Abnormal growth of eponychium on toe - anyone seen this before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Hi, I had a client in for a shellac manicure today & she showed me her toe nail.

Here's a pic http://www.salongeek.com/members/be...normal-toe-nail-eponychium-growth-resized.jpg

It is an extension growing from her eponychium and is not attached to the nail at all, but hangs over her big toe nail. It does contain blood cells and does hurt if it's caught.
Her doctor said her will cut it out & then if that doesn't work he said he'll remove her whole toe nail !!!!!!!!!! FFS - it's not even attached to her toe nail, what is he thinking??? He may take the toe off, but this will still grow back!!
She has had it 'frozen' in the past by the doctor & it dropped off but it still comes back.
She's had it for approx 7 years and it started when she had a pedicure done in her previous town & the tech cut her eponychium and it bled. This has grown there ever since.

Has anyone ever come across this before & what is it & how can it be treated (I'm guessing not by me)?

Thanks everyone xxxxxx

Are your albums set to private, or friends only? I can't see the pic...

me either :( although what you are describing sounds like dorsal pterygium, a winglike piece of skin which when the eponychium is severly damaged this can cause this, apparently from what ive read anyhow. xx

So sorry, will reset it now xxxxx:hug:

Still can't see the image.x

I'm so sorry everyone:hug::hug::hug:, I have just changed my whole profile settings so you should be able to view it now if you're not too fed up with trying...

I'm such a pleb sometimes, been rushed off my feet today & trying to multi-task - not suceeding obviously:lol:

That does look like a version of pterygium. But the whole nail doesn't look very healthy! I wonder it this is a type of wart/varucca?? It could be!

I think you need to let the medical professionals deal with this (even if you don't agree)

That does look like a version of pterygium. But the whole nail doesn't look very healthy! I wonder it this is a type of wart/varucca?? It could be!

I think you need to let the medical professionals deal with this (even if you don't agree)

I sincerely do agree Marian, thanks so much for responding. I had no intention of trying to diagnose it, treat it or otherwise, but I was intriuged to see if any of us had seen or had knowledge of this sort of thing.

I like to find out as much as I can.

Since posting this I have had a look in Doug's book & wondered about the Pterygium - interesting thought about the wart thing....the doc did 'Freeze' it like they do with warts, but it dropped off & came back.

Hey Bev!

That's interesting! I wonder if it is a virus thing!! Freezing it doesn't necessarily kill the virus though. The nail doesn't look right. I'm really NOT trying to diagnose here (but it is interesting!) but I wonder if there's an immunity problem.

Please don't mention any of this to your client. Just recommend that she gets medical advice

xx

When we do need to advise a client to go to get their problem diagnosed by a Dr, do you take her word for it when she comes back wanting her nails done or do you only do her with the Drs note?

I only ask because I have know clients to lie about what they have done to their own hair just so you give them what they want.

I remember asking a client if she had put anything in her hair before I was due to perm it, to which she replied no.

I tested a bit of the hair that looked suspicious in a bowl & it disintegrated.

I told her that if I had permed her hair this is what would have happened to it, to which she replied "well I did put SunIn on it a couple of months ago but I thought it would have all grown out by now".. Her hair was about 6 inches past her shoulders!!!!! which would have taken years to grow out not months.

Last edited:
When we do need to advise a client to go to get their problem diagnosed by a Dr, do you take her word for it when she comes back wanting her nails done or do you only do her with the Drs note?

I only ask because I have know clients to lie about what they have done to their own hair just so you give them what they want.

I remember asking a client if she had put anything in her hair before I was due to perm it, to which she replied no.

I tested a bit of the hair that looked suspicious in a bowl & it disintegrated.

I told her that if I had permed her hair this is what would have happened to it, to which she replied "well I did put SunIn on it a couple of months ago but I thought it would have all grown out by now".. Her hair was about 6 inches past her shoulders!!!!! which would have taken years to grow out not months.

If ever I feel unable to perform a treatment on a client due to potential infection//contra-indiation and tell them to see a doctor, I also tell them to bring in a letter stating that it's ok to have 'x' treatment performed/no problem found etc.....only 1 client has ever botherred to bring the letter in after visiting a Doctor.
No letter/no treatment in my book.

I agree, it doesn't look normal, looks like the start of some form of nail separation too, it's not a "normal" nail.

It also doesn't look very clean ...... I wish clients would scrub their feet more often, rather than relying on us for a bloody miracle, when a bit of personal hygiene could go a long way.

So many people ignore their feet, a daily scrub with soap and water works miracles, as well as drying them really well (with a towel, not air drying them) before putting them in shoes.

Most foot conditions thrive in moisture .... why not just dry them really well? The difference can be amazing.

Last edited:
ooo the whole nail looks unhealthy i do agree... !! and also the skin around the nail looks rather pink and swollen too...

Hi there I was just browsing aroung the forum and noticed these pics from another post but this looks like the picture you were talking about but then again who knows lol just thought I would show you
Periungual Fibroma Pictures

Latest posts

Back