails TM' plastered over the lot so it's definitely it's own brand name.

The trouble with starting out on your own is that you have to buy all your equipment yourself and I'm struggling, I do try and get the best for what I can afford, but I hope once I'm up and running properly I can save and buy some better quality product

It sounds like you're really trying your best to get your equipment. And I'm sure you can't wait to get started, however is there any chance you can wait and save before you buy anymore products?

The only reason I'm saying this is because you'll probably end up buying twice as you might find that you're not happy with the brand that you have gone with.

I'm not saying that you should go with Shellac, Gelish or any other brand. But do your research well and find a brand that has awesome feedback from the professionals that use it.

If the product you have bought is openly available to the public, why would clients then pay you for your service? (This is no way meant as a dig at all), but if you went somewhere for a treatment and they had products that you could purchase yourself...surely you'd save yourself the money and just do it yourself, no?

It sounds like you're really trying your best to get your equipment. And I'm sure you can't wait to get started, however is there any chance you can wait and save before you buy anymore products?

The only reason I'm saying this is because you'll probably end up buying twice as you might find that you're not happy with the brand that you have gone with.

I'm not saying that you should go with Shellac, Gelish or any other brand. But do your research well and find a brand that has awesome feedback from the professionals that use it.

If the product you have bought is openly available to the public, why would clients then pay you for your service? (This is no way meant as a dig at all), but if you went somewhere for a treatment and they had products that you could purchase yourself...surely you'd save yourself the money and just do it yourself, no?

I completely agree and understand you're not having a dig. Unfortunately to progress in my home learning course I need to buy products in order to complete units it's the one down side, and I've got what I can afford at the moment.
Once I'm fully qualified and building up a clientele I will definitely be purchasing some better products to use as I agree with what you say about anyone being able to buy.

Starting up I think everyone is impatient, but at the moment I have enough l&p and gel to practice on myself and family and get the technique right, whilst any money I earn through other work I am planning on saving to invest in much better products.

I appreciate the advice and I know technicians must get fed up with new starters rushing around and just buying whatever, so I'm really trying to get product advice from people who've been in the industry and tried and tested different things before I go shopping :)

It's probably going to be a case of trial and error for you hon. for instance I can't stand IBD I don't feel like it lasts very long however another technician may love it and feel its long lasting. I use lcn as my sculpture gel and cnd retention+ for L&P because nothing compares in MY opinion. I love shellac for gel polish and I know people who don't get on with it and prefer gelish! just one of those things x

It's probably going to be a case of trial and error for you hon. for instance I can't stand IBD I don't feel like it lasts very long however another technician may love it and feel its long lasting. I use lcn as my sculpture gel and cnd retention+ for L&P because nothing compares in MY opinion. I love shellac for gel polish and I know people who don't get on with it and prefer gelish! just one of those things x

Yeah everyone has their favorite. It's just a pain as if you need a specific lamp for a specific gel it's hard to know which to start with :) I'm looking into CND as their range is massive so loads to chose from and experiment with both bottle and builder x

Latest posts

Back