A trade or a profession?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense.
I am completely new to the world of the nail tech, but I do know I want to do it well, hence the CND complete and I already know which courses I would like to do next.
Are there minimum requirements for being a nail tech? Surely as there is work with chemicals you have to regularly attend courses/seminars to continue working with these products?
Can I have a vocation at my age!! xx

Vocation is all about attitude. In our case, giving our all to our clients. So yes, at your age you can make any a job your vocation if you have the passion for it and an empathetic nature.

It may be 'Old school' but, to me, I tend to think of professions in terms of doctors, dentists, solicitors, accountants etc. They need degrees plus years and years of intensive study/exams and highly regulated professional qualifications before being let loose on the public.

None of this can be claimed by a nail technician so, to me, it's a trade - and a highly skilled one if it's done properly.

Yes I think if you define the word professional in any dictionary today your definition is very 'old school'. We are not living in Victorian times any longer. When Dr's Lawyers and bankers etc were considered professional and anything else was considered menial.

Today we have professional golfers and professional brick layers and the original meaning behind the word is very different.

What do you think of this definition?

One characteristic of a professional is that the professional normally has some type of education. This education is what sets the professional apart from other people who might be able to do the same job, but do not have the same educational training that a professional would have.

Another characteristic of a professional is that they normally hold themselves to a moral or ethical standard in their work.

Another characteristic of a professional is that a professional will have all the required licenses and permits for his or her profession. Someone who is not a professional will likely not put the effort into making sure everything is legal and legit.

I'd say a profession. It's your career so it's your profession.

You agree with John Dashfield then .. here is what he has to say .. I like this too.

It doesn't matter what we do but rather how we do it that defines what it means to be professional.
So what could more usefully be regarded as characteristics of professional people?

1. Driven by purpose, meaning and values
They are doing what they love and have an in-built desire to do great work. Their passion shows in what they do and their enthusiasm is infectious.

2. Always looking to learn and to improve
They may excel at what they do but this doesn't mean resting on their laurels. They are curious and open to new and better ways to do what they do. They know that standing still means they are going backwards.

3. Focus on what they are good at
They know what their natural strengths, talents and abilities are and focus on these. They build their team and systems around making sure they spend most of their time engaged in these core activities.

4. Excellent communicators
They are able get along easily with people because they know who they are. They can listen well, value other people's point of view but are also highly influential and persuasive when the time calls for it.

Don't always have to be right, and can comfortably say "I don't know"
Because they are comfortable with themselves and know there's nothing to prove they can openly admit the extent of their knowledge and skills. They can admit a mistake, which adds to, not detracts from their credibility.

5. Do what they say
They are consistent and when they make a promises and commitments they do their utmost to keep them. They are loyal and understand the value of relationships.

6. Never come across as needy
They want to grow and win business but they never need any by particular piece of work. They don't over-sell and are confident that by doing the right things they will attract enough business.

7. Understand the importance of balance
They lead authentic lives and know that to perform at their best they need to rest, rejuvenate and spend quality time away from work.

These are just some of the aspects of what it means to be professional. I'm sure you can think of more. The fascinating thing is that you can take these points and build your business around them and as you do so, success becomes a natural by-product of demonstrating high levels of integrity and value lead behaviour.

I have to admit, I have never truly been good at number 7. I don't feel I have ever had the balance just right. Must work on that.

I shall certainly try my best to be the most professional I can with my chosen vocation...I'm really enjoying this forum...it's the most adult conversation (without talking about children) I've had in 13 years!! Thank you ladies xx

One can work in a professional career position - this is best described first and foremost as one that would require formal training i.e. a degree, a license to practice or certification.

Second, a person may work in a "professional manner" which would require transacting business by adhering to high ethics, morals and values.

In a world where we see few highly ethical people anymore with morals and values (commonly referred to as dinosaurs) what do you think professional ethics means for us in the business of beauty? Are these things something you strive to have and uphold?

I shall certainly try my best to be the most professional I can with my chosen vocation...I'm really enjoying this forum...it's the most adult conversation (without talking about children) I've had in 13 years!! Thank you ladies xx

So you're missing the ex-hubby then?! :D

Hmmm...intersting question :)

To me professional inspires thoughts of attitude rather than what we may technically do.

