A question about natural nail preparation before polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
Hey all. I am noticing lately (I don't remember having this problem much before) that when polish my manicure clients that I am having little bumps show through the polish so I am forced to keep wiping it off and start over on a few nails which is really annoying. It seems to be their own nail peeling in certain areas. I buff with a natural nail buffer and I also scrub with scrubfresh prior to polish application. I'm just wondering if there is a trick to completely "bump free" smooth polish application each and every time on a natural nail?

making sure the nails are smooth...and dust free and also rolling and not shaking the bottles (to prevent bubbles) helps.

DEFINITELY DO NOT SHAKE THE BOTTLE and maybe use something like Ridge Out from CND as your base coat. It is great for making natural nails look as smooth as enhancements.

Thanks, I will try the Ridge Out. I am currently using Stickey. But the bumps I speak of are not the ridges on the clients nails. They are tiny little specks of lint or pieces of the clients own peeling nails, know what I mean? Like a little crumb? Am I not scrubbing hard enough with the scrubfresh?

i use a 3 way buffer to smooth the nails and the free edge...this should eliminate any raggy bits of nail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the 1200 side of the Koala with S/oil ON THE BUFFER... perfect for making natural nails as smooth as possible x:hug:

hey, make sure the nail is completely free of cuticle oil otherwise the varnish will bubble and peel.

good luck
:lol:

hey, make sure the nail is completely free of cuticle oil otherwise the varnish will bubble and peel.

good luck
:lol:

??? not quite sure i understand the free of cuticle bit :confused:

I think she means to make sure that you remove all of the oil off the nail before you polish :green:

Yes Kitkat, she did say, 'free of cuticle oil' not 'free of cuticle'.

Removing the cuticle oil is exactly what she meant, but as you are using scubfresh, I would imagine that you are removing all the oil.

Just another example of people not reading threads properly!:eek:

Hi, it's only a thought but when you say looks like pieces of lint could it be that you have got something on your Stickey brush ( dust which is still floating in the air etc). I have found that on a couple of occasions if there has been something floating around in the air it has been be attracted to my Stickey and this has looked like a bit of lint on the nail.

just another thing...is your holder for your lint free wipes covered...?? many (including myself) have a nice little dish or something for our wipes....but forget about the filing and those nice lint free wipes are now dusty lint free wipes....i now have mine in a container thats got a lid.

just another thing...is your holder for your lint free wipes covered...?? many (including myself) have a nice little dish or something for our wipes....but forget about the filing and those nice lint free wipes are now dusty lint free wipes....i now have mine in a container thats got a lid.

omg i never thought of that, i will invest in a little tub to keep them in from now on, will pass this little tip on to the girls on my course too, thnks angie great hint there hun

nicky xxxx

Yes actually :green: I have a nice glass container with a lid on my desk. I'm thinking it could be that when I am pushing the cuticle back with my pushy that I am peeling off the top layer of the nail ever so slightly? This could be what is causing it I think but I'm not sure.

Yes actually :green: I have a nice glass container with a lid on my desk. I'm thinking it could be that when I am pushing the cuticle back with my pushy that I am peeling off the top layer of the nail ever so slightly? This could be what is causing it I think but I'm not sure.

is it new...??? i find them a little sharp when they are new.

hi

can i ask why we roll polish bottle and not shake ?

never heard this before?

sorry if it is stupid question x

hi

can i ask why we roll polish bottle and not shake ?

never heard this before?

sorry if it is stupid question x

When you shake the bottle you can cause air bubbles in the bottle, roll the bottle between your hands and that doesn't happen.

oh right ok thanks for that will remember for the future

should i have known that as a nail tech lol

x

Latest posts

Back