A little post about laser & IPL

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebeccasbeauty

Reaction score
I just wanted to write a post about the obove topic so hopefully I can help someone out who is looking into getting into laser hair removal. I started researching this back in Aug last year and this week I've finially started doing my first clients. It's been a very confusing and stressful decision when deciding what system to go with. I don't want to debate what works best laser or ipl as I think they both have their place and you need to purchase which machine works for your business. I was dead cert it had to be laser then I got speaking to company's and got sold into wanting an ipl I was about to sign on the dotted line but thought I'd just check pro beauty and I happened to stumble into a (laser) company where I just instantly knew I could work with these people I liked there machine and instantly liked them I think it's very important to have good after sales and support as to having a good machine.
So that threw a spanner in the works because I'd always ideally wanted a laser because I personally believed that to be the better of the two and actually travelled quite far to have my own treatments with a repeatable laser machine but I'd quite grown to the idea of having an ipl it was cheaper I could do skin rejuve Acne clearing. So I just decided to wait I was part way into my nvq level 4 and knew soon I'd be doing assessments using the colleges ipl machine and having had treatments with a cynosure laser I had a good idea how that operated and I could compare the two. This to me was the deal changer that I knew I wanted a laser. Don't worry to much about how quickly you can do a treatment this seems to be a big selling point from the company's at the end of the day both ways are quick and your profit margins are going to be huge, but with ipl you need to consider that you have to wipe the gel on and then treat wipe the gel off move to the next area gel on treat gel off. This is time consuming, even when you can use a large 22sqcm head and at college we only do a high bikin not sure how I'd like having cold gel smeared over my Hollywood and an ipl head pressed firmly on that area I would imagine it to be tricky business. With a laser it's non contact and beside the slight pain it's not unpleasant having a Hollywood nothing comes into actual contact with anything down there so your privacy feels far less invaded. So i decided to go with a company called Polaris it's an n:D yag machine this is good for all skin types especially dark. There are also other types of laser such as the alexandrite this is great for light skin but I liked the fact I could treat all skin types 1-6. I would like to purchase an ipl machine in the future for skin rejuvenation as when I ive been doing my training I have seen fantastic results but for hair removal this felt like the best choice for me. I think when looking into this you need to really take your time and do tons and tons of research book a good level 4 course not a short one it blows my mind people can operate these machines without it. Hopefully the legislation should change soon. Go to the show see all the machines see what company you feel confident with. Tell the company's not to compare their machines it drove me mad how much the big companies would slag their competitors off. I think If a company wasn't at the show that's not a great sign. Have the treatment your self both ipl and laser see which one you think you'd prefur to do. I know sometimes it comes down to price lasers are more expensive but I believe some companies help with finance. And one last thing I did right before I brought was to go on the companies salon finders and call the salons and speak to them about how they got on with their machines no one minded speaking to me and I got some fantastic advice. Good luck in finding the right company I know it's stressful but it pays off when you know you've made the right decision and you know your going to have super happy clients and a super busy business <3

Great post. Thank you x

Your welcome X

Hi could you supply the name of the website /company you used for your machine. Thanks

Here's a little extract from our website comparing IPL and laser:

Although laser is regarded as the more effective light-based treatment for hair removal due to its higher level of concentrated light energy, IPL maintains its equal share of popularity across the beauty industry.

While laser would be the treatment of choice for stubborn hairs on smaller areas such as the lip or chin, IPL is the preferred choice for covering larger areas such as the legs or back. This is most often attributed to the larger spot size of IPL treatment tips, making the treatment much faster than if performed with laser. Furthermore, with new gentler IPL functions like SHR now available, it is also increasing in popularity for treatment of more sensitive and intimate areas.

Because of the clear advantages of both laser and IPL, beauty professionals are often torn between which is the better investment, when ideally having both would be optimal for meeting the needs of any patient.

So why choose when you can have both? With the advanced platform technology driving the Biocare-one, you can deliver both laser and IPL from one multifunctional device.

For more information please visit our website.

Here's a little extract from our website comparing IPL and laser:

Although laser is regarded as the more effective light-based treatment for hair removal due to its higher level of concentrated light energy, IPL maintains its equal share of popularity across the beauty industry.

