About to start IVF, how do I tell clients about time off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah divey

Reaction score
Hello, I am about to embark on a round of IVF in Sept/Oct (no exact dates yet) and I am getting stressed out not knowing how I go about letting clients know I am potentially going to be off work in the near future. Some clients I feel comfortable telling but others I don't. I don't particularly want everyone knowing my business. The injections are for 5 weeks and I am told some people have bad side effects from them, now I'm concerned I might have to cancel on clients at the last minute and not be able to provide them with an appointment that week. I am fully booked 4/5 days a week and I am really worried about clients being angry with me particularly if I haven't told them the reason I'm off. I feel like I'm stuck in a dilemma. In all I could be on and off work for a 7 week period (2 weeks off work after the fertilised embryo is put back) . I've already got lots of bookings in September and I don't know what to do about taking them or not. Being a self employed freelance hairdresser I don't have the luxury of handing over my clients to another stylist. What would you tell clients? How do you tell people who rely on you every week?

Stressing really isnt going to help in this situation. First off you need to wait for the dates to have booked off for the treatment to be confirmed. Once done put that in your diary so no appointments those dates. Then play how you feel at the time. If you dont feel well then go down the changing of appointments route with clients. All you need to say is your sick and if they really push as to whats wrong then its d&v lol. You dont have to tell anyone your business at all. However apart from putting in your confirmed dates for ivf into your diary no one else is going to tell you how your going to feel or if you should be working thats down to you only. Play it how you feel on the day and clients are understanding when you tell them you need to change appointments due to sickness. Good luck with the ivf.

I went through IVF in May/June and I was honest with all of my clients, they all knew my plans and knew I could have cancelled at last minute, I ended up having a month off for the whole process but could have easy had worked whilst going through stims.. The 2ww would have been the only time of rest if I'd had it my way.

Stop stressing about it and tell them as much as your comfortable with but in my experience they will be a lot more understanding if you are completely honest with them... Then you will be stress free :) good luck!!

I went through ivf nearly 5 years ago, I was working from home at the time, and I just worked my appointments around it all, sometimes I cancellated clients last minute and worked later In the evening.I didn't tell anyone until I fell pregnant. It's not worth putting the added stress on yourself.

It was hard going, but I put myself first.

Good luck

Do you have another freelancer hair friend who you would trust to 'take over your clients' for a short period if need be? Are you in a position to lose a months wages by not doing any services? If you are you could cut out the stress immediately and say you won't be operating from x date to y date and you understand they will need an interim hairdresser, it would only be one appointment ((if a regular is once every 4-6 Weeks for example). Once you have had a baby you would probably be off for a similar period. People will understand, and if they don't, do you want them as clients? (I know we have to make a living but the beauty of self employment is you don't have to have clients you don't like!).x

Hi, just thought I'd reply.
I run a very busy salon and work 6 days a week. I have had 13 cycles of Ivf and never told anyone.

I was always able to work sometimes I was uncomfortable but I managed I just never done massage.

The only days you'll need to take off should be your collection and you transfer.

I've always been back to work during the 2 week wait, just never done any heavy lifting! I think I would have went off my head if I never had work to focus on and take my mind off it...

For things like doing my injections ect I used to set an alarm n just pretend I was going to toilet.

Hi Sarah,I have had 2 rounds of IVF now first attempt failed....I carried on working and I think the stress of everything didn't do me any favours...

The second round worked and that cycle I had a whole month off work !

Everyone is differant but my opinion from personal experience is take the whole cycle off and don't tell your clients because if it is not sucessful it can be rather upsetting and traumatic to have to tell everyone!

All the luck in the world and and keep really positive !!

Xx

Hi, just thought I'd reply.
I run a very busy salon and work 6 days a week. I have had 13 cycles of Ivf and never told anyone.

I was always able to work sometimes I was uncomfortable but I managed I just never done massage.

The only days you'll need to take off should be your collection and you transfer.

I've always been back to work during the 2 week wait, just never done any heavy lifting! I think I would have went off my head if I never had work to focus on and take my mind off it...

For things like doing my injections ect I used to set an alarm n just pretend I was going to toilet.
Charlie I am sorry if this is a personal question but did you get your positive in the end? I hope so

Xx

Not at all, yip im currently pregnant!! My little miracle!!

