A question to all

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After joining recently and with 34 posts, it is perhaps because you haven't been on the site long enough to notice any rudeness, lol :lol:.
true!
I don't think most geek go looking to be liked or popular on here. But this site is a community of people and as with any community being accepted and treated as an equal is a valuable and important part of life IMO.
True again!
And as for becoming obsessed? Yes, this site is addictive like a drug and your boyfriend had better get used to you becoming a geek junkie, lol :wink2:.

cant argue with that!

I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)

So I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are

1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ???? Yes to most things I post as Geeks know I'm new to this . sometimes I have a rearly daft questions eg tip blending and I wont post it incase it is daft or people wont think I qualified enough

2. Do you get the answers you require ??? Yes most of the time Ive posted some questions and geeks have been very helpful even pm me help and info . again though it depends on the post some posts have been ignored or unanswered maybe because they have been asked many times before lol

3. How friendly do you find the site ???
Yes there are lots of good geeks on here who are willing to help and go far out of there way ,but I also agree there is a click of people who tend to know each other well maybe this is just because they have been on the site a lot longer than me . Its because of this that I'm weary of posting in chit chat Incase geeks dont want to know my daft every day life stuff lol <but I'm sure this is just me not much confidence>

I agree with the other girls there are some geeks how can be a bit short some times but sometimes people find it hard to write wot they mean and they dont always mean it this way. just mho

I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)
So I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are
1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ????

I am so new that I don't feel that I have the right to post (my problem not the site), everytime I have posted I have been made to feel welcome.

2. Do you get the answers you require ???

Yes - even to the questions I havn't asked yet. Everyone is very generous with their hard earned knowledge.

So far very friendly.

thank you all

Leslie

I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are

I would just like to say that when I first joined, I could tell that there were many geeks that had already formed close friendships, some might call them cliques, but I think that is unfair, it is just that they had been on the site a while and become close.

I felt a bit outside at first but almost everyone was very friendly and made me feel welcome and over time I became good friends with many, either as cyber mates or mates that I have meet up with socially and at competitions.

I have always asked for help if I needed it and have been happy to offer advice when I was able (sometimes even getting it wrong) :o

Yes I think the site is very friendly and there are lots of different groups of friends, maybe they live near each other and have had geek meets or they just have things in common.

As far as the rules go... well the site is huge now and as it has evolved and become salon geek and the growth of the competitions, rules have had to be brought in to deal with these changes, its not regimental its just more structured IYKWIM

Hmmm... interesting thread! There are points that I agree with and points that I wholeheartedly disagree with, more about that later lol

I think you have hit the nail on the head Angie. I didn't quite know how to word it but the word 'regimental' seems to sum it up. Rules, rules and regulations! It has taken some of the spontaneity out of much of the fun IMO.
Rules and Guidelines are there for a reason, it's so that everyone knows where they stand and it gives us something to refer to if we're unsure of something.
I'm sure Sam would be very interested to know why the rules and guidelines he's posted (or being a part of) are being viewed like this.

This site has over 14,000 members, admittedly not all of those members are regular posters, but as you can see that's a heck of a lot of people to have under the 'same roof' so to speak.
Due to the size of the site it was necessary to have some guidelines (Geek Commandments and Competition/Challenge Rules).

If any of you have a problem or query about them then why not drop one of the moderators a quick private message?

Moving on... all of this talk about cliques, where are they? who are they? What I see isn't groups of cliques, but groups of members who are friends both on and off the site, that's part of what makes this site a community! Surely that's a good thing, not a bad thing?

We've seen threads like this in the past where people have said they feel inferior sometimes, this has mainly been down to them being new to the site, not knowing how the site works, maybe them feeling a bit self conscious and reading replies the wrong way. We've all been guilty of reading replies the wrong way and not as they were intended to be read. It's no different to the way we write our replies, we need to imagine how we'd feel if it were us reading our reply, if we read our reply before hitting the 'submit' button it very often makes us think twice... that's where using the smilies comes into play :D

To be honest I don't really start threads as I feel any questions I have are answered already. I have gained confidence since joining the site, though, and am more likely to try and offer advice if I think I can.

When I first joined I too thought it could get a little cliquey, but over the last year have found that so isn't the case. I feel I've made loads of new friends who have really helped me out.:hug:

The funny thing is I think that we are getting less "nasty" posts than before. I remember towards the end of last year threads being closed left, right and centre. Or has old age played tricks with my memory?:rolleyes:

Fab thread, by the way.

Hmmm... interesting thread! There are points that I agree with and points that I wholeheartedly disagree with, more about that later lol

Rules and Guidelines are there for a reason, it's so that everyone knows where they stand and it gives us something to refer to if we're unsure of something.
I'm sure Sam would be very interested to know why the rules and guidelines he's posted (or being a part of) are being viewed like this.