While laser would be the treatment of choice for stubborn hairs on smaller areas such as the lip or chin, IPL is the preferred choice for covering larger areas such as the legs or back. This is most often attributed to the larger spot size of IPL treatment tips, making the treatment much faster than if performed with laser. Furthermore, with new gentler IPL functions like SHR now available, it is also increasing in popularity for treatment of more sensitive and intimate areas.

Because of the clear advantages of both laser and IPL, beauty professionals are often torn between which is the better investment, when ideally having both would be optimal for meeting the needs of any patient.

So why choose when you can have both? With the advanced platform technology driving the Biocare-one, you can deliver both laser and IPL from one multifunctional device.

For more information please visit our website.

Prime example for my reasons for writing this post in the first place

I just wanted to write a post about the obove topic so hopefully I can help someone out who is looking into getting into laser hair removal. I started researching this back in Aug last year and this week I've finially started doing my first clients. It's been a very confusing and stressful decision when deciding what system to go with. I don't want to debate what works best laser or ipl as I think they both have their place and you need to purchase which machine works for your business. I was dead cert it had to be laser then I got speaking to company's and got sold into wanting an ipl I was about to sign on the dotted line but thought I'd just check pro beauty and I happened to stumble into a (laser) company where I just instantly knew I could work with these people I liked there machine and instantly liked them I think it's very important to have good after sales and support as to having a good machine.
So that threw a spanner in the works because I'd always ideally wanted a laser because I personally believed that to be the better of the two and actually travelled quite far to have my own treatments with a repeatable laser machine but I'd quite grown to the idea of having an ipl it was cheaper I could do skin rejuve Acne clearing. So I just decided to wait I was part way into my nvq level 4 and knew soon I'd be doing assessments using the colleges ipl machine and having had treatments with a cynosure laser I had a good idea how that operated and I could compare the two. This to me was the deal changer that I knew I wanted a laser. Don't worry to much about how quickly you can do a treatment this seems to be a big selling point from the company's at the end of the day both ways are quick and your profit margins are going to be huge, but with ipl you need to consider that you have to wipe the gel on and then treat wipe the gel off move to the next area gel on treat gel off. This is time consuming, even when you can use a large 22sqcm head and at college we only do a high bikin not sure how I'd like having cold gel smeared over my Hollywood and an ipl head pressed firmly on that area I would imagine it to be tricky business. With a laser it's non contact and beside the slight pain it's not unpleasant having a Hollywood nothing comes into actual contact with anything down there so your privacy feels far less invaded. So i decided to go with a company called Polaris it's an n:D yag machine this is good for all skin types especially dark. There are also other types of laser such as the alexandrite this is great for light skin but I liked the fact I could treat all skin types 1-6. I would like to purchase an ipl machine in the future for skin rejuvenation as when I ive been doing my training I have seen fantastic results but for hair removal this felt like the best choice for me. I think when looking into this you need to really take your time and do tons and tons of research book a good level 4 course not a short one it blows my mind people can operate these machines without it. Hopefully the legislation should change soon. Go to the show see all the machines see what company you feel confident with. Tell the company's not to compare their machines it drove me mad how much the big companies would slag their competitors off. I think If a company wasn't at the show that's not a great sign. Have the treatment your self both ipl and laser see which one you think you'd prefur to do. I know sometimes it comes down to price lasers are more expensive but I believe some companies help with finance. And one last thing I did right before I brought was to go on the companies salon finders and call the salons and speak to them about how they got on with their machines no one minded speaking to me and I got some fantastic advice. Good luck in finding the right company I know it's stressful but it pays off when you know you've made the right decision and you know your going to have super happy clients and a super busy business <3

really helpful post -- thank you!!
we are still doing all the research and going through the various conversations with companies...but reading your story has been very helpful in helping us with the same dilemmas/questions
:)

Your
really helpful post -- thank you!!
we are still doing all the research and going through the various conversations with companies...but reading your story has been very helpful in helping us with the same dilemmas/questions
:)
your welcome X

Latest posts

Back