A thread for those starting an NVQ in Beauty in September

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone need an NVQ Level 2 textbook? I have a spare one I'll post to you. Bit of a mix up with Amazon over Christmas confusing my orders, so I have a spare. Let me know and I'll pop it in the post.

Got my uniform, kit and book. Still not sure on what to buy to get my kit to college?! Case or a mini suitcase!

Still waiting on my induction day, have been awarded my bursary and even getting help with childcare!

Excited is not the word. I can not wait to do something for me!

xxxx

At long last spoke to somebody from the college!

I had sent 3 emails (to 2 different people - neither had replied!), tried to call my branch of the college and kept getting a voice message saying "please dial the voicebox you wish to amend..." errr what? So I rang another branch and they got somebody to call me on Monday.

My induction is next week eeeek :D too excited. Cant wait to find out everything about the course and sort out my uniform and kit :Love: and to find out what book to buy to study at LONG last!

We all getting excited seeing September looming then?

Yeah am very excited!!! 2 weeks on Monday!!

xxx

Hi everyone, another newbie here! I'm starting beauty therapy nvq2 this September. But I don't enroll until the 29th August, its ages away! Can't wait to get my kit, books and uniform then its full steam ahead to start on 11th September for two evenings a week. I have been loitering around this site for about a week now and found it ever so useful because I thought I might have been 'past it' to start beauty therapy with being 30 and having two children! How wrong was I, its been so refreshing to see so many people in the same boat fulfilling their dreams. Anyway good luck everyone with your courses! X :biggrin:

Hi guys :D

Great to see a support thread for all us starting our courses in September. I will be starting an NC Beauty course at college on the 3rd of September which is the equivalent of the NVQ level 2 here in Scotland :) (Also known as SVQ here in Scotland).

I'm a 32 year old Mum of 1 so I'm no spring chicken either haha Seems there are more of us than I had expected :)

I'm looking forward to learning everything except eyebrows too tbh! I had a disaster with a therapist a few years ago who left me with a shocked expression for ages and it has taken years to get my eyebrows back to normality! Having a bit of anxiety about that but will just have to get over it as no one will let me practice on them if I'm not willing to let them practice on me lol :)

Good to meet you guys :D

I think the only thing I'm not looking forward to are the exams! But other than that I'm so excited to get started, just wish it was sooner! X

Aww I am sure the exams will be fine as long as we put the work into the study and practice :)

Im really disliking one of my jobs at the moment. Cant wait to be trained in level 2 to quit that damn silly job and just get on with doing mobile beauty while i study for level 3 :)

Sounds like a good plan! I'm hoping to earn a little after completing level 2 to fund me through the HND Beauty Therapy as I'm self funding. My other half earns just at the limit for any bursary, and will have to pay course fees too since I already have a HND in a completely unrelated subject that I studied 14 years ago. We will all get there :D

Im very lucky Selina, my college do all FE courses for free regardless. So even though I have a degree, I still pay nothing. I do need to look into any grants I am eligible for though once I start and looking fwd to getting an NUS card for student discounts :D

Aww that's great news :) Yes I think the rules just vary depending on the region you live in! Will get there in the end anyway :D

I've got my uniform now and my course book arrived yesterday (The Foundations Beauty Therapy - The Official Guide to Level 2 by Lorraine Nordmann) Only my kit to get now which you buy from my college on the first day of the course :D

All raring to go now, can't wait :D

I haven't got anything for the course yet. Im assuming i will sort this out when i go for enrollment next Wednesday. Im wishing time away!

I haven't got any info from my college yet either - it will be great once we have our induction days under our belts :)

Has anyone secured their placements yet? I have started to email a few local salons today to see if I can get a placement sorted out before my induction day. Will email or call 2 a day I think until I get one lol.

In theory Boots counts as an acceptable placement apparently as we have taken on beauty therapy students before for 4 hrs a week BUT I already work in Boots and it ISNT REAL experience IMO. I want to go to a real salon and not just a store selling beauty related items.

I was wondering about a placement so i emailed the college and they said we practise on other course members, friends and family (in our own time) and then when we are competent enough we do treatments in the college salon, where paying members of the public get treatments for reduced prices, overwatched by a tutor. After I read your comment i started panicking thinking i don't have a placement but it seems every college is different!

oh thats great news for u :) They told us we need to look for our own placements during the summer to make sure we dont end up with a silly placement.

My college had a mini induction day last month where we were given all the info on the book, kits and uniform we needed as well as a quick meet with the other who will be in our class. The final college enrolment day is on 31st with the 3rd of September as the course start day. We luckily don't have to worry about placements as the college has a working salon open to the public where we will gain experience ones we have been trained to a good enough standard practicing on each other :)

im starting to feel hard done by now lol, our college has an open salon we have to work in one evening during the week once we are trained to a set level as well as doing a 1 day placement. I guess at least it will help me long term with experience and getting a job? fingers crossed :D

Yes I'm sure any experience we can manage will just be of advantage :D

I'm so excited to get started now I wish the next couple of weeks to fly by lol :)

Placement?! We just practise on each other, then have people come into the "salon". When I start I will take a picture of it. People will make appointments, pay the college for treatments! Its really cheap. I will be practising on my family and friends to. I am so so excited!

Good luck to you all for your induction, course etc!! Can't wait to hear how we all are getting on.

xxxx

Jumping on the wagon :) xx

Latest posts

Back