abdominal massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applepie

Reaction score
A question for all you massage geeks.

I was trained to include the abdomen on a swedish full body massage.

However, when I have been for massages, so manytherapists have never done the abdomen that I wondered if this is the norm.

Since setting up my own beauty treatment room, many of my clients are middle aged ladies & rather concious of having their tummies touched due to wobbly bits!

I have felt the majority find it hard to relax while being touched in this area, so I have tended to laeve out now.

What do you do?

i am the same i dont do the addomen, i dont like it myself and that is why i dont include it in my treatment !

hiya helen

If I do a full body massage then I run through the areas that I will be massaging and then ask if they would like the tummy done (so effectively mentioned it twice).

although the stomach is a fantastic area to massage, its not worth forcing it on people if they don't want it doing or are self-conscious. They could effectively not enjoy the massage as they will be dreading the fact that their tummy will eventually be uncovered.

I carry my stress in my stomach and so love having my stomach massaged. Unfortunately being a guy this can lead to assumptions being made. Grrr.

If a client is happy with the stomach massage I'd definately doo it! It is incredibly nurturing and renewing.

Mat

I always ask if they want it done but have had no takers yet.

Trish :hug:

We are being taught to massage the abdomen but for me personally I would hate it! Not only that but having had surgery recently it would be a contra-indication anyway.

When I trained I laughed continually while my stomach was being massaged. I couldnt stand it! It tickled me.

Before the treatment I mention the areas I will massage and ask if they would like their tummy included. I always ask I never just 'miss' it out.

I offer it, but most people seem to prefer extra time on their back ( me included!)

I've only ever massaged one belly and that's because she asked for it.
I don't as a rule - most people don't like you touching their belly.
When you are in danger, you always protect your stomach. As a rule, you only let people near your stomach who you trust - usually your partner, child or other close family or friends.
People don't like having it done because of trust and it brings up issues of personal boundaries and vulnerability.

When you are in danger, you always protect your stomach. As a rule, you only let people near your stomach who you trust - usually your partner, child or other close family or friends.
People don't like having it done because of trust and it brings up issues of personal boundaries and vulnerability.

Wow that makes perfect sense really ,
I never even thought of why I wouldn't really care for it either,
but yes I think it would make one feel vulnerable :hug: x

Interesting thoughts - thanks alot guys.

Makes perfect sense what you all say so I will start offering it again in the consultation & then give client chance to accept or decline!

Guess it's something you either love or hate but would be shame to just miss it out without asking on someone who would really haveappreciated it!

Personally speaking, it's something I would only enjoy on a 'thin' day!

I always do it on women (sorry guys) and no one has ever said they didn't like it. I don't ask before as I don't want them to feel it is unusual to have it. If done properly it is not tickily and feels really soothing. My clients with "wobbily bits" like it as they feel it will help move the fat/toxins in that area! :hug:

I always do it on women (sorry guys) and no one has ever said they didn't like it. I don't ask before as I don't want them to feel it is unusual to have it. If done properly it is not tickily and feels really soothing. My clients with "wobbily bits" like it as they feel it will help move the fat/toxins in that area! :hug:
I have always approached it with this attitude myself....but after reading a post by Soriminah,i will bear it in mind,as i think she has made a good point:hug:

As i have no hang ups about body issues,and i certainly have no hang ups about my own body,i approach massaging the stomach with no qualms....but i can appreciate people that do....

I would love to incorporate bust treatments,but have decided not to,not in the Uk anyway,i do not think it would work....i have had many treatments in France,where i have been on the couch stark naked having body treatments:green:...It is all about choice...but i do agree with what you say Weezie:hug:

Must say i was taught to do it and have always done it as it is a very important area. Why do people have massages..to get rid of stress.in this area is your solar plexus.When you feel stress,fear,anxiety,what do you get almost straight away ..a tightening in your tummy.Also massage is very important for digestion.A good therapist should just be able to get around any embarrassment the same way as you would when performing a lot of other treatments.Dont ever forget the therapy bit in our work.

But massaging abdomens is so important, in an aromatherapy it is one of the most important for oil absorbtion, surely gaining trust etc is what your initial consultations are for.I have never had any problems with massaging anyones abdomens after consultation ever.Feet yes, abdomens no and thats after thousands of massages ,25 years worth to be exact dont make an issue of something that doesn't have to be.

dont make an issue of something that doesn't have to be.
Obviously all your clients perfer to have their stomach massaged. Mine prefer to have their feet massaged.

Almost every client I have ever had and clients that 2 of my co-workers have do not like their abdomen massaged and will state this when doing the consult. I do what the client asks. It's got nothing to do with emberassement. If they state they don't want it I don't do it.

It can bring up issues of vulnerability and trust issues in clients particularly for the fact that you are massaging over their solar plexus which controls the aura and greatly controls your emotions.

It has nothing to do with me as a therapist gaining their trust. I've had clients tell me they will not let anyone touch their abdomen. Not their partner, not their children, only their Dr if absolutely necessary.

I explain that most clients find it a little unusual to have their tummy/abdomen massaged but if they can relax it is a great feeling, but if they dont like it we will stop and move on. I am a Male and a lot of clients do seem to be a 'larger' type of lady with lots of wobble but after they have tried it for a few moments and I have asked if all is ok, most say after that it was very enjoyable.

Check out my web site info at Massage Therapy Trainee to see the pre-treatment advice.

Cheers!

Hi there

I do Aromatherapy massage, and ive never really massaged the abdomen unless the client requests it or if i ask and they want it doing.

It is a nice place to massage but alot of people are not fond of the idea.

I would suggest do your normal massage routine and ask the client whether she would like it done otherwise just leave it out alltogether.

Like others im not overly keen on mine getting done, but some people do.

good luck

During your initial thorough consultation it may become apparent that your client is a bit constipated, and stomach massage if done correctly may help this situation. However, even if this is the case I always ask if the client wants this area done and 99% of the time they would prefer the additional time spent on back / legs. A lot of my clients are also not bothered about their arms being massaged, as again, they would prefer extra time on back / legs or head / decollete area (even male clients). At end of day it's their choice, you can only advise.

During your initial thorough consultation it may become apparent that your client is a bit constipated, and stomach massage if done correctly may help this situation. However, even if this is the case I always ask if the client wants this area done and 99% of the time they would prefer the additional time spent on back / legs. A lot of my clients are also not bothered about their arms being massaged, as again, they would prefer extra time on back / legs or head / decollete area (even male clients). At end of day it's their choice, you can only advise.

Just goes to show how different we all are! I can't bear having a full body massage where a bit is avoided as it makes me really aware of that limb or body part! But we have to please our clients if they have special requests!

Latest posts

Back