A question about oil . . .

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have seen a new client today who had nails applied 2 weeks ago today, locally. There was lifting on most fingers around cuticles and sidewalls, and under the lifting it had turned a yellowish colour. She asked me if it could have been the Avoplex oil by OPI that could have turned them yellow as it is a very yellow colour and should she stop using it and buy some Solar Oil from me.

I told her no, I didn't think it would be that and didn't recommend she bought the solar oil, as far as I know Avoplex is a reputable oil by a good company and as she has only just bought it 2 weeks ago when she had her nails done, it should be fine to use. I know I could have made a sale but I wasn't going to do that just for the sake of it.

Was I right to say the Avoplex wouldn't have turned the product yellow?

I have seen a new client today who had nails applied 2 weeks ago today, locally. There was lifting on most fingers around cuticles and sidewalls, and under the lifting it had turned a yellowish colour. She asked me if it could have been the Avoplex oil by OPI that could have turned them yellow as it is a very yellow colour and should she stop using it and buy some Solar Oil from me.

I told her no, I didn't think it would be that and didn't recommend she bought the solar oil, as far as I know Avoplex is a reputable oil by a good company and as she has only just bought it 2 weeks ago when she had her nails done, it should be fine to use. I know I could have made a sale but I wasn't going to do that just for the sake of it.

Was I right to say the Avoplex wouldn't have turned the product yellow?
Just from the sound of it and not having seen the nails, it sounds like there was insufficient prep or product touching soft tissue to cause the lifting so soon....do you think that this could have been the start of a bacterial infection....did you recommend that you remove the lifting and rebalance her nails for her.....that's what I would have done if I saw something like this, regardless of the sale of the oil I would have taken the client in hand and sorted the lifting etc!

Just from the sound of it and not having seen the nails, it sounds like there was insufficient prep or product touching soft tissue to cause the lifting so soon....do you think that this could have been the start of a bacterial infection....did you recommend that you remove the lifting and rebalance her nails for her.....that's what I would have done if I saw something like this, regardless of the sale of the oil I would have taken the client in hand and sorted the lifting etc!

Thanks for your quick reply Cathie!
Sorry, didn't make it clear what I'd done really, did I :lol:

I think the lifting was caused by the product being way to thick at the sidewalls and cuticles, there was a big ridge.

No, definitely not the start of a bacterial infection, more like something she has been using has crept under there, that's what it looked like to me. But would it be the oil?

I removed all the lifting and did a French rebalance for her, giving her a much more natural smile line instead of the exaggerated one which the white tips had given her (she said they didn't ask what she wanted :eek: just put them on). She was very happy and has rebooked for 2.5 weeks time.

Just the question of the oil, really, I mean, a yellow coloured oil wouldn't have crept under the lifted l&p and made it look yellow would it? I'm not familiar with Avoplex except that it is made by OPI who I believe are one of the better companies?

Thanks for your quick reply Cathie!
Sorry, didn't make it clear what I'd done really, did I :lol:

I think the lifting was caused by the product being way to thick at the sidewalls and cuticles, there was a big ridge.

No, definitely not the start of a bacterial infection, more like something she has been using has crept under there, that's what it looked like to me. But would it be the oil?

I removed all the lifting and did a French rebalance for her, giving her a much more natural smile line instead of the exaggerated one which the white tips had given her (she said they didn't ask what she wanted :eek: just put them on). She was very happy and has rebooked for 2.5 weeks time.

Just the question of the oil, really, I mean, a yellow coloured oil wouldn't have crept under the lifted l&p and made it look yellow would it? I'm not familiar with Avoplex except that it is made by OPI who I believe are one of the better companies?
Ah now this is a totally different post to the original one lol! Did the Scrubfresh or even removal of shine not remove the staining?

Now this might sound silly but I have found that clients who eat a lot of fruit, especially oranges or tangerines etc get this type of staining especially in the side walls, from peeling the fruit.

I'm sure if the OPI oil was doing this OPI would have sorted it before now!

Ah now this is a totally different post to the original one lol! Did the Scrubfresh or even removal of shine not remove the staining? No it didn't it was kinda stuck on the underside of the lifted product iykwim

Now this might sound silly but I have found that clients who eat a lot of fruit, especially oranges or tangerines etc get this type of staining especially in the side walls, from peeling the fruit. Mmm, I've found that too, but it was on all ten fingers, good thought though Cathie, I spose it could be that if she uses all ten finger to peel her fruit lol

I'm sure if the OPI oil was doing this OPI would have sorted it before now! Good point!

It's a puzzle innit.

I have experienced a similar situation.
I gave myself an acrylic overlay on my toes for my recent holiday (which was very hot).
During this time I was using an oil I received as a gift from my mother in law(not opi but one by an italian co called Etrie). The oil is very yellow in colour and indeed my toes did end up with a yellow tinge! When I came home, polish remover did remove the colour.
I have never had this problem before so I put it down to the oil. :rolleyes:

I use solar oil in the salon and usually at home but i have run out at home so for the last week or so i have been using the Avoplex by OPI just because it was lying around at home,
i have just had a really good look at my nails under a really bright light and yes i do have a slight yellow tinge from the cuticle going down my nail bed about 4mm,
don't know if this is just coincidence or what but i don't peel fruit so it isn't that on my nails, hth

hi, just thought id add that my salon is opi, and i sell the mini avo oils to alot of my clients and i can 100% say i have never seen this! the oil is a light yellow but if its getting caught under the nail, then its not the oil, it the bad application of the nail, letting the oil get under and sit.......dont you think?:confused:

I have no lifting at all on my nails and i have had them on for over three weeks now (NNO) but the oil i am using is over a year old if that makes any difference ?

hmmm well i can only say i have never seen this in over a year at my place...maybe its cos its old or could it be uv discolouring?? other than that i have no clue xxx

must be because it is old in my case as it was over a year ago that i opened it then just put it in the cuboard when i started to use solar oil,
i dont have a uv top coat on just acrylic overlaying my own nails :hug:

yer maybe i meant uv light in general, as its summer, or sun beds? as they both can discolour acrylic xx

hi, just thought id add that my salon is opi, and i sell the mini avo oils to alot of my clients and i can 100% say i have never seen this! the oil is a light yellow but if its getting caught under the nail, then its not the oil, it the bad application of the nail, letting the oil get under and sit.......dont you think?:confused:

Yes I think that is it. The salon she went to did a pretty poor application, leaving it really quick thick where it should have been lovely and thin where it met her own nail . . .

She's going to carry on with the Avoplex oil, over the rebalance I did for her (which shouldn't lift) so we'll have a look in a couple of weeks I guess! lol

thanks for all your replies xx

Latest posts

Back