A question to all

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Lell for trying to get an overview of peoples opinions, of course not everyone will have the same thoughts and quite rightly, but nice to get a broad view. Valubal in my opinion and I honestly think that this thread was started to try and help and with good intentions. Credit to you for starting it and if the point of the thread is retained then hopefully it will will pay dividends. :hug:

Thanks Lell for trying to get an overview of peoples opinions, of course not everyone will have the same thoughts and quite rightly, but nice to get a broad view. Valubal in my opinion and I honestly think that this thread was started to try and help and with good intentions. Credit to you for starting it and if the point of the thread is retained then hopefully it will will pay dividends. :hug:

I totally agree- everyone has the same interests on here- nails- and its nice that everyone can work together- newbies and oldies- and help each other in whatever way they can.

I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)
So I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are
1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ????
In the beginning no, I was new to nails that I was afraid of looking stupid so I just searched for answers. i think one of my first ever posts about buying products from the USA and I got shot down in flames.Funny how you never forget it or the person who shot you down either. It was a while I think before I plucked up the courage to post again with a question.

2. Do you get the answers you require ??? yes 9 times out of 10. either by searching or posting a thread or logging into MSn and bugging the hell out of a geek on there

3. How friendly do you find the site ??? Like a few other geeks I do find that there are certain geeks that seem to "come down" heavy on others, not always newbies either. I think sometimes some things are taken out of context but it is so very easy to do when you cant see/hear how the other person is saying them. The same sentence could mean 2 completly different things when read or spoken out loud.

On the whole I have made some amazing friends on here, some I have met in person, some I haven't. my MSN buddy list is bulging with gorgeous geeks who I would do anything for at the drop of a hat (except that francesXXX lol, she is smelly, only JOKING)

I'd like to think I am a helpful person with a good SOH, and always ready to help and lend a shoulder to needy geeks.

Just have to add that I let Emmsy read this before I posted it as I wanted to make sure that nothing was going to be able to be taken out of context lmao :lol::lol:

Well done Lelli, I hope some good comes of it for everyone xxxxx

Just have to add that I let Emmsy read this before I posted it as I wanted to make sure that nothing was going to be able to be taken out of context

yes rach did ask me if she could show me something to make sure it sounded ok,
I stopped her mid flow to tell her this ...
about half an hour ago another geek showed me something she had written to make sure it sounded ok before putting it on here,
That confirms to me...without realising it, people are concerned about posting incase it comes across the wrong way ....this is madness,

We all want the same thing here dont we, a cool site where we love to come,

My question is Why was this posted in Nail Geek and not ChitChat?
The site as a whole is not only nails anymore..and this thread does not pertain to Nail geeks only or does it?

My question is Why was this posted in Nail Geek and not ChitChat?
The site as a whole is not only nails anymore..and this thread does not pertain to Nail geeks only or does it?
Maybe it was accidental - it is something I have done more than once. Perhaps as a moderator you should move it.

Have been reading this thread with interest and trying to figure out a reply that sounds intelligant...lol
I can see lell didnt post this thread to stir anything, but personally speaking if i didnt get all i wanted from the site ie help advice, then i wouldnt have been a member scince 2003...like an awful lot of us.
where ever you go in the world you will find cliques and groups which form in the workplace, socially and on here...a clique as some people wish to call it...is a group of like minded people who have more in common with each other more than they do others maybe....a group and i know there are many groups here who are not cliques but get along and are a support to each other...and i find that the best bit about this site, that so many people have found a group of mates and have become a real support to each other......the people who call them cliques to me seem to be the people who maybe feel they are not part of a group and feel on the outside.....
One thing i do have to say is yes there are alot of rules on here...after all there are many thousand of members and thats the way of the civilised world "rules"...but i have also seen a handful of peeps in here who purposely set out to push and to question the rules and the moderators of the rules...to see if they will bite.....this is more noticable i think than people feeling they arent treated very nice on here....and that is one thing that i have seen of late that is quite upsetting.....i dont know if its out of jealousey because maybe some people think they have a right to be moderators and are jealous of the ones we have.....but yes i do see some members on here being just a bit bitter and snipey reguarding the rules and the rule makers...maybe we should have geek asbo's pmsl.

sorry lell probaly posted nothing to do with the original thread lol :hug:

Okay grab a coffee and a packet of biccies cos this is a long one!!!! Firstly here is a reply I gave about the way i see the site with all its different personalities, and goups of friends (clique is so the wrong word with it's connotations of aloofness which I think I have never had the privilege of experiencing on this site in my whole time here! :hug:)

I always think the geek site is like a huge party!