Thank you geeks for writing back, it's good to hear from others in the same situation. It seems the opinion is divided, some work throughout the whole IVF process and others have a few weeks off. I will take the 2 weeks off the hospital recommend after implantation but it's the 5 weeks of injections I'm unsure of, I have severe migraines as a direct result of varied hormones, I have some sort of intolerance to Oestrogen, so I am concerned but obviously I just don't know how my body will react to these. The clients I have booked in for Sept and Oct I will just have to cancel if I am not up to it. I can afford not to work for a few weeks but it's not that the worries me too much it's my clients going elsewhere, I hate the feeling of letting people down and I know how grumpy people get when I take holiday. Hopefully if they did go elsewhere it would only be 1 appointment like you say. I don't know anybody in the North Norfolk area who could take my clients on temporarily but I may contact the couple of other people I see advertise in the area and see if they are open to the idea but again that worries me as they might not come back to me! Great to hear a success story Charlie!

Hi Sarah,I have had 2 rounds of IVF now first attempt failed....I carried on working and I think the stress of everything didn't do me any favours...

The second round worked and that cycle I had a whole month off work !

Everyone is differant but my opinion from personal experience is take the whole cycle off and don't tell your clients because if it is not sucessful it can be rather upsetting and traumatic to have to tell everyone!

All the luck in the world and and keep really positive !!

Xx
Excellent news Sally! You give me hope!

Sarah for me my ivf was one of the most emotionally challenging and heartbreaking journeys I have ever been on,the best advice I can give you is more important than any medical advice and that is you must keep more positive than you have ever been in your life!!! Tell yourself every single day THIS IVF IS GOING TO WORK!!! Believe it will and never stop daydreaming about your little baby that is on the way!!! Also I had complete bedrest straight after egg transfer for 72 hours I didn't move and I am convinced that with my rest and positive mind it happened!

Please mail me at any point if you want any support or positive vibes!!

First of all, Good luck with your ivf, Were about to embark on our 5th ICSI. first round i told every man and his dog (too excited) and clients were great i didnt take much time off at all just collection and transfer then got hospitalised with OHSS for 2 weeks and clients were still great and understanding, this happend another 2 times on different cycles but i told less and less people each cycle now were going for 5th time luck everyones on a strict need to know basis, my staff know ill need to take time out here nd there they know ill be grumpy most probably but in work i paint a smile on for my client so they dont know any difference. im fully booked weeks and weeks in advance but my clients trust me in the fact i wouldnt cancel them if there wasnt a really vaild reason and you dont have to justify yourself dont feel the need to say ohh its because x y and z......
it is emotional and hard work but keep your game face on when you are in work. :) definately take the 2 ww off its hard not knowing what dates collection and tranfer could be etc but just make sure you put you first!!

Good luck let us know how you get on xxxxxxxxx

First of all, Good luck with your ivf, Were about to embark on our 5th ICSI. first round i told every man and his dog (too excited) and clients were great i didnt take much time off at all just collection and transfer then got hospitalised with OHSS for 2 weeks and clients were still great and understanding, this happend another 2 times on different cycles but i told less and less people each cycle now were going for 5th time luck everyones on a strict need to know basis, my staff know ill need to take time out here nd there they know ill be grumpy most probably but in work i paint a smile on for my client so they dont know any difference. im fully booked weeks and weeks in advance but my clients trust me in the fact i wouldnt cancel them if there wasnt a really vaild reason and you dont have to justify yourself dont feel the need to say ohh its because x y and z......
it is emotional and hard work but keep your game face on when you are in work. :) definately take the 2 ww off its hard not knowing what dates collection and tranfer could be etc but just make sure you put you first!!

Good luck let us know how you get on xxxxxxxxx

Good luck Stephanie! Hope you get your positive soon xx

Thanks for your response Stephanie. Gosh you've been through the mill, I really really hope you get lucky this time. Keep us all posted. X

Sent from my SM-G800F using SalonGeek mobile app

Good luck ️xx

You dont need to tell anyone the ins and outs. Just mention you have a medical procedure coming up and may be unwell and have to change appointments. If they start asking questions just tell them straight out its a personal procedure. Most wont ask but you know yourself you get the ones who want to know it all! Dont stress yourself out over it. A family member of mine has gone through it multiple times so I know how stressful it all can be. I wish you the best of luck with it! x

Thanks for your response Stephanie. Gosh you've been through the mill, I really really hope you get lucky this time. Keep us all posted. X

Sent from my SM-G800F using SalonGeek mobile app
thank you fingers crossed for you too, feel free to pm me anytime xxx

Latest posts

Back