A warning to be on your guard - theft from salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hello all.

I hope everyone is well and that business is good at the moment. The owner of another salon nearby to mine was kind enough to visit me yesterday and share some information, which I am now sharing with you.

The salon in question was visited by two women who were asking to book hair treatments and manicures. They were of Eastern European heritage, possibly romanian, their style of dress was romany gypsy like and they spoke quite poor broken English. Their manner was rather pushy, almost bordering on aggressive, and as one was booking the appointments and occupying the stylist, the other was looking around the salon, picking things up to look at, and being rather intrusive and nosey. When the ladies left the salon it quickly became clear that various items had gone missing including clients' purses containing cash, a Marie Curie charity collection box, and some products.

The salon has reported this to the police, and the police have said that this is not the first time this has happened. They have had other reports of women fitting this description doing the same thing in other salons.

My salon is situated on the border of Bradford and Halifax, so if you are based near me then be on the look out for anyone who seems to be distracting you while their friend noseys around your salon. If you live further aware its still something to be aware of as I'm sure there are other who do the same thing.

I dont wish to scare-monger, and there's no need to treat every client with suspicion or hostility, but just be aware that this type of scam is a profession for some people and they do it well, apparently they target salons because women in salons are more likely to have money.

Just make sure your products and cash are stored safely, and make sure your clients keep their valuables safe while they are with you. If anyone new to your salon is acting suspiciously, just be firm and insist they stay in the reception area, dont let them wander, and if you have any serious concerns call the police.

I hope this problem doesnt cross anyone's path, but its best to be aware of whats going on out there.

how disgusting people do this! and of course puts owners in a awkward situation of telling customers to be careful of your bags while there trying to relax and have a treatment. makes you feel like putting every customers bag in a safe while there having a treatment! lol. do you have cameras? this might put them off with cctv signs at the door maybe..

This has happened near me too (Cheshire). Two men went into the hairdressers/salon and one asked questions about treatments/appointments. It's only when they left that the receptionist realised her iPhone was missing. I know of two places it's happened so be vigilant!

Im in south east london and had a couple of irish gypsy girls come in about a year and a half ago. They gad a spray tan each and gave me a post office card. My machine doesnt take post Office cards so they went to te cashpoint. I had no other choice but to let them.!! They had a white can waiting round the corner with a man driving, they ran round the corner jumped into it and drove off. Police did f all about it. I just dont think they realise how seious it is. It could be someones house next time!! Disgusting behaviour!!!

Oh and i realised a bottle of fake bake tan fluid missing. Hopefully they had a machine at least otherwise they were stupid enough to take it as they wouldnt be able to use it!!

This has happened near me too (Cheshire). Two men went into the hairdressers/salon and one asked questions about treatments/appointments. It's only when they left that the receptionist realised her iPhone was missing. I know of two places it's happened so be vigilant!

Red duck, can you please PM me to tell me where in Cheshire this has happened? I'm from Cheshire too! Although I'm mobile I know many nail techs and hairdressers in salons.

Many thanks xxx

We had it last year :( two Turkish men came in to make an appointment. One asked to use the loo which is out back. He stole a brand new iPhone 5 and a Galaxy something or other :(

The description matches a group of women that would wander my town too. Most shops were linked by radio so we knew when they were about. I wouldn't say its only Romany gypsy people. British, polish, amercans.... There are theives in all cultures and countries and I think the reason gypsies, be they Romany, Irish or the ones named above have the theif name automatically named to them is because of how few we actually know.
I trained with a gypsy, live across the road to some and a few of my clients are gypsies. They are polite, courteous and friendly, I've never had a theft from them as they were brought up better than that, just as most people are from all backgrounds. Xoxo

I have had a group of girls for a spray tan and one of the girls sat behind my nail desk and i could see her picking bits up and going through my draws.
I am aware of a missing nail varnish but that is all...also have no proof it was them, It did make my guard go up and i dont think i gave a very good service as i became irritable and keot watching her, Also its extremely rude.

This happened to me back in feb and I'm in Stourbridge! Thought I was the only one, I had 2 new ladies in too! Sooooooop annoying! I also had 2500 photos and videos on it, I was fuming .... Once I'd cleared the salon :)

Didn't realise it was so well spread :(

The description matches a group of women that would wander my town too. Most shops were linked by radio so we knew when they were about. I wouldn't say its only Romany gypsy people. British, polish, amercans.... There are theives in all cultures and countries and I think the reason gypsies, be they Romany, Irish or the ones named above have the theif name automatically named to them is because of how few we actually know.
I trained with a gypsy, live across the road to some and a few of my clients are gypsies. They are polite, courteous and friendly, I've never had a theft from them as they were brought up better than that, just as most people are from all backgrounds. Xoxo

I don't think she was stereotyping, rather explaining these 2 in particular.

The guys that came in my shop reminded me of the guys that have all the hand car washes, and spoke very bad English, and one talked whilst the other swiped my phone, I think they were are my iPad but bottled it and took the phone... 20 mins later I realised :(

Police were amazing checking town security footage even a couple weeks later calling to check all ok and nothing further but its the sheer cheek that someone (anyone) would feel they have the right to do this!

This exact thing happened in Huddersfield last year. Luckily not the salon I was at, but all the salons nearby were targeted. Xx

I think they were simply describing the thieves to alert people.

This happened in my shop in Stockport about 18 months ago! One of the women was quite a bit older than the other and they spoke with a strong accent!
I was in the back of the shop out of view of the main shop shop floor, my hairdresser was on his own in the front when the women came in, the older of them kept him talking whilst the other wandered round the shop picking things up looking at them and putting them back down, she then just walked straight into the back of the shop (not realising I was there) I then I asked her what she was doing and she said looking for the toilets, I told her they were for customers only and walked her back to the main shop where the older woman was saying "I want treatments" I told them both the shop was closing and asked them to leave!
I warned the other shop owners in my area one of whom said that they had been in shop earlier!
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same gang working there way round the country x

Oooooo just remembered one of them took my hairdressers phone but he realised straight away and rang it from the salon phone whilst the women were still in the shop, the phone was obviously in one of the women's hands but she bent down and pretended to pick it up from a chair!

This happened to my aunt. She owns an accessory shop, selling bags and hair extensions amongst other things. She told me that 2 or 3 boys came in to her shop and asking her questions about her stock which was a bit weird because it's all girls stuff. About an hour later 2 girls came in and asked her the same questions and while they were in the boys had went round the back of the shop and stole some of her stock! She said they were Romanian as well. Xxx

Latest posts

Back