This site has over 14,000 members, admittedly not all of those members are regular posters, but as you can see that's a heck of a lot of people to have under the 'same roof' so to speak.
Due to the size of the site it was necessary to have some guidelines (Geek Commandments and Competition/Challenge Rules).

If any of you have a problem or query about them then why not drop one of the moderators a quick private message?

Moving on... all of this talk about cliques, where are they? who are they? What I see isn't groups of cliques, but groups of members who are friends both on and off the site, that's part of what makes this site a community! Surely that's a good thing, not a bad thing?

We've seen threads like this in the past where people have said they feel inferior sometimes, this has mainly been down to them being new to the site, not knowing how the site works, maybe them feeling a bit self conscious and reading replies the wrong way. We've all been guilty of reading replies the wrong way and not as they were intended to be read. It's no different to the way we write our replies, we need to imagine how we'd feel if it were us reading our reply, if we read our reply before hitting the 'submit' button it very often makes us think twice... that's where using the smilies comes into play :D

I know that at times we can write something and it can be taken the wrong way etc
I would say that even if their are friendships groups or not on here doesnt matter as long as these groups dont target people and always make them feel welcome :hug:
Also I would urge geeks to contact the mods with any problems I am sure anything can be resolved but if you dont speak up they cant help :)

I would just like to say that when I first joined, I could tell that there were many geeks that had already formed close friendships, some might call them cliques, but I think that is unfair, it is just that they had been on the site a while and become close.

I felt a bit outside at first but almost everyone was very friendly and made me feel welcome and over time I became good friends with many, either as cyber mates or mates that I have meet up with socially and at competitions.

I have always asked for help if I needed it and have been happy to offer advice when I was able (sometimes even getting it wrong) :o

Yes I think the site is very friendly and there are lots of different groups of friends, maybe they live near each other and have had geek meets or they just have things in common.

As far as the rules go... well the site is huge now and as it has evolved and become salon geek and the growth of the competitions, rules have had to be brought in to deal with these changes, its not regimental its just more structured IYKWIM
Structure and rules are good Jac, no disputing that, but I think some geeks feel that things have become very regimental. In fact I was all for some standardized rules where the comps were concerned and even began a thread about it. However, it seems a certain military style (for want of a better word) has come about on here which has upset and offended some people.

Yes, some geeks do have very close friendships and this is lovely, but these friendships are not necessarily cliques. The cliques exclude or disregard other peeps opinions which leads to feelings of inferiority etc.....

However, it seems a certain military style (for want of a better word) has come about on here which has upset and offended some people.
Why not just come out and say what you really think?

I already know what's been said about me and if that's what you all think then fine...

This thread started off on a negative and unfriendly tone and is serving no purpose at all

It is certainly not stimulating, educational or uplifting.:cry:

Can Lell or one of the mods please close it?

Structure and rules are good Jac, no disputing that, but I think some geeks feel that things have become very regimental. In fact I was all for some standardized rules where the comps were concerned and even began a thread about it. However, it seems a certain military style (for want of a better word) has come about on here which has upset and offended some people.

Yes, some geeks do have very close friendships and this is lovely, but these friendships are not necessarily cliques. The cliques exclude or disregard other peeps opinions which leads to feelings of inferiority etc.....
Tracey, do you ever not have to have the last word, the rules are here, accept them, they aint life threatening.

Why not just come out and say what you really think?

I already know what's been said about me and if that's what you all think then fine...

Sandi this was a constructive thread about the site and how people feel about it :) It was never personal or about one person I am trying to make this a positive thing so that if anyone has a problem they can approach the team about it, if there is a problem between yourself and any member then I dont feel it should be aired on this thread :)

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no...
but I am like this in life in generall lol im a bit ditzy so often open my mouth before i think and then :o
I often read peoples questions and want to answer , but am never 100% sure of myself and wether I am right, so dont want to give people the wrong information.
most of the time, once somebody else posts though it turns out I was right after all :green:

But a lot of times I dont post a question anymore, As I think I should know the answer, or other peeps may think I should know the answer,
thats down to me though not wanting to feel silly !

Yes ! Whenever I personally have posted a question I have recieved the help, and answers I needed, and many people have gone out of their way to do so, even as far as to make me a dvd of them working ,and sent it all the way from new zealand to help me learn how too,
I often send PM's to individuals for help, and get it ! thats wether it be nail problems, PC problems, or LIFE problems.
And personally as I said I have always recieved help, and have been made to feel welcomed into asking questionsagain if i ever need to.

