A lot of white marks on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsgalore13

Reaction score
Hi I had a client in the other day for gelish.she has not had any on for a few month.her nails had a lot of white spots.a bit like dehydration, or damage.
I gave them a very very light buff and it came off!!
Just wondered what it could have been? Could it have been a built up off normal polish she had been wearing?
Didn't like to buff it off but thats the only way it came off?. Any help great fully received. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396563191.855229.jpg
Like this?
I done exactly what you said too & lightly buffed it & next appointment there was none it was so strange! I put a thread on here but didn't really get a helpful answer apart from dehydration but that wouldn't buff away would it? Anyway advise the client plenty cuticle oil and if it is dehydration it will go away and if it is that she has picked something off it will grow out xx

It could be fungal. I had a client come in from another salon with white spots all over her nails and toe nails. I thought it was damage because she told me her old salon always scraped her gel polish off. After a few Shellac treatments (and obviously a lot of nail growth) the white spots hadn't grown out at all. I did some research online and found pictures that looked just like hers and found it was a form of fungus. Sent her to a doctor, who confirmed. I had only been taught to look for uneven edges, discoloration, separation from the nail bed, and thickening of nail as signs of fungus, so I was very surprised.

I've had clients that pick shellac off and it rips off layers leaving spots similar to the picture posted. It buffs evenly but, I'm afraid to continue as it seems to be a bad cycle: shellac, pick, buff, repeat

Wow, it looks like damage I have seen done to people's nails after having their gel polish removed too roughly by other tech's. I don't think "dehydration" is a thing. I keep hearing about it on here. I'm in the U.S. and I don't hear about "dehydration" here at all. We're taught that white spots are usually trauma, if it's furry or fuzzy and the nail is peeling in layers it could be fungal. But, it's against the law for us to diagnose a client so if we suspect it may be fungal we tell the client to see a doctor to have their nails looked at. I have a client right now who has what I suspect is pseudomonas and advised her to see a doctor but she says she doesn't have insurance. I can't tell her it's a bacterial infection because it's against the law. So, I keep treating it like it's a bacterial infection and it is slowly getting better. *sigh* I went off track, sorry. Your pic looks like trauma done to the nails by a previous tech. IMHO

Last edited:
I know personally my client didn't pick off cause I remove gently every 2-3 weeks but she didn't use her oil! Not sure about the OP xx

View attachment 60817
Like this?
I done exactly what you said too & lightly buffed it & next appointment there was none it was so strange! I put a thread on here but didn't really get a helpful answer apart from dehydration but that wouldn't buff away would it? Anyway advise the client plenty cuticle oil and if it is dehydration it will go away and if it is that she has picked something off it will grow out xx

Hi yes it was exactly like the finger with her rings on,like that white??!! i wouldnt have thought it was dehydration if it buffs off,thanks so much for the picture and help!x

It could be fungal. I had a client come in from another salon with white spots all over her nails and toe nails. I thought it was damage because she told me her old salon always scraped her gel polish off. After a few Shellac treatments (and obviously a lot of nail growth) the white spots hadn't grown out at all. I did some research online and found pictures that looked just like hers and found it was a form of fungus. Sent her to a doctor, who confirmed. I had only been taught to look for uneven edges, discoloration, separation from the nail bed, and thickening of nail as signs of fungus, so I was very surprised.

oh gosh yes that is wierd,i would never have thought white spots were fungal?! but if it was fungal surly i wouldnt be able to buff if off?thanks for your reply x

I've had clients that pick shellac off and it rips off layers leaving spots similar to the picture posted. It buffs evenly but, I'm afraid to continue as it seems to be a bad cycle: shellac, pick, buff, repeat

yes and i did say to her has she picked any off but she said she hasnt had any on for months! she has just been wearing nail varnish but she doesnt remove it properly and just applies some more,thats why i thought maybe a build up.thanks for reply x

Wow, it looks like damage I have seen done to people's nails after having their gel polish removed too roughly by other tech's. I don't think "dehydration" is a thing. I keep hearing about it on here. I'm in the U.S. and I don't hear about "dehydration" here at all. We're taught that white spots are usually trauma, if it's furry or fuzzy and the nail is peeling in layers it could be fungal. But, it's against the law for us to diagnose a client so if we suspect it may be fungal we tell the client to see a doctor to have their nails looked at. I have a client right now who has what I suspect is pseudomonas and advised her to see a doctor but she says she doesn't have insurance. I can't tell her it's a bacterial infection because it's against the law. So, I keep treating it like it's a bacterial infection and it is slowly getting better. *sigh* I went off track, sorry. Your pic looks like trauma done to the nails by a previous tech. IMHO

thanks for reply,i always thought trauma but couldnt understand why it buffed off!x

oh gosh yes that is wierd,i would never have thought white spots were fungal?! but if it was fungal surly i wouldnt be able to buff if off?thanks for your reply x

From what I read, it's a superficial fungus that has so far only effected the top layers of the nail. So buffing can remove the affected layers.

IBX should help with nail damage from aggressive removal.

From what I read, it's a superficial fungus that has so far only effected the top layers of the nail. So buffing can remove the affected layers.

oh gosh i wouldnt have known that at all! thanks very much for that x

IBX should help with nail damage from aggressive removal.

yes that would be a good thing to have.thank you!x

Would using ibx not contaminate the bottle if its fungal? I thought we were to refer to drs and not touch anything fungal?

Yes very true actually? ? Mmm maybe that wouldn't be a good idea! X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back