A long one but worth asking!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pips

Reaction score
Ok im putting my problems aside here and thinking about others.

I have a long standing friend whos husband was the pillar of the comunity, a local bus driver who would help old dears on and off the bus, would stop and help any one who he thought needed it etc, nothing was too much trouble for him and he was a friend to everyone who knew him.
In his spare time he would play footy for the local team and help out collecting subs, washing the kit, fund raising etc.
One day whilst playing footy he was tackled and winded so badly he had a asthma attack like episode, even though he had never suffered from asthma.
Since that tackle over 3 years ago his health has deteriated rapidly and is now in a wheelchair and has been diagnosed with Churg-Strauss syndrome
He can manage a few steps unaided but other than that nothing, hes in constant pain, has problems with breathing and suffers sore throats and temperatures from the chemo he has to take.

So based on the above i was thinking about doing a fund raiser of some kind local to me so i could raise money and get him a pc or laptop, he had one on loan for a few weeks and he found it distracted him and it gave him something else to do other than just sit watching tv all day.
He gets depressed and down easily and im sure if i could get one for him that was his he would have a better quality of day to day life.

We have a community recycle scheme where people offer things they have no nore use for and on a few occasions people have offered pc's but ive never been lucky enough to be able to get one for him. It doesnt have to be fancy or high spec so long as it works. If i could get a second hand one donated then money raised could pay for him a w/end away that accomodates wheelchairs.

So now i ask......
1, does any kind geek local to me have a pc sat gathering dust that could be put to good use.?

2, what kind of fundraisers would be the easiest to do.?

3, do i need permission from somewhere before i can do a fund raiser?

4 if any one has any ideas they can pass on to me i would be very grateful.

I said it was a long one and i promise i have tried to condence it down lol

You can reply in this thread or pm me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hun, if you were talking about freecycle, you can do WANTED posts. The problem with OFFERED posts is that everyone and his dog wants what's being offered, but if you ask for something that you want and put a little bit of background as to why you want it, you may be surprised. Good luck :hug:

Hun, if you were talking about freecycle, you can do WANTED posts. The problem with OFFERED posts is that everyone and his dog wants what's being offered, but if you ask for something that you want and put a little bit of background as to why you want it, you may be surprised. Good luck :hug:
Pips has been putting up wanted ads on there for a while now with no success,
pips do your fund raising on a sunday or monday hun and you know i will be there to help you out :hug:
as far as know you don't need permission to do it as long as all the funds raised goes to the cause, you would just need permission from someone to lend you a venue,
as for ideas we could do a pamper day, offer treatments to people and the money taken could go to the cause
others could do a cake stall they always go down well and sell out,
face painting for kids,
some kind of competition,
hth

What a brilliant idea. I know i'm not local to you but I do know of one person that has a pc sat. I have asked the question and will get back to you xxxxxxx

OK guys, you got yourself a puter, just need to work out how to get it to you xx

it's in working order, but has no internet capabilities. I will get it round mine and ask my ex to look at it to see what it needs re internet if he want internet on it and maybe if it's just a modem you can get that from your fundraiser xx Unless anyone has a modem gathering dust lol xx

If anyone is travelling up to yorkshire way I'm in bolton and have a Monitor free to good home.
Its nothing special but its yours if its picked up

Thankyou so much guys, he doesn't know anything about this so hes going to be over the moon.:hug:

OK guys, you got yourself a puter, just need to work out how to get it to you xx

it's in working order, but has no internet capabilities. I will get it round mine and ask my ex to look at it to see what it needs re internet if he want internet on it and maybe if it's just a modem you can get that from your fundraiser xx Unless anyone has a modem gathering dust lol xx

Thankyou so much guys, he doesn't know anything about this so hes going to be over the moon.:hug:

what a lovely thread...how kind pips of you to ask for this nice man..

and how lovely ladygemini that you got him a computer....who says us geeks dont show THE LUV xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Ive got an external modem, you are welcome to it, just give me address to send it to?

Just thought i would update you.

I went to my line dancing class tonight and got chatting with the others there and we have decided to do a social night combined with a sponsored line dance.
All those taking part in the line dance have agreed to pay a joining fee but will also have the choice to get sponsored

We are getting tickets printed and will be selling them on the run up to the night and everyone has said they dont mind buying a ticket to be there.

We have already had a donation of £100 and been offered a week in a static caravan we can raffle off.

Also we are having a persons raffle, by that i mean raffle people and their service, we have a gardner who will offer half a days works free of charge and also an electrician who has donated half a day so we hope to do a raffle on these or maybe a bidding auction and the highest bidder gets their service.

We have had donations of bottles of wine and box's of chocolates that we can raffle amongs other items.

The club we do the dancing at has said we can have the room free of charge, all we need is a deposit to secure the date and to cover any breakages should there be any.

So all in all it looks like it could be a good night with plenty of money to be made and hopefully it will pay for a long w/end away for himself and his wife (who is also his carer) or a few seperate days out be it the theatre, show, coast etc.

We have also discussed depending how much we raise getting some comfy garden furnature like a table and reclining chairs so he can sit out in the summer in comfort and not sit in his wheelchair all the time.

I will keep you all updated as things progress and would just like to take this opportunity to thank those that have pm'd me, replied in this thread or been generous enough to donate a pc. THANKYOU !!!:hug:

Ive got an external modem, you are welcome to it, just give me address to send it to?

Stoney that is so very kind, i will pm you my addy.

Thankyou geeks, i knew i could count on you to help :hug:

Hi there, have you thought about getting in touch with a reporter on your local paper to run a story ... they love 'human interest' stories and if the guy was popular in the community all the better as people will know him. Maybe just e-mail them what you've posted here for starters. Obviously you'd have to ask him first!!! You never know what might come of it. A local computer firm might jump at the chance of offering one in return for a plug in the story. Best of luck and good on you for trying to help xxx

Hi there, have you thought about getting in touch with a reporter on your local paper to run a story ... they love 'human interest' stories and if the guy was popular in the community all the better as people will know him. Maybe just e-mail them what you've posted here for starters. Obviously you'd have to ask him first!!! You never know what might come of it. A local computer firm might jump at the chance of offering one in return for a plug in the story. Best of luck and good on you for trying to help xxx

Something to think about, thankyou!

It's so nice that you are giving something back. It's such a shame this has happened to this kind man, but kindness is coming his way. How lovely.

Good luck with the fundraising my love xxx

It's so nice that you are giving something back. It's such a shame this has happened to this kind man, but kindness is coming his way. How lovely.

Good luck with the fundraising my love xxx

Thankyou! Im really enjoying organising it all and to be honest its taking my mind off my own problems :hug:

I think it's really nice you are doing this for him, he's lucky to have such a nice friend(s) who appreciates him and what he's done for everyone.

I hope it all goes well for you, have a good night!:D

Latest posts

Back