A re-introduction, and career dilemmas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mme_antoinette

Reaction score
Hello,

I was on these forums last year, with a different username - I just wanted to re-introduce myself first off: I'm Sam, 25 years old. I'm originally from Manchester UK, but living in Warwickshire currently.

And now for the career dilemmas...

I've worked in admin, in varying roles such as secretary and PA, for six years. Last year, while unemployed, I decided to take a short course for Beauty Therapy NVQ2 in London. There were five modules set over separate two-day intervals, and home revision/case studies. I was really excited and motivated about it at first.

I enjoyed the course, but I found the case studies very difficult as the number of examples I had to do and photograph were very demanding. I enlisted friends to help me, but they weren't very reliable and I was not getting enough practice at home, though I was doing well on my revision.

At the time I was also applying for admin jobs to make ends meet. I finally got a job in January last year, on a maternity contract. I planned to just use annual leave to go to London and finish my course/do exams, but my new job made things hard - I was too busy to revise and I became much less confident about my abilities as a beauty therapist because I had no chance to practice my skills. I didn't attend the last module of my course (I called to cancel) and chose not to go through to the exam stage.

Now my maternity contract is over, I'm looking for another admin job, but I'm also wishing I had tried harder to make things work with the beauty therapy. The thing is, the short course was NOT good for me at all - I need education to be more structured, and I am not motivated enough to discipline myself at home, particularly if I have a full-time job.

I was in my local beauty salon the other day getting my brows done, and I suddenly missed doing beauty therapy. The only way I could go back to it, is to go to college for a year. The problem is that my husband can support us, but only just, and I wouldn't want to burden him with all our expenses for a year. I thought of compromising, and trying hairdressing instead, so I could get an apprenticeship. But I tried last year, and because of my age, no hairdressing salon would take me on.

So I'm not quite sure what to do.
1. Go to college this September and be without income for a year, making my husband miserable!
2. Try and get a hairdressing apprenticeship?
3. Forget either and just get another admin position?

There aren't any evening or weekend courses in our neck of the woods unfortunately, that was the other thing I would have considered. I also can't take the London course again as it was expensive, plus I would need places to stay and travel money as well.

I think I just need some encouragement or advice. I'm also worried that I don't have what it takes to do beauty therapy. I wasn't very good in the practical sessions (we had two days for practicals for each module) and didn't seem to have a natural knack for it, so maybe I'm just kidding myself?

Sorry this is so long and disjointed... I just needed to vent where people might understand!

xx

If you are unemployed you could try your local training centre/social welfare office to see if there run any funded courses. I'm not sure if there are any in the UK, but here in Ireland, the state run training body called Fas, allows you to keep your benifits if you do one of their courses, (the have beauty therapy courses) its not much money, but at least you will be getting some money while you are studying. If you are already qualified and want to get experience why don't you look for "therapy swop" websites or put an ad on gumtree seeing if there is other therapist in the same situation as you and trade treatments? In these times bartering is coming back!

Welcome back :hug:

I really don't think doing hairdressing as a 'compromise' is a good idea. You have to WANT to do it or it will end up just like an admin job, wishing you were doing beauty.

You have some experience in the beauty world so stay with that. Wait a while, save some money and get properly trained.

doing what you want is worth waiting for, it took me 40 years lol

Well you have several choices but I think you need to give beauty a shot otherwise it sounds like you will never know and always wonder what if..... Why not learn something like lashes and do it around an admin job until you get the money to do a longer more structured beauty course? This will give you a chance to see if it is the career you want. :hug:

Hi, I've come out of education a few years ago- now currently in admin too :(- however I would recommend looking for a college which is full time because it gives you a chance to really get involved. A lot of colleges now are full time but actually you attend three times a week...Which could allow you to continue working it would just mean finding something to fit around your days (perhaps even at your current job) I wish when I was at college I spent a few days in a salon because now its very hard to get a position without experience (then of course you can't get any without work, bit of a tiresome circle)
Hope everyting works out for you. you should do what you love!

I am also in office work and started doing part time college courses in the evening. I have also done day courses at salon suppliers and an indivdual tutors that are accredited and advertised on the beauty guild website.
My problem is having the confidence to go mobile due to not having experience and only getting practice on family.
I was thinking of doing another course but my local college will charge full price and they are not very helpful.
Now I'm looking for weekend or day courses in my local area which isn't easy so far, I'm near Luton Bedfordshire.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
:grr:

I fully understand what you are saying! I am also in admin work and I am planning to fit in courses as and when I can but it is just so expensive!

I have always wanted to get into beauty since school but I have never got round to it. I am 25 too and the desire is just as strong, so I am determined to go ahead with the courses.

My income is the only money that I have coming in so I don't have the option of giving up work for a year so day courses are the only option for me.

If you husband can just about support you both, would it be possible for you to go back to college full time but take on a part time job at the same time? Maybe a couple of evenings per week and one day of the weekend, which would allow you time to study at home, whilst giving your income a slight boost.

Maybe figure out if you can both afford to have a bit of a tight year financially with the aim of you becoming a fully trained therapist which will ultimatley be profitable.

If beauty therapy is something that you enjoy and miss then I say don't give up...don't be put off by the past and look to the futre. Remember, practise makes perfect!!

Good luck Hun and I hope this helps x

Hi, I am new to this site and thought I would join as I am about to start a beauty therapy course (NVQ level 2) next month.

I currently work in admin, having done beauty therapy many years ago and not completing the final unit as I had work commitments etc, I have also done a hairdressing course (NVQ 2) however found as I was of a mature disposition it was hard to get into, having said that I did get into a salon only to fall pregnant a few months later!!!! So I know how you feel!

You should not give up the beauty training. I think hairdressing now would be a long term commitment and it is very difficult to reach a standard to be mobile if you have not got salon experience.

Personally I don't think you have to have a knack with beauty therapy, it's just a case of practise makes perfect.

As per another thread, if your husband is on less than £15,200 (approximately) then you can get a tution concession, as you would be in receipt of tax credits on this salary. You can also get funding on some part-time courses, not private colleges however, you would need to contact your further education college to ascertain this. You can do this for level 3 as well.

There is also a loan you can apply for, it helps you pay for the course and then you pay back the amount two months after you start work, I think it does charge interest but not sure what the rate is, you can visit the government website to check it out.

It is sometimes difficult juggling work and studying. I am at college at the moment 3 days a week, hoping to start my level 2 next month, which is every Monday night, work at the weekends and have two children, one is 3! But I am determined to do it and as quickly as possible.

Don't give up, I'm sure if you can practise then you would be fine and have confidence in yourself.

Latest posts

Back