OK , now this is based on my thoughts only and my personal experiences on this site...
I have found it to be very friendly I have made lots of friends , people who I feel very comfortable talking to, there are peeps I have my morning brew with :green:
then a few of us who chat for hours every night,
Then there are my friends I may chat with in a Pm every once in a while.
As a lot of you know, I had a period where I wasnt too well, and so many geeks offered me support and pulled me through it, people I didnt know where so caring i couldnt belive it , I have never come accross anything like that before,
also regarding my business...If it wasnt for some wise words, and lots and lots of help, Id have given up ages ago

these are all my experiennces and my thoughts only .xxx:hug:
good thread lell

This thread started off on a negative and unfriendly tone and is serving no purpose at all

Please:cry:

I have repopened the thread because of the many pm amd pagers I have had saying that it was a constructive thread and good for everyone.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no...
but I am like this in life in generall lol im a bit ditzy so often open my mouth before i think and then :o
I often read peoples questions and want to answer , but am never 100% sure of myself and wether I am right, so dont want to give people the wrong information.
most of the time, once somebody else posts though it turns out I was right after all :green:

But a lot of times I dont post a question anymore, As I think I should know the answer, or other peeps may think I should know the answer,
thats down to me though not wanting to feel silly !

Yes ! Whenever I personally have posted a question I have recieved the help, and answers I needed, and many people have gone out of their way to do so, even as far as to make me a dvd of them working ,and sent it all the way from new zealand to help me learn how too,
I often send PM's to individuals for help, and get it ! thats wether it be nail problems, PC problems, or LIFE problems.
And personally as I said I have always recieved help, and have been made to feel welcomed into asking questionsagain if i ever need to.

OK , now this is based on my thoughts only and my personal experiences on this site...
I have found it to be very friendly I have made lots of friends , people who I feel very comfortable talking to, there are peeps I have my morning brew with :green:
then a few of us who chat for hours every night,
Then there are my friends I may chat with in a Pm every once in a while.
As a lot of you know, I had a period where I wasnt too well, and so many geeks offered me support and pulled me through it, people I didnt know where so caring i couldnt belive it , I have never come accross anything like that before,
also regarding my business...If it wasnt for some wise words, and lots and lots of help, Id have given up ages ago

these are all my experiennces and my thoughts only .xxx:hug:
good thread lell

It is good to know that the site as helped you Emma :)

I have repopened the thread because of the many pm amd pagers I have had saying that it was a constructive thread and good for everyone.
I agree hun ,
after all its every single one of us that makes the site go round, newbies oldies, mods administrtors everybody,
so I feel its important to see how everybody is feeling , or if theres anything that mabey can do with bring changed, by involving the members ,
a bit like market research mabey
xxx

This thread was to find out the needs of all geeks which imo isnt at all negative or unfriendly Chris :)

I do think this is a valuable thread as long as it's not personal (clearly it wasn't intended to be).

Sometimes I feel a bit intimidated simply because I do lack experience. Most geeks are very welcoming. After doing some posting, I stumbled across some threads related to posting rules (I mean beyond the FAQs and posted rules) - realized I had probably annoyed some people! Some geeks are more willing to chat with newbies than others and that is understandable.

Definitely. There are some experienced geeks who are willing to answer anyone's questions and I very much appreciate it. I have read some responses where the people were just shut down or made to feel they were out of line for asking an innocent question - that's too bad but there are so many different personalities in any forum. The positive geeks far surpass the negative ones. It's important not to take things personally - that's when things get nasty!

Very friendly thanks to some experienced geeks who work very hard to take part in posts by geeks ranging from their friends to complete strangers.

thx for the opportunity for newbies to share and valuing how we feel :hug: alex

I agree hun ,
after all its every single one of us that makes the site go round, newbies oldies, mods administrtors everybody,
so I feel its important to see how everybody is feeling , or if theres anything that mabey can do with bring changed, by involving the members ,
a bit like market research mabey
xxx
I agree Emmsy. If we were all the same personality wise, and all agreed with eachother all of the time, then the world would be very dull. Sometimes we don't like what other peeps tell us as they do not like what we tell them, but sometimes certain issues do need to be addressed openly when it involves many people in a community. By finding out other peoples opinions and learning how everybody feels, some issues can be addressed.
This thread was to find out the needs of all geeks which imo isnt at all negative or unfriendly Chris :)
Many geeks perceive unhealthy problems in the site at the moment and I also feel it neither negative or unfreindly to bring these to the fore.

However, I will now refrain from posting on this thread now as I have been accused of always trying to have the last word! I disagree as I feel I was merely verbally active on a thread which I appreciate was posted in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back