A trade or a profession?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. A TRUE professional is also moral and ethical.

You cannot be one without the other.

No one has said much about business morals and ethics which I asked about on page 2!

What do you think that means as it pertains to our field of expertise?

I purchase my products from my local distributor, they are 100% the real mccoy.

I would never try and fool my client.

I use my system as a system and never cut corners. My clients hand me over their hard earned cash and they deserve the best... I have morals, that's my code of conduct... I couldn't look at my clients in the eye otherwise.

For me its a way of life ..........

Hmmm.

Certainly, in the 'olden' sense of the words, it is a trade. Like You said, Geeg - doctors and lawyers were professionals and everything else was of the prolateriate.

But now, I think we've evolved. We, mostly, have professional standards to adhere to; nail courses now have internationally recognised qualifications and I don't think we can simply write those off as 'trade' or not being professional, as least in the traditional sense of the word. I'd like to think of myself as being committed to my work, of soaking up every available bit of knowledge that I can, taking courses as and when I can. I love nails, I love the theory of nails and the science and I love to know WHY things work; what chemical reactions occur when something happens and why, etc. That, in my most humblest of opinions, is what helps make me a professional.

However, I think that with the advent and proliferation of mickey-mouse courses, we must be careful of labelling everyone the same. Therefore - is the industry professional or is it down to the individual?

I'm not sure how much, if any, of that makes sense - I may have talked myself in circles :lol:

To me, the morals and ethics comes into play in terms of BEING the real deal for our clients. Being skilled, practised, qualified etc. no conning people by saying I'm a hair pro when I just watched a YouTube vid.
So you wouldn't be passing off Chinese or Indian hair as Russian hair then? Or some gel colour as Shellac? Lol. I know you wouldn't but so much of this goes on ... I hope only on the fringes but I suspect not.

I for instance wouldn't even contemplate not using a system or messing around with cheap so-called alternatives ... But so many do. I don't think that is ethical or moral as i would be lying and de frauding clients. I don't lie and I do not BS clients or anyone.

To me, the morals and ethics comes into play in terms of BEING the real deal for our clients. Being skilled, practised, qualified etc. no conning people by saying I'm a hair pro when I just watched a YouTube vid.
This is what morals and ethics is to me, too.

Training as much as I can, constantly learning and developing my skills, using the best products - not cutting corners to make an extra buck!

There are many unscrupulous people out there who are just out for what they can get, no matter whether or not they are delivering the best service to their clients. That is not what I am about, I actually couldn't do that to a client.

I purchase my products from my local distributor, they are 100% the real mccoy.

I would never try and fool my client.

I use my system as a system and never cut corners. My clients hand me over their hard earned cash and they deserve the best... I have morals, that's my code of conduct... I couldn't look at my clients in the eye otherwise.

this is the perfect answer for all the threads asking how to attract clients i'd say.

No one has said much about business morals and ethics which I asked about on page 2!

Hmmm...intersting question :)

To me professional inspires thoughts of attitude rather than what we may technically do.

As we hear of often on this site pretty much anyone can slap on some nails :( but there are those who have a professional attitude to the job -

• ensuring the health of the clients natural nails
  • using professional, safe products
  • ensuring they have a good quality of education
  • updating their education
  • keeping abreast of new innovations and technologies within the industry
  • following safe salon etiquette
So I think it is the individual which defines whether being a nail technician is a trade or a profession :D

I think I kind of did :)

Does behaving professionally not equate to also being ethical and moral?

I think it probably does, because surely without one you can't be the other?

ETA: And how does it pertain to our industry? Well I think it affects how others percieve us and this business, NSS do us and our reputation no good what-so-ever, nor are they promoting that women should place higher regard and value on themselves - they deserve a quality, safe service.

Part of being a moral, ethically minded professional is to also educate our clients as well as ourselves.

Have just read the last few posts and wanted to say that they are really inspirational and something to aspire to, especially for newcomers like me x

To me its both. Im new to the nail business and have previous experience in the industry as a trainee hairdresser. A hairdresser can just learn their techniques from any salon and not go to a course/college to have a deeper understanding of what they do so I would class it as just a trade in that respect whereas with nails, in order for you to be a good technician you must know everything about the nail before you even start with technique, at least thats what I was taught in the course I took. A trade is the technique and the profession is the constant learning and upgrading your skills and how you present those skills. :)

To me its both. Im new to the nail business and have previous experience in the industry as a trainee hairdresser. A hairdresser can just learn their techniques from any salon and not go to a course/college to have a deeper understanding of what they do so I would class it as just a trade in that respect whereas with nails, in order for you to be a good technician you must know everything about the nail before you even start with technique, at least thats what I was taught in the course I took. A trade is the technique and the profession is the constant learning and upgrading your skills and how you present those skills. :)

Wow, that's quite a statement! I disagree extremely strongly.

