A question to all

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)
So I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are
1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ????
2. Do you get the answers you require ???
3. How friendly do you find the site ???

1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ???? At first I was slightly nervous about posting/ replying to posts incase I said anything wrong (But that's me as a person aswell- I'm quite shy around new people!!!)
2. Do you get the answers you require ??? Yes, I think that I have learnt so much more on here by posting and searching old posts- they definately do help.
3. How friendly do you find the site ??? Very friendly- and I think its great that everyone helps everyone else out aswell.

I am now addicted to this site :)

I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)

1. When i first joined i would hesitate about asking certain questions in the fear of sounding daft or that i should already know certain things as i am already a qualified Nail tech/beauty therapist. But now no matter what the question, i just ask it now as im continually learning throughout my career and know there will be things im still unsure of.

2. Yes i do get the answers I require and helpful hints and tips on how to tweak things. Its all about putting those tips into practice, so trial and error with different things help me to continue to learn and get things right.

3. Very friendly! Ive looked back on almost all of the threads to find different things and everyone seems friendly and informative. Thanks guys :hug:

1) only on chit chat mostly now, ive asked what i thought to be relevant questions and been made to feel 'stupid' for asking, so if i cant find answer by searchin i either forget it , or ask a geek i know will help me, by pm'ing or msn'ing

2) usually i can find it by searching, but sometimes i read the replies and feel like im being made to feel inferior, i dont even read the rest of the replies and go away feeling hurt for few days lol

3)the site used to be mega friendly when i first joined, then i clicked that certain people, are nice to certain others and dont seem to tolerate newbies, and i learnt to avoid them or ignore their replies, and i now try and stick to the geeks that i know to be unbaised, fair and nice to all

but all in all, i have to say, i still love coming on here, i try to learn something every day which by searching old threads , i can nearly always do

great thread lell xxxxx

I'm still a relative newbie so I guess that I'm at least qualified to answer this one!! :green:

1.I think so. If I have a question I want to ask but I think I'll sound stupid :rolleyes: I tend to sit on it for a few days before finally posting it and I then find others normally reply saying 'Yeah, I was wondering that too!!':lol:

2.Yes. A few replies will occasionally misunderstand the gist of my post, but that will be down to my poor wording, not them. So yes - I always end up with the advice I needed.

3.On the whole I would say very friendly. But to be totally honest I have become aware of a few members who I wouldn't like to get into a debate with! :Scared: I don't always like the tone that some new members are 'spoken' to at times either.
BUT, having said that I have never had a problem personally with any members and have always felt very welcomed by all geeks.:hug:

1) only on chit chat mostly now, ive asked what i thought to be relevant questions and been made to feel 'stupid' for asking, so if i cant find answer by searchin i either forget it , or ask a geek i know will help me, by pm'ing or msn'ing

2) usually i can find it by searching, but sometimes i read the replies and feel like im being made to feel inferior, i dont even read the rest of the replies and go away feeling hurt for few days lol

3)the site used to be mega friendly when i first joined, then i clicked that certain people, are nice to certain others and dont seem to tolerate newbies, and i learnt to avoid them or ignore their replies, and i now try and stick to the geeks that i know to be unbaised, fair and nice to all

but all in all, i have to say, i still love coming on here, i try to learn something every day which by searching old threads , i can nearly always do

great thread lell xxxxx

I totally second the above. Sometime's I'll read a thread where someone has requested some help and have been totally shot down, sometimes for their 'inadequecy' as a tech and sometimes not for their question at all but the way they have worded something (maybe its not quite PC) :irked:. A gentle reminder that the newbie's are just that - and we look to the more experienced tech because of their knowledge not made to feel inferior/inadequate or plain stupid.:rolleyes: Having said that there are many talented and helpful geeks on this site that are confident in their knowledge and are always there to help. It is truly a brilliant site and has helped me no end. Esp tutorials- they're great!:hug:

To be honest as a relatively new tech myself I don't feel I am qualified enough to answer questions and I don't really post many questions as I do a search instead and normally get mostly what I am looking for. I do think some replies are a bit snappy sometimes.

I think one of the problems may be that so much of the information and answers to questions have been answered before that when newbies post questions a lot of the time they are just told to do a search as it has been covered before.

