A Shellac idea? Will someone try it please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
After a fantastic weekend at The Event (it was great to meet all you Geeks:D) I had a thought while I was driving to a studio (very early) this morning.

When I need to put 'nails' on a model for a shoot I always do a version of 'week end' nails i.e. apply and blend tips to they look like they grew there then put a thin layer of resin over to give them a tiny bit of strength. These look great even if they need to be 'natural' and will last a couple of days if careful the come off very quickly with acetone.

I wonder if Shellac base and top (for natural) would work instead of the resin?? This would actually be quicker (as no buffing after resin) and come off just as quick. I haven't got time to try it out so if someone wants to give it a go and let me know if it works well??? The thing to look out for is a tiny line that may lift where the tip is blended. This happens without the resin due to the solvents in polish. I know there are solvents in Shellac but they may evaporate too quick to affect the tip in this way.

If it does work it could be yet another cool way to use Shellac!!

Thanks in anticipation ;)

Sorry hun... no help for you, I am not into Shellac yet, but isn't it great that within a day there are shellac how to threads on here! Just shows how us geeks get excited x x

I'll do it!!

I'm just soaking Shellac off one of my nails now and will give it a whirl as soon as it's off.....

back in a bit to let you know how it goes........... ;)

OK I'm back!!

It looks great.. feels lovely and strong and I just love the shine that you get from Shellac.

I have very very weak nails, so I'm a good guinea pig... I'll wear it until it breaks and get back to you:D

Thanks Karen!!! That was quick! No little line appearing? It could make my job so much easier!!

Sorry I forgot to say... no little line at all

I know that's what they had to do too one of Kay Penningtons (sweet squared) this weekend, it felt fine, looked ok and she had smoochie on it too!

sounds good i wait in anticipation :D

Day three and my sample occasional nail still looks fab... no sign of any cracking ... I think I'll get another few days out of it.

Fantastic! I will definitely use this from now on!

I hope some Geeks are reading and taking note!!!:D

Thanks for your help xx

Fantastic! I will definitely use this from now on!

I hope some Geeks are reading and taking note!!!:D

Thanks for your help xx

I'm thrilled I tried it now and to be honest, I didn't think it would last five minutes as I have very weak nails and it's only a layer of Shellac base and a layer of Shellac top coat, but it's amazing how strong it is and of course it's so glossy which is great.

I usually find occasional nails a bit of a pain.... not anymore :D

Wow that's fab news.. can't wait till we get shellac over here!!

I'll do it!!

I'm just soaking Shellac off one of my nails now and will give it a whirl as soon as it's off.....

back in a bit to let you know how it goes........... ;)

Hiya

sorry if being a bit dim but could you explain exactly what you did please Angel?

I have just ordered the top coat to be used instead of my brisa top coat on L&P when not buffing to a shine. Brisa top coat can sometimes be a little thick ontop off L&P however I believe shellac top coat is of a thinner viscosity.

Ohhh cant wait. And I am deffo loving the idea of using on weekend nails. Do you think that I could just use top coat and ommit the base coat? Also when I am going to purchase some off the colours what do you guys think would be best colours to stock? I already have clients wanting shellac for their holidays. :)

Hiya

sorry if being a bit dim but could you explain exactly what you did please Angel?

I applied a tip to my nail and blended and shaped (I used a tip with no well)

Then, just a layer of Shellac base and cured and a layer of Shellac top coat and cured and bingoi, a gorgeous natural nail that will be perfect for any weekend ... mine actually lasted 6 days and then I went to Tescos.. (the ultimate test:D)

It was broken when I came home.... but if you have a client that wants weekend nails this is the perfect solution.

I have just ordered the top coat to be used instead of my brisa top coat on L&P when not buffing to a shine. Brisa top coat can sometimes be a little thick ontop off L&P however I believe shellac top coat is of a thinner viscosity.

Ohhh cant wait. And I am deffo loving the idea of using on weekend nails. Do you think that I could just use top coat and ommit the base coat? Also when I am going to purchase some off the colours what do you guys think would be best colours to stock? I already have clients wanting shellac for their holidays. :)

Hun if I am not mistaken it is not suitable to be used over L&P or Brisa it was asked at the Event and we were told that it was only suitable for use over Shellac.

I'm sure someone will have a better explanation why :hug:

I applied a tip to my nail and blended and shaped (I used a tip with no well)

Then, just a layer of Shellac base and cured and a layer of Shellac top coat and cured and bingoi, a gorgeous natural nail that will be perfect for any weekend ... mine actually lasted 6 days and then I went to Tescos.. (the ultimate test:D)

It was broken when I came home.... but if you have a client that wants weekend nails this is the perfect solution.

did you use a white tip and leave the nail clear so they looked frnch pol?
I'm getting shellac on monday!"!! which colours are the best? x

did you use a white tip and leave the nail clear so they looked frnch pol?
I'm getting shellac on monday!"!! which colours are the best? x

No I used a natural tip... If I was doing it for a client, I'd probably use a white tip and finish with a layer of negligee to tone down the white tip a little.

Anyway, you're getting Shellaced??? oooh I dunno, I love them all and it depends what humour I'm in as to which colour I go for.

wow i want shellac now just so i can do this, Sick of doing my own l&ps!!!

That is a brillliant idea - has anyone else tried this?
If not, I volunteer to do so as soon as my kit arrives (should be early next wk)!! :D

Latest posts

Back