Maybe I'm being "thick" but one of the things I promised to myself was that I would treat all my clients exactly how I would treat my grandmother. I look after them, I go that extra mile as often as required and I strive to make good judgements and perform my best. With the training I have and will continue to undertake i want to provide a service people are happy to pay for at an amount I deserve. I won't treat someone if I deem them unsuitable for a few quid if I feel as a professional it is not the best thing for their health and/or appearance. I work hard with my family and business but I won't let either slack to save a bit of money or time x

I love SG but this quote is what I do not like about it.

When and why did this become a battle between hair and nails?

This kind of comment is what suggests to people, who are not in our professions, it is not a career, trade or profession but a bitchy job, with people who cannot be civil to each other let alone be professional with clients.

Just because the above person did not get on with hairdressing there is no need to run it down as a career, on a forum that the public can see.

Maybe I'm being "thick" but one of the things I promised to myself was that I would treat all my clients exactly how I would treat my grandmother. I look after them, I go that extra mile as often as required and I strive to make good judgements and perform my best. With the training I have and will continue to undertake i want to provide a service people are happy to pay for at an amount I deserve. I won't treat someone if I deem them unsuitable for a few quid if I feel as a professional it is not the best thing for their health and/or appearance. I work hard with my family and business but I won't let either slack to save a bit of money or time x
I treat them how I'd want to be treated myself. And I have very high standards.

I have not yet been for a beauty treatment where I have been like, 'Wow, I loved that!' I've always been slightly unhappy. Maybe i've just been unlucky. :-(

I'm with Persianista there. My friend learnt her trade on the shop floor starting as a Saturday girl at Sasoon... She then travelled the world as one of Sasoons leading educators.

Ps, I also know of some technically excellent nail techs who have never been to college in their lives. Same with some of the industries leading make up artists.

I think I'm speechless! Something that does not happen often. Did you re-read your post before you pushed the button? Do you realise how ignorant it makes you look or how insulting you have been?

There may be some who have learned to the smallest degree thru only salon experience ( who I imagin will still be sweeping floors and making the coffees) and they will have the most enormous gaps in their knowledge ... It may have been your experience as a salon junior but to use your experience as an all overall blanket statement for an entire profession is just absurd.

As for nail technicians having to know EVERYTHING about the nail before they start on technique? There are more uninformed nail messers doing people's nails than any other part of the beauty sector I can think of, who wouldn't know the difference between the eponychium or their elbow.

:eek:

I am a careers adviser and although this is something that has been debated a lot, I wanted to add to the definition of a trade. Much has been said about what it is to be a professional - but to have a trade you must have practical training, practical assessment and theory to underpin. You must pass industry standard quals. IF I had to seperate the two I would say the defining characteristic of a professional is a degree level qualification being required to be qualified (e.g. Teacher, Solicitor - Careers Adviser, funnily enough) that is to be able to practice in this field you need to attain degree level qualifications. There is also a greater amount of regulation and usually a small number of professional bodies that you are required to be a member of - eg HPC for healthcare workers.

Now a trade doesn't require this level - however it does require having industry quals/NVQ/C&G and so on. Anyone that has a skill without undertaking some form of training has just that - a skill, talent or similar. Not to discredit that in any way, but the term trade does deserve some protection as it's purpose is to separate those from people who haven't had training.

There are many paradigms in which you can debate trade V professional. Degree or not does seem Victorian I agree. Perhaps requirement of joining a professional body in order to practice would seem more appropriate for those of us in (or aspiring to be in) the hair & beauty industry?

Just my thoughts. I also think whether you are a professional is a very different debate to whether you are professional.

Very interesting thread Geeg. I think An*Gel and Pure's comments have hit the nail on the head for me.
I would class myself as a professional, I trained, I've trained some more and I will continue to train for as long as this is what I do, which I hope will be right up to retirement now.
I research, I ensure I am using the best products I can to give my clients a professional service, I strive to do my very best, I ensure I always have a professional manner both on the phone and face to face with clients, I have paperwork to hand such as risk assessments and MSDS sheets to show I am doing things correctly and for the health and safety of my clients and I do everything I can to ensure my business is successful and running ship shape!

I could go on and detail all the things I do that I feel are professional in order to make ME a professional, as opposed to the people out there buying a few bits off ebay and calling themselves a professional.

In agreement with others, I believe I have a profession and I behave in a professional manner also.

Thanks for all your input, lovely geeks. It was a good day yesterday with some 'meaty' interesting discussions. I enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back