You get the real party goers who just get on and have a ball, throw their handbags on the floor and have a good bop around them and don't care how daft or daring they look :green: (okay okay I'm really showing my age at that handbag comment!!).

Then you get those who need a helping hand all the way, they can't even go to the loo on their own. :hug:

Then you get those that sit at the edge like wallflowers, so wanting to join in but don't quite have the bottle to get up. Then suddenly their fave song comes on and awaaaay they go!!! :Grope:

Then you have the party poopers, those who do nothing but moan and pick fault and are never happy unless they are being negative and making sure everyone feels as bitter as them. :irked:

Then you have the gatecrashers ... they get banned!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I fall in the raving handbag boppers brigade, although sometimes I'm happy to be a wallflower, take a breather and let somebody else jump in and have fun!

Now having read through the answers given on this thread which was aimed at newbies, I have counted that 15 newbies have replied. Some are party goers and have just got on the dance floor and bopped to their hearts content. A few are still wallflowers, just a little scared to get on in there. BUT NOT ONE, I repeat NOT ONE has found the site UNfriendly. In fact of those 15, ten have said that the site is VERY friendly, and the other five said the site was friendly but have felt a little awkward with a few of the forthright replies that go on here from time to time - we have some strong characters on here so that ain't ever gonna change I'm afraid. So obviously, from the statistics so far, we are giving our newcomers the warm welcome they deserve and helping them to grow in their professional careers which I think is just fab and their positive vibe is something that needs to rub off on some of us old timers!

So if there is not a problem with the newcomers, who are all welcome, then I feel that the problem is with some of the older members of the site. And that word regimental keeps cropping up. Well now, Sam developed the commandments so that people knew how to behave on the site and give guidance to us all. If that has made the site regimented then i suggest you take it up with him, they are his rules!!! As for there being one rule for one and one for others, well yes that is true. In fact I can clearly state that someone who has posted in this thread would have had a post deleted just the other day if it was anyone else other than her!!! We have to make judgement calls all the time! Heck you know what we get it wrong sometimes, but we try our best. If it isn't good enough, trust me right now we'd gladly hand over the baton to some of the wannabe mods and you'll soon realise how hard some of those judgement calls can be.

As for the clique comments, well now come on! When has anyone joined in a thread and been told they can't come on because they aren't part of the gang? Erm i think the answer to that one is NEVER! No one is ever excluded unless they exclude themselves. Me, I get out of this site what I put in. I have many close friends (and I mean close) that I contact off site too, but I welcome newbies and oldies alike. I'll chat to anyone. in fact I tried desperately to instill a bit of fun on the site the other night and I felt like a clown at a funeral! And that is what I think is missing, THE FUN!

I have been away for 2 months and I have never known it take so long for threads to be answered. Threads that newbies post and I see "gangs" of the oldies online who just never bother to reply. Just the same old few really care enough to make a difference and post again and again to the same old questions.

So i don't think the newbies have a real problem at all, I just think a few people find it hard to come to terms with change. As Sam always says, lead by example, so if the few people that have replied on here that do have a big problem with the site and the way it is run, come on you know the moderator team well enough. If you have a problem then you know we are approachable. we can't always wave our magic wand and do what you ask, but we will try our damndest to do so. But I ask you to lead the way with positivity and guidance, and help us all.

I am in such a positive place right now, but last night I was tempted to leave this place due to a very negative thread. i can see why people leave, not because of any rules, but the amount of negativity that oozes from some peeps keyboards.

