A Spray Tanning Chill Pill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spray 2 Go

Independent Geek!
Reaction score
Having been watching this board over the few weeks, it is getting to be a place which seems to be going away from the normal helpful and friendly world of the Salon Geek.

Spray tanning advice and information is being sought by new and current members all the time as more people want to add it to the list of treatments they can offer their clients.

I don't know about anyone else here but it seems that the Geek is currently being used as a way of directly advertising and promoting companies in and pushy and unprofessional manner.

I hold my hand up and admit that it has been very good for Tantrick over the past two years that I have been a member here, and I feel that over this time I have helped many people with plenty of advice and information about spray tanning. I do not use this site to "activley sell" anything, although I will give advice or information about Tanrick products if I am asked and will also respond to PM's with info.

I am hearing of people being pm'd with direct sales information, sometimes this being very unfair and unprofessional and and do not feel this is a good way for this site to be used. It is also being visited by sales and marketing professionals who have no interest here other than to sell their clients products.

It is getting very silly at times and is reminding me of many years ago when I was a teenager in school!

Lets all chill out and remember what this board is all about - sharing helpful information amongst ourselves and helping one another!

Cheers Geeks

Mandy x

Yep, it does happen, and back-door advertising doesn't just happen in the spray tanning sector of the Geek site, it's rife in every sector....it's naughty and anyone receiving PMs like this should report them......since when did I decome a Mod lol!!!

That is a valid point and also against the Geek Commandments.....
a little refresher:

Written by the Man himself:

6 - Thou shalt not peddle thy wares
Advertising is allowed on the site via banners and auto-linking but not through posting. Threads started to bait and hook or advertise a service or product for your financial gain is a sure fire way to get your thread deleted and possibly get banned. I no longer allow threads to be started offering 'special deals for geeks only'. Posting these types of threads can lead to a ban.
If another member is asking about your product or service, or if your products or services are relevant to the topic at hand you may respond without wording that would consider the post to be an advertisement. Once again, I would encourage you to ask a moderator if in doubt about this rule to avoid deletion of posts, an angry mob of geeks and a potential ban.

Lets all chill out and remember what this board is all about - sharing helpful information amongst ourselves and helping one another!
I so agree, have a voddy and Orange on me for that... sorry ran out of champus xxx

I have to agree, i was directly PM'd thats how i found out who to train with.
Too many people on here out for themselves trying to make a buck or 2! All i can say is that product should speak for itself, shouldnt need the hard sale!! Its a great shame that there are people who are taking advantage of the site!

I don't know about anyone else here but it seems that the Geek is currently being used as a way of directly advertising and promoting companies in and pushy and unprofessional manner.
I am hearing of people being pm'd with direct sales information, sometimes this being very unfair and unprofessional and and do not feel this is a good way for this site to be used. It is also being visited by sales and marketing professionals who have no interest here other than to sell their clients products.

I have to agree, i was directly PM'd thats how i found out who to train with.
Too many people on here out for themselves trying to make a buck or 2! All i can say is that product should speak for itself, shouldnt need the hard sale!! Its a great shame that there are people who are taking advantage of the site!

Please ensure if you receive this sort of PM that you report it to one of the Moderators - this is the only way we can do anything about it - if we dont know then we cant sort it.

Mandy I find that very hypocritical. You have contacted me twice by sending PM's - you use every opportunity on the board to advertise Tantrick and even what stall you're on at Excel. I am not the only Geek to have been approached by yourself by you sending PM's at every given opportunity.

You told me on the phone that compressors were bad and can spray at illegal levels of Psi - since then I found out that compressors are not bad, they can be good for airbrushing and body art/nails and make up. You did that when I told you about the model that Pure Sun brought to me - I did not know what it was, and was looking for advice from different products about their companies. No other company I have been in contact with has tried to sell by rubbishing other companies claims - only you.

I am not disputing that you have a good company, good products and a good client base - many Geeks use and love Tantrick - but how can you write this thread? I have hardly seen any other company on this site offering spray tanning and have not been directly approached by them. I contacted Couture when I got their details from several happy Geeks but I had to phone Debbie Easter myself - I was not even aware of the free training at that point.

You have made noticeable comments which were very 'below the belt' to other Geeks from professional companies which have now been removed.

Everyone on this board is in sales - nail technicians do not slate their competitors, merely advise companies of poor standards they can receive and show their customers what good standards are available too.

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/48423-better-spray-tan-training-required.html

Is this not peddling thy wares?