As we hear of often on this site pretty much anyone can slap on some nails :( but there are those who have a professional attitude to the job -

• ensuring the health of the clients natural nails
  • using professional, safe products
  • ensuring they have a good quality of education
  • updating their education
  • keeping abreast of new innovations and technologies within the industry
  • following safe salon etiquette
So I think it is the individual which defines whether being a nail technician is a trade or a profession :D

I don't think you have to be a dinosaur to have high moral, values, ethics etc. I would like to think that I can conduct myself professionally and that I do have morals and values. I would also like to ensure continued high standards and practices wherever I work, whether salon based or working for myself and I believe in education as an ongoing commitment and not a one off to achieve and keep these high standards. This is one of the reasons I have chosen CND, I was told they were the best and coming on here has confirmed this.
So yes I do strive to have and uphold these values and I'm certain I will...but thats just me!!

My ex's conversation was more childish then the childrens...theres only so much Southpark and Family Guy a woman can take :D xx

Thanks Geeg for starting this excellent thread. It's fantastic reading. Much better than some "non professionals" complaining about Shellac chipping, or how to apply gel, aaahhhhh!!!!

Trade - Something that takes 5 years as an apprentice?
This was the done thing back in the 60's -80's
Profession is something that you are committed to after the apprenticeship.
Maybe I'm showing my age!
What do you think Geeks?

Trade - Something that takes 5 years as an apprentice?
This was the done thing back in the 60's -80's
Profession is something that you are committed to after the apprenticeship.
Maybe I'm showing my age!
What do you think Geeks?

I think apprenticeships were a wonderful thing, as long as the person/s to whom you were apprenticed we're excellent at their job and their mentoring skills. I shudder to think what some apprentices would learn and the bad practices they would pick up from many salons I have seen.

I quite like the word commitment though and do think it really does apply to a true professional. It certainly is something greatly lacking in those who are working on the 'fringes' of our profession.

I think apprenticeships were a wonderful thing, as long as the person/s to whom you were apprenticed we're excellent at their job and their mentoring skills. I shudder to think what some apprentices would learn and the bad practices they would pick up from many salons I have seen.

I quite like the word commitment though and do think it really does apply to a true professional. It certainly is something greatly lacking in those who are working on the 'fringes' of our profession.

Hear hear.

A qualification does not automatically entitle you to being referred to as a professional in any position, in my opinion. I have worked with some pretty rubbish Dr's in my time.

For me, it's about how you process the knowledge you gain and your grasp of how to apply it in the real world of your job. If you go around blinkered, you will never allow yourself to grow and become the best you can at your job. Trade or professional, I have no need to really separate them.

Agreed Nicole x

Very good thread, Gigi.

I'm a degreed professional in a collegiate environment and if you were to ask my esteemed colleagues in the field of academia, they would call my work in nails a trade.

However, I feel that even if one digs ditches, if one pours his heart and soul into what he does and tries every day to learn more in order to become even better at it so he can be the very best, then he is, indeed, a professional...no matter what it is.

To answer a question like this I think definitions are very important.

I would define "trade" as a manual thing that someone can do that someone will pay for in return for a service (nails, beauty, pluming, engineering etc)

I would define "profession" as the thing that you go into that becomes a career in that you are passionate about it and it forms some/all of your income on a long term basis.

In this respect I think that being a nail tech and/or beauty therapist and/or hairdresser could definately be considered as a trade and a profession.

I guess you could have a trade without a profession ("I do the occaisional set of nails on my friends now and then as a hobby and in return they buy me a drink") but I'm not sure that you could have a profession without a trade.

No one has said much about business morals and ethics which I asked about on page 2!

What do you think that means as it pertains to our field of expertise?

I consider my "day job" as my trade. Running my companies is my profession.

I am more proud of my trade as you cannot just buy a trade, you have to master it.
Any idiot can be a company director.

No one has said much about business morals and ethics which I asked about on page 2!

What do you think that means as it pertains to our field of expertise?

To me, the morals and ethics comes into play in terms of BEING the real deal for our clients. Being skilled, practised, qualified etc. no conning people by saying I'm a hair pro when I just watched a YouTube vid.

Latest posts

Back