I can understand when people ask about the big topics like training etc that they should search but for some things perhaps it should just all be answered again as new people are around and everyone has a different point of view or opinion ???

great thread lell xxxxx

Nicky I am sorry you have felt this way about the site but remember that it is a very big site and their are lots of very very nice people on here :hug:

The positive thing about this thread is that everyone can see what you think about the site we can see what needs to improve and the best of all is that you are posting which is what we all want to see :)

I think as with everything its important to be yourself.. I dont like to feel inferior in anything i do.. i have always been one to jump in straight away so NO, i dont feel inferior.. BUT THAT SAID.. I often speak/type without thinking so perhaps i should apologise in advance..
well, no not really but when do you ever in life??.. but im sure i get the answers that the responder feels they can give.. whats important to me may not be as important to others.. any and all replys are valuable and taken into consideration..and very much appreciated!! besides this site is choc-block FULL of info.. who couldnt find what they needed?? ((well me untill i read about advanced search!))
3. How friendly do you find the site ??? No complaints at all.. very helpfull, and i have already struck up a few valuable contacts.. its amazing how generous people are with their expertise.. I havnt been doing this that long and most of what i have learnt has been through practise, but the tips on here are AMAZING.. and it wasnt untill i got here i realised how much more i have to learn.. and that is soo exciting!! I was going through a "is this really what i want to do" stage.. being so isolated here.. its just nice to see that even the most experianced of you have your moments!
Thanks for asking mate!:hug:

1. I wouldn't say I have sometimes been left feeling inferior, but rather 'disregarded'. I do not allow people to make me feel inferior, but there have been times when peeps have totally disregarded my thoughts, opinions, queries, feelings etc..... We can't please all the people all of the time, and this is a huge site, but sometimes it is obvious that one is simply discounted.

When Neg reps were up and running, I did post for fear of being negged simply because somebody had it in for me. I feel more able to post freely now knowing that it is only the mods who can neg.

2. I mostly get the answers I require although sometimes not in one go which is fine. Sometimes the info dribbles out but at least I get it eventually. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and I don't know where I would be without it, so thank you geeks for being willing to share!

3. As in any community, you will have bunches of friends who know eachother both personally and on line. Most of my mates here are online although I feel as if I know them personally:hug:.

However, I do find certain groups quite clicky and they stick together no matter what! If you feel the need to challenge or question, or perhaps 'cross a certain line' you are deemed a 'trouble maker' or 'childish'.

It is my opinion that geek A can do or say something which is overlooked, but if geek Z does or says the same or similar thing, then they are told they are breaking geek rules and it is considered in bad light. The rules should be the same for everybody.

I feel that things have changed on the site especially over the past six months or so. I know I am not alone in my thoughts on this, but the changes have made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Just my opinion though which I hope I have managed to put over constructively.

there are lovely people on this site and its not very often i read a reply that makes me think "wow that was rude !!"....its not the people on here but all the you must and must not that i think has changed it....we all go on about how it used to be and all these regimental rules where not around then...???

its sad to hear some of these replies...

there are lovely people on this site and its not very often i read a reply that makes me think "wow that was rude !!"....its not the people on here but all the you must and must not that i think has changed it....we all go on about how it used to be and all these regimental rules where not around then...???

its sad to hear some of these replies...
I think you have hit the nail on the head Angie. I didn't quite know how to word it but the word 'regimental' seems to sum it up. Rules, rules and regulations! It has taken some of the spontaneity out of much of the fun IMO.

However, I do find certain groups quite clicky and they stick together no matter what! If you feel the need to challenge or question, or perhaps 'cross a certain line' you are deemed a 'trouble maker' or 'childish'.

It is my opinion that geek A can do or say something which is overlooked, but if geek Z does or says the same or similar thing, then they are told they are breaking geek rules and it is considered in bad light. The rules should be the same for everybody.

Agree agree agree with this point!

1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ???? To be honest I generally search rather ask questions as I am 'new' too this industry most things have been asked. On the rare occasion I do ask I have always been happy with the answers.
2. Do you get the answers you require ??? Yeah or pointed in the right direction!
3. How friendly do you find the site ??? Fairly friendly, I have been invited out too meets and things. However as I have quoted I do find certian groups very clicky

Hi there,
1 I definately feel that I can post without feeling inferior, I think that there are so many people on here with so much experience, they have a lot of good advice to offer to us less experienced techs. I have learnt a lot from reading and posting threads and also from the tutorials and pics that are on here.