No it isn't... the replies on the thread you linked were made due to a member asking a direct question.
It isn't hook and bait advertising nor is it peddling thy wares.

A quick re-read of the Geek Commandments (number 6, as Ruth quoted earlier in the thread) will confirm that if someone has enquired about one of the products you sell or the training you offer then you are free (as an educator/distributor) to reply.

Just to reiterate what Fiona said... if you receive unsolicited spam via a private message then please forward it to one of the moderators, it isn't something that's permitted on the site!

Hope that clears things up!

CadencAlex ,I do find that your post or part of it should have been a PM...... there is a personal undertone, keep it out of the forum and keep it privat....please xxx

Just to reiterate what Fiona said... if you receive unsolicited spam via a private message then please forward it to one of the moderators, it isn't something that's permitted on the site!

Hope that clears things up!

Have done that Sandi!

I know of others that rubbish other peoples tanning companies.
Free training i paid my fee to them...lovely! :rolleyes:

No other company I have been in contact with has tried to sell by rubbishing other companies claims - only you. I contacted Couture when I got their details from several happy Geeks but I had to phone Debbie Easter myself - I was not even aware of the free training at that point.

i know everyone has a right to their own opinion but dont you think we should be nipping this in the bud now before it esculates !!!!!!

After all we are all adults and not kids at school !!!!

We are adults and as long as we are mindful of the Geek Commandments then there should be no problems.

Please trust the Moderators to do the right thing - we dont close threads lightly - we do allow a little bit of latitude, but only a little LOL.

i know everyone has a right to their own opinion but dont you think we should be nipping this in the bud now before it esculates !!!!!!

After all we are all adults and not kids at school !!!!

Here Here
There are 4 moderators online at the moment, you can rest assured that we will be watching this thread, along with countless other threads that we watch over everyday.

Threads don't get out of hand until someone either passes personal remarks or gets aggressive...
Let's remember we're all professionals, if we do that and act on here as we would in our salons then there shouldn't be any problems!

As I have said, I think things need to chill down and for people not to get so wound up on this site, a good discussion is one thing but slating is another.

I could be drawn into comments made and defend my corner, but I'm not going to as it only fuels the fire, threads get deleted, users get banned and it creates so much atmosphere - life is too short lol.

All I can ask is that Geeks do follow the commandments. They are there for a reason and that this well respected site remains a happy and enjoyable place to be.

Mandy x

Having been watching this board over the few weeks, it is getting to be a place which seems to be going away from the normal helpful and friendly world of the Salon Geek.

Spray tanning advice and information is being sought by new and current members all the time as more people want to add it to the list of treatments they can offer their clients.

I hold my hand up and admit that it has been very good for Tantrick over the past two years that I have been a member here, and I feel that over this time I have helped many people with plenty of advice and information about spray tanning. I do not use this site to "activley sell" anything, although I will give advice or information about Tanrick products if I am asked and will also respond to PM's with info.

It is getting very silly at times and is reminding me of many years ago when I was a teenager in school!

Cheers Geeks

Mandy x

pot, kettle,....... if it didn't mean that much (or bothered you) remove the link from your profile
anyways you all look like walking carrots, i ain't seen a natural looking spray tan yet, do you know that the general public laugh when they see a spray tan, we even call em the "carrot brigade",
Smarten up, wise up and get a better color, until then you all look like you been smoking 20 cigarettes between every orifice available. Yeah, you may well laugh, you may even bitch, but look between your fingers, look behind your kness, look around your ankles, then after a minute, jump in the shower, most of you guys look like you have a disease from the planet "carrotonanus".

pot, kettle,....... if it didn't mean that much (or bothered you) remove the link from your profile
anyways you all look like walking carrots, i ain't seen a natural looking spray tan yet, do you know that the general public laugh when they see a spray tan, we even call em the "carrot brigade",
Smarten up, wise up and get a better color, until then you all look like you been smoking 20 cigarettes between every orifice available. Yeah, you may well laugh, you may even bitch, but look between your fingers, look behind your kness, look around your ankles, then after a minute, jump in the shower, most of you guys look like you have a disease from the planet "carrotonanus".

:lol:

You not part of the orange brigade then Carl?

Actually, ive never had a client go orange...

Hmm that's the same attitude that says all nail enhancments look long, square and French and totally fake. It's the fake ones you notice, the good tans do look natural and, as with nails, if applied correctly then none of the above is relevant. Sound like you have a lot of tanning DIYers in Oz, we get them here and they stand out like a sore thumb!

Latest posts

Back