Now I hope I have kept that constructive, and I apologise for its longevity. Please can we just bring the fun and the zing back, because that is what is missing. jeez I'll even laugh at a crisp thread at the moment! Sod it I'll even reply to it!

geek on!

yes rach did ask me if she could show me something to make sure it sounded ok,
I stopped her mid flow to tell her this ...
about half an hour ago another geek showed me something she had written to make sure it sounded ok before putting it on here,
That confirms to me...without realising it, people are concerned about posting incase it comes across the wrong way ....this is madness,

We all want the same thing here dont we, a cool site where we love to come,

Emma hun I don't think it is madness, I think it is actually good sense and shows that people are caring enough not to unwittingly upset someone by using the wrong word. I actually applaud someone who takes the trouble to do this and think it is very professional. I wish more people would take such an effort, it would save a lot of bother and upset for everyone that's for sure!

Sass all I can say is how much I have missed your level headiness - thank you for your reply and I truly hope peeps take a step back and digest everything you have said along with their coffee and biscuits :hug:

I love my geeky family :green:

Okay grab a coffee and a packet of biccies cos this is a long one!!!! Firstly here is a reply I gave about the way i see the site with all its different personalities, and goups of friends (clique is so the wrong word with it's connotations of aloofness which I think I have never had the privilege of experiencing on this site in my whole time here! :hug:)

I always think the geek site is like a huge party!

You get the real party goers who just get on and have a ball, throw their handbags on the floor and have a good bop around them and don't care how daft or daring they look :green: (okay okay I'm really showing my age at that handbag comment!!).

Then you get those who need a helping hand all the way, they can't even go to the loo on their own. :hug:

Then you get those that sit at the edge like wallflowers, so wanting to join in but don't quite have the bottle to get up. Then suddenly their fave song comes on and awaaaay they go!!! :Grope:

Then you have the party poopers, those who do nothing but moan and pick fault and are never happy unless they are being negative and making sure everyone feels as bitter as them. :irked:

Then you have the gatecrashers ... they get banned!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I fall in the raving handbag boppers brigade, although sometimes I'm happy to be a wallflower, take a breather and let somebody else jump in and have fun!

Now having read through the answers given on this thread which was aimed at newbies, I have counted that 15 newbies have replied. Some are party goers and have just got on the dance floor and bopped to their hearts content. A few are still wallflowers, just a little scared to get on in there. BUT NOT ONE, I repeat NOT ONE has found the site UNfriendly. In fact of those 15, ten have said that the site is VERY friendly, and the other five said the site was friendly but have felt a little awkward with a few of the forthright replies that go on here from time to time - we have some strong characters on here so that ain't ever gonna change I'm afraid. So obviously, from the statistics so far, we are giving our newcomers the warm welcome they deserve and helping them to grow in their professional careers which I think is just fab and their positive vibe is something that needs to rub off on some of us old timers!

So if there is not a problem with the newcomers, who are all welcome, then I feel that the problem is with some of the older members of the site. And that word regimental keeps cropping up. Well now, Sam developed the commandments so that people knew how to behave on the site and give guidance to us all. If that has made the site regimented then i suggest you take it up with him, they are his rules!!! As for there being one rule for one and one for others, well yes that is true. In fact I can clearly state that someone who has posted in this thread would have had a post deleted just the other day if it was anyone else other than her!!! We have to make judgement calls all the time! Heck you know what we get it wrong sometimes, but we try our best. If it isn't good enough, trust me right now we'd gladly hand over the baton to some of the wannabe mods and you'll soon realise how hard some of those judgement calls can be.

As for the clique comments, well now come on! When has anyone joined in a thread and been told they can't come on because they aren't part of the gang? Erm i think the answer to that one is NEVER! No one is ever excluded unless they exclude themselves. Me, I get out of this site what I put in. I have many close friends (and I mean close) that I contact off site too, but I welcome newbies and oldies alike. I'll chat to anyone. in fact I tried desperately to instill a bit of fun on the site the other night and I felt like a clown at a funeral! And that is what I think is missing, THE FUN!

