Aarrgghh!! 1st interview, advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileKat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in desperate need of salon experience (will complete my Level 3 in July) and so, have been applying for jobs that have all required experience thinking that I would have bob hope and no hope of hearing anything back, this has been the case up unitil today.

Anyways I applied for a position this morning and have had a phone call asking me to go for an interview (my 1st ever for a salon position) next Thursday and now I am panicing like mad. They asked me to bring a model for a cut and colour, I asked what colour process they wanted me to carry out and they said you choose, so,

1.What colour process do you think I should do?
2.What should I be taking with me?
3.Will I be useing the salons colours or do I take my own?
4. Will my model need to pay for her treatment?

Half of me is saying "dont even go for the interview" and half of me is saying "what a fantastic opportunity".

This is the salon, please take a look and see what you think about it please.

David Thomas Hair | The Best Hairdresser in Preston

anybody?????

xxx

Dont be panic and don't show it when ur there, go and enjoy the moment, it should be for free for ur model and use their products ! There is always first time, good luck !

They seem like a modern and funky salon, so what do you find funky and modern? What would make you go wow when you walk down the street? What would make you want to jump about screaming with joy because your work was so amazing?

Will your model mind something slightly way out there? Are they good at doing their own hair at home? What would be possible for someone on a average income to realistically maintain?

Where does your talent lie? Are you better at cuts than colours? What is achievable for you to do? Think how long it will take, how you can explain how it's achievable and show evidence on how it's so.

Go on websites like schwartscop, joico, tigi, look on their professionals page, take inspiration. I seen a beautiful pink style on schwartscoph site that would suit someone who likes the sleek look and is ok with standing out but it's very simple for them to do daily.

Do your models hair in a simple style before you go, blowdry it on the day for good impressions, show the owner that's also your work,. If there's a colour or tool you think they may not have take it with you.
Take your own products if you don't feel comfortable using a new system, but point out you are willing to spend a day or 2 of your own time to learn the range or speak to the rep.

Good luck Hun, and remember to be confident and proud with your work, and by all means don't say you aren't happy with it! Xoxo

Thank you both for the replys, much appreciated x

Not a hair geek but just wanted to say good luck!
Rhiannon x

My best suggestion is to choose something that you know for sure will turn out nice, something that u feel you are the strongest in. I would not try anything funky or anything that you have not tried before (ie color line/cut/foil placement etc) They already want to hire you, or lse they would not have called so quickly :) Anyone with basic skills can be further educated in salon to improve/upgrade/ bring on the funk :)

If you want to do something to impress - do a trial on a girlfriend prior to your interview and if it turns out - redo it on another model with same base/texture for your interview! Use the same product as with your trial so there is no room for guess work. You can always change it up once the job is yours, to personalize :)

Think sliced peekaboo's and a minor change of base, simple quick and can be very funky depending on placement :) GOOD LUCK!

My first interview I tried to do a dramatic color change (Blonde to copper, with highlights and deep copper lowlights) and the line they gave me to use was INOA of all lines....never even heard of it before.. needless to say, I did not even have enough time to begin a cut and my model ended up looking like I had rinsed her out with koolaid.... a washed out hooker sort really LOL He was impressed that I tried something crazy, and that I had actually managed to finish....but made me pay for the product and offered me free color classes if I was serious about working there :( I did not take the job i was too embarrased. dont make my mistake !

My best suggestion is to choose something that you know for sure will turn out nice, something that u feel you are the strongest in. I would not try anything funky or anything that you have not tried before (ie color line/cut/foil placement etc) They already want to hire you, or lse they would not have called so quickly :) Anyone with basic skills can be further educated in salon to improve/upgrade/ bring on the funk :)

If you want to do something to impress - do a trial on a girlfriend prior to your interview and if it turns out - redo it on another model with same base/texture for your interview! Use the same product as with your trial so there is no room for guess work. You can always change it up once the job is yours, to personalize :)

Think sliced peekaboo's and a minor change of base, simple quick and can be very funky depending on placement :) GOOD LUCK!

My first interview I tried to do a dramatic color change (Blonde to copper, with highlights and deep copper lowlights) and the line they gave me to use was INOA of all lines....never even heard of it before.. needless to say, I did not even have enough time to begin a cut and my model ended up looking like I had rinsed her out with koolaid.... a washed out hooker sort really LOL He was impressed that I tried something crazy, and that I had actually managed to finish....but made me pay for the product and offered me free color classes if I was serious about working there :( I did not take the job i was too embarrased. dont make my mistake !

He made you pay?!?!? The cheeky bugger! Xoxo

haha 55 dollars at that! He would not have charged me if it had turned out well, but I guess that was his way of letting me know...I killed it :( LOL

Still not on. The interview was to see ur skills, if he didn't like it too bad. Xoxo

Thankyou all for your replies and wishes of "good luck", think I'm gonna need it, lol.

I'm thinking of taking a model who has full head bleach, she was asking a while a go for lo-lites to break it up so may do 1/2 head lo-lites.

1.Do you think this would be enough? or should I be doing something a little more out there? Possibly doing the lo-lites underneath (from the occipital bone down to nape so that the colour comes through on the lengths and ends)

My model has very fine/limp hair, just past her shoulders and it's one length with a side fringe that is breaking off because of her excessive use of straighteners, so this is my plan for the cut.

1. Give the hair some volume with layers achieved by cutting the hair into a long graduation, (usually I would chip in when cutting most styles but because of the fine/limp hair I think a blunt club cut would be more suitable.

2. Longer length/heavy full fringe to disguise the damage caused by straighteners.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance xxx

are you able to find a model with better quality hair ? Sounds like your model leaves a lot of room for error, may be trickier than you'd like for your first interview? Someone with virgin hair who is willing to color would be more ideal so that your options are wide open and you can get a bit more creative no? :)

Latest posts

Back