A question about hard skin on feet.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Last night I was sat grating the hard skin off my feet (as you do!) and my bf was mocking me, and totally grossed out by it.

His feet are completely smooth - not one tiny patch of hard skin anywhere.

This got me wondering why there is such a difference between his feet and mine.... and why do some people have no hard skin at all? Is it a genetic thing? Or is it something that women suffer from rather than men?

My mum always said that hard skin was caused by walking around in bare feet, but my bf does that just as much as I do, if not more, and his feet are soft as a baby's bottom....

My feet are always covered in hard skin, I file them every week - my sister and mum had NEVER had a pedicure until I started training (plus my sister is a serial hard skin picker!) and they both have the softest skin I've ever seen!! Husband is the same x

Does you bf wear socks and shoes for the most part? I've found that people who do, their feet tend to stay moist and soft.

Well yes, he does, but I also wear thick opaque tights and shoes all winter long... so not sure that completely explains it. Interesting that the previous poster said she suffers from terrible hard skin yet her Mum and sister don't....

Makes me think that there's gotta be something else going on lol - any other theories out there?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Alot is to do with the foot wear we choose. If you wear lots of flip flops this can course hard skin as you grip to keep them on with out realising . On the other hand if you wear flat comfortable shoes with socks you Will find you hardly get any hard skin. Hope this helps x

sometimes the more you remove hard skin with foot files etc you can end up making it worse as the skin reacts by building up more hard skin so sometimes less is more :)
hth

I'm in nothing but flipflops in the summer and my feet never get hard skin.

I remember when working at the hospital with my dermatologist, (yes, I know sounds weird), we were talking about skin, in particular hard skin, and he was saying that the build up on the feet has nothing to do with the footwear we wear, or we don't wear. Remember here we're talking about heel and pressure pad areas, not problems with ill fitting shoes or bunions etc. He said that 90% of it is due to our hormones, yes, those damned things are responsible for so much.

Another factor is that when we use footfiles and pumice stones etc, that has the opposite effect, because as we file away, all it does it to stimulate the cells into a massive reproduction and therefore results in even thicker skin.

I detest the hard skin on my heels, but find now that a really good cream, I use one with propolis in, applied at bedtime, every night, has worked wonders. There's nothing uglier than pretty sandals, painted toe nails, yet ugly thick cracked skin on the heels.

hope this helps.

I am always bare foot or in flip flops and have never had hard skin on my feet

I wear flat shoes and socks most of the time and my feet are terrible for hard skin!

I remember when working at the hospital with my dermatologist, (yes, I know sounds weird), we were talking about skin, in particular hard skin, and he was saying that the build up on the feet has nothing to do with the footwear we wear, or we don't wear. Remember here we're talking about heel and pressure pad areas, not problems with ill fitting shoes or bunions etc. He said that 90% of it is due to our hormones, yes, those damned things are responsible for so much.

Another factor is that when we use footfiles and pumice stones etc, that has the opposite effect, because as we file away, all it does it to stimulate the cells into a massive reproduction and therefore results in even thicker skin.

I detest the hard skin on my heels, but find now that a really good cream, I use one with propolis in, applied at bedtime, every night, has worked wonders. There's nothing uglier than pretty sandals, painted toe nails, yet ugly thick cracked skin on the heels.

hope this helps.
Very interesting point there x

i never suffer with hard skin unless i go through a period of wearing sandals or flip flops and then they get hard

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

but as soom as i wear socks again it dissapears

i get jealous of the smooth footed people... when im working on them always be fascinated by how smooth and totally hard skin free they are... do you think heavier people have a tendancy to have more hard skin?

and ive just done some reasearch on google and it said on a few sites that hard skin is down to the way we walk run and footwear and the amount of friction and this will increase the amount of skin we produce to protect the feet wich makes sense really as when your a baby there feet are so smooth but as they get older and start walking you notice there skin starts to become thicker and also i think air has something to do with it.. but i totally agree its mostly down to foot wear and the weight your feet are holding etc

i get jealous of the smooth footed people... when im working on them always be fascinated by how smooth and totally hard skin free they are... do you think heavier people have a tendancy to have more hard skin?

yep because just read it on some website it increases the pressure on your feet especially the balls and heel of foot bit cant see anything any where about hormones x

I have hard skin build up on my ugly old feet. Im a flip flop girl, bare foot at home and uggs and socks in winter. However ive been moisturising my feet for the past week with cnd scentsations lotion once or twice a day and the difference is amazing!! Cannot wait to get sea scrub, serum and cucumber heal therapy later this month but for the time being my scentsations cream rocks!

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/CornsandCalluses/Pages/CornsandcallusesCauses.aspx theres also that link as well its basically if you have bare feet alot or wear high heels or over weight or eldery that your more prone to it as the friction and weight on the foot or in the elderly its the fact of having less fat in there feet that causes it, i cant stand not wearing socks if ive no shoes on ive always got them on in the house and i dont suffer with hard skin unless like i say its summer and go through a period of wearing sandals and not wearing socks in the house... but glad i know this now so i know to wear socks shoes where i can and moisturise and all will be fine lol

I don't really think you can compare the picture on the NHS website, (of severe corns and callouses) to hard skin on the feet. They are two totally different things. As I mentioned before, corns and callouses of this nature are basically due to ill fitting shoes.

I know a lady who is very large, never wears socks, is now in her 60's, and has the most baby soft feet ever.

Latest posts

Back