I have been away for 2 months and I have never known it take so long for threads to be answered. Threads that newbies post and I see "gangs" of the oldies online who just never bother to reply. Just the same old few.

So i don't think the newbies have a real problem at all, I just think a few people find it hard to come to terms with change. As Sam always says, lead by example, so if the few people that have replied on here that do have a big problem with the site and the way it is run, come on you know the moderator team well enough. If you have a problem then you know we are approachable. we can't always wave our magic wand and do what you ask, but we will try our damndest to do so. But I ask you to lead the way with positivity and guidance, and help us all.

I am in such a positive place right now, but last night I was tempted to leave this place due to a very negative thread. i can see why people leave, not because of any rules, but the amount of negativity that oozes from some peeps keyboards.

Now I hope I have kept that constructive, and I apologise for its longevity. Please can we just bring the fun and the zing back, because that is what is missing. jeez I'll even laugh at a crisp thread at the moment! Sod it I'll even reply to it!

geek on!

Here here Sassy........No wonder so many people missed you while you were moving.
This is (IMHO) the most constructive, sensible reply on this thread so far.:hug:

Me, I'm a "newbie" and a "wallflower" (just waiting for my fave song to get me going!!) lol
and I LOVE this site.

Here here Sassy........No wonder so many people missed you while you were moving.
This is (IMHO) the most constructive, sensible reply on this thread so far.:hug:

Me, I'm a "newbie" and a "wallflower" (just waiting for my fave song to get me going!!) lol
and I LOVE this site.

Whatever you do, don't for goodness sakes play LOVE SHACK, my god I'll embarass myself and be banned from the site. Lovely to see you posting Vanessa, come on they're playing your song!

Well said, Sass!! I couldn't agree more.

Speaking personally, as a geek who's only been around for a few months, I've never noticed any cliques on here. Yes there are geeks who obviously know each other well and chat like old friends, but so what? Why shouldn't they?

I've never had anything but help from people here. If I want an answer to a question that I think may be stupid, and I don't want to put it in a thread, I can pm someone who may know the answer. I have to say, though, I don't have a problem with any questions asked. Even if they may seem a bit stupid to some, how else is the person asking going to find out the answer? Cut them some slack!! We all have to start somewhere and learn somehow, and what better way than to ask for help from more experienced people?

If we all have a bit of respect for other people's feelings, then half of these issues wouldn't arise in the first place!

Disclaimer :)lol:): This comment is NOT aimed at ANYONE in particular, just a general observation of what I have seen and experienced.

May you all have many happy hours of geeking. :hug:

Whatever you do, don't for goodness sakes play LOVE SHACK, my god I'll embarass myself and be banned from the site. Lovely to see you posting Vanessa, come on they're playing your song!

Oh my god LOVE SHACK.....the memories that brings back....now I really feel old!!!!

P.S. My names Venita....:hug:

P.S. My names Venita....:hug:

OOps sorry, what a mistaker to maker :o Okay I blame a long day at the salon and I've still had no lunch and it's 33 degrees here, and I'm hot and tired .... and .... okay, that's what you get for not reading properly. What a dork I am :smack:!!!!

OOps sorry, what a mistaker to maker :o Okay I blame a long day at the salon and I've still had no lunch and it's 33 degrees here, and I'm hot and tired .... and .... okay, that's what you get for not reading properly. What a dork I am :smack:!!!!

Dorks of the world unite YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY:lol::lol::lol:

And a big thanks for reminding us here in the UK that we DONT HAVE A SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a big thanks for reminding us here in the UK that we DONT HAVE A SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A geeks gotta do what a geeks gotta do! :rolleyes::lol:

Perhaps as a moderator you should move it.
do you think it will come back on me as "policing"?:eek: Will peeps here view it as military regiment?
:D Sorry for the sarcasm..just my humor in it all.

:lol::lol::lol: It's 30+ here too, so I know how you feel......sorry to all of you in the UK don't mean to rub it in!!:green:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back