Abbey Nation Business Accounts Beware

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Anyone who has an Abbey National Business account, it's probably wise to keep an eye on your balance as there is currently a global fraud going down with all Visa Debit cards (not chip & pin).

Apparently there is nothing you can do to stop them using your card, it just happens???!!!

I just got stung for £2,500 in 2 debits going to US companies I'd never heard of.

The Abbey have been very good and given me a temporary free overdraft until it is all sorted so that I can still use my account and reissued me with a new card.

It all seems v strange as they told me they can't trace where the money is going.

Hope this helps someone and if it happens to you...don't panic!

Good job I took cash with me to Excel...my card wouldn't have worked!!

nails@42ndstreet said:
Anyone who has an Abbey National Business account, it's probably wise to keep an eye on your balance as there is currently a global fraud going down with all Visa Debit cards (not chip & pin).

Apparently there is nothing you can do to stop them using your card, it just happens???!!!

I just got stung for £2,500 in 2 debits going to US companies I'd never heard of.

The Abbey have been very good and given me a temporary free overdraft until it is all sorted so that I can still use my account and reissued me with a new card.

It all seems v strange as they told me they can't trace where the money is going.

Hope this helps someone and if it happens to you...don't panic!

Good job I took cash with me to Excel...my card wouldn't have worked!!

That's a bit of a shocker :eek: - thanks for the heads up!

I have an Abbey personal account (Visa Debit card) and lost almost £2,000 two years ago. The money was taken out in US Dollars, the only American companies I had used were 4 nail related companies, and all were, as I thought, reputable. I have to assume that the thief belonged to one of them. They were very clever, took tiny amounts out first, 1c etc., just to see if they were authorised, then a few $50 attempts which went through, a few weren't authorised as they had emptied my account just before my wages were due in, then once my wages were paid in they took a few $500's and then a big $1,000 and emptied my account within a couple of days of my salary being paid in. It was all done so quickly I didn't find out about it until it was too late. :cry:

The Abbey were very good and gave me a temp overdraught and I got all my money back (eventually), but I never found out who it was who had taken the money.

So BUYER BEWARE! My purchases were made over the internet via secure server, except one which was over the phone, and this is the one I think took advantage of my debit card details, although I can never prove it. Apparently it is safer to use a secure internet site rather than giving your details over the phone to a person, so be very careful in the future.

From what i gather from the Abbey, this is happening across their business accounts and are calling it a 'global threat'.

It's def not internet related or related to anything I 've bought in the past.

...but I agree with you Jackie your advice is sound and we should all think when using our.. cards! You never know who's looking over your shoulder!

Latest posts

Back