2 Yes, I always have recieved good advice to questions I have asked.

3 Very, I felt a bit nervous when I first started posting but everyone is very welcoming and however daft I think my questions are I always find a lot of support on here.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say thanks to everyone, I don't actually post very often on here but am on a couple of times a day having a read and searching around!!! When I do post a question I have always recieved answers and advice and it has helped me a lot!:green:
Linds xx

Yea i have to say that reading some of the replies im wondering what im missing.. I havnt come across any clicks or rudeness yet.. but then maybe im not looking? I didnt join this site to be liked or make friends.. I have many real friends and loads of cyber friends on myspace LOL!! if people like me Yay, but more often then not i rub people up the wrong way.. a little habit i have of speaking my mind!! Plus.. after High School i vowed to never be part of a click again.. hurts too much to be thrown out!

In all seriousness.. who cares if your liked or not.. or if someone is rude to you in a thread.. at the end of the day the stuff i have learned here and the new way im looking at myself and my chosen field of work is invaluable!! I am actually starting to take MYSELF seriously and thats down to this place.. walking away from training i thought i could do this job well.. then i fell flat and had no-where to turn.. then i was put on to this place.. and well for that alone im so very thankfull.. My boyfriend said to me that i am becoming obsessed.. babe i said.. You aint seen nothing yet.. Im buying an AIRBRUSH and taking a course!! ((yup he groaned.. Im a course junkie!))

I think the main problem as with any other forum or message board is that people can't see your face, read your body language, hear your tone of voice or understand that the poster isn't necessary as articulate as some other members. THEN I get fed up, because people start to get for the want of a better word 'shirty' about what they did and didn't mean. People don't always read what you thought you had written.

I don't feel inferior when I post, I just feel inept sometimes, but that is because I am inexperienced, not because anyone else has said anything to cause it. Usually get the answers required. Some members are really friendly.

1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ???? Yes and no. As I have only recently started doing gel nails, I do have some questions about things that I'm not sure about but feel that perhaps I SHOULD know. I am very careful with the amount of questions I post and also how I word it. Sometimes, I will contact certain Geek members who I know can help me and just PM them instead of posting a question. Other times, for example when it comes to hair questions, I will post in all my ignorance to get an answer to my question as I have no experience in hair and don't feel that someone would look at me and think I'm "stupid" or judge me on the basis of my question.

2. Do you get the answers you require ??? Mostly yes, and most geeks are very friendly and helpful. I will also do a search to try and find the answer if possible before I post, but the search facility can sometimes be a bit temperamental !

It varies. Sometimes the site can be friendly as a whole, sometimes it can be quite nasty. There are certain Geeks that you can always count on and there are certain Geeks that I just try to avoid. I think the "feeling" of the site has changed a lot and I don't think it's as friendly and "easy going" as it used to be. There are lots of rules that we need to adhere to and they are constantly shoved down our throats. I understand rules are necessary, but it can be a bit OTT sometimes and make you feel that you are actually part of a Army camp rather than a nail site.

I feel that things have changed on the site especially over the past six months or so. I know I am not alone in my thoughts on this, but the changes have made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Just my opinion though which I hope I have managed to put over constructively.

Unfortunately, I also agree with the above statement.

Sometimes the above happens in a very subtle way and it might not always be glaringly obvious, but it certainly does happen.

There are definitely certain cliques about and they can make you feel very uncomfortable and not "welcome" in their circle.

Marlise

Yea i have to say that reading some of the replies im wondering what im missing.. I havnt come across any clicks or rudeness yet.. but then maybe im not looking? I didnt join this site to be liked or make friends.. I have many real friends and loads of cyber friends on myspace LOL!! if people like me Yay, but more often then not i rub people up the wrong way.. a little habit i have of speaking my mind!! Plus.. after High School i vowed to never be part of a click again.. hurts too much to be thrown out!

In all seriousness.. who cares if your liked or not.. or if someone is rude to you in a thread.. at the end of the day the stuff i have learned here and the new way im looking at myself and my chosen field of work is invaluable!! I am actually starting to take MYSELF seriously and thats down to this place.. walking away from training i thought i could do this job well.. then i fell flat and had no-where to turn.. then i was put on to this place.. and well for that alone im so very thankfull.. My boyfriend said to me that i am becoming obsessed.. babe i said.. You aint seen nothing yet.. Im buying an AIRBRUSH and taking a course!! ((yup he groaned.. Im a course junkie!))
After joining recently and with 34 posts, it is perhaps because you haven't been on the site long enough to notice any rudeness, lol :lol:.

I don't think most geek go looking to be liked or popular on here. But this site is a community of people and as with any community being accepted and treated as an equal is a valuable and important part of life IMO.

And as for becoming obsessed? Yes, this site is addictive like a drug and your boyfriend had better get used to you becoming a geek junkie, lol :wink2:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back