About to start training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle90

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After graduating last summer with a 2.1 in politics, and getting a job in media sales, I've absolutely loved spending money on beauty treatments especially waxing and nail enhancements - formerly acrylics and now gels

It's recently dawned on me how interested I am in beauty and how i'd love to train and do it myself, to maybe pursue as a new career choice.

Is an nvq level 2 a good place to start? I literally have no experience but am a quick learner.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Danielle

Nvq is a great start into beauty industry. Shame tho that you can't put your degree to use! Just my opinion, as my daughter is currently in her final year of politics/psychology degree, and after all the expense you have paid out it seems shame to not use it.

ps, am not saying that beauty is not worthwhile or "less" of a career before anyone shouts me down lol.

Yeah I understand what you mean and to be honest I do agree slightly.
On the other hand however I am really interested in beauty and I suppose its good to have another qualification under my belt.
I've always wanted to be self employed too and have my own business and beauty seems like it could be a good direction to go?

Are there any salon owners here? How was it when you first set up? And how much experience did you have before starting?

I've noticed here that everyone talks about Cnd a lot - I think I'll be training with entity products. Are they any good? And would I have to train again to use Cnd products myself?

Yeah I understand what you mean and to be honest I do agree slightly.
On the other hand however I am really interested in beauty and I suppose its good to have another qualification under my belt.
I've always wanted to be self employed too and have my own business and beauty seems like it could be a good direction to go?

Are there any salon owners here? How was it when you first set up? And how much experience did you have before starting?

I've noticed here that everyone talks about Cnd a lot - I think I'll be training with entity products. Are they any good? And would I have to train again to use Cnd products myself?

A good University education will only enhance your beauty business should you decide to go in that direction. I am university educated and it all goes towards making you well rounded for any job; so never wasted.

It is important to do something you LOVE and for which you have a passion. Too many people work at jobs they hate and it is so sad.

I would certainly check out CND before I made a final decision on any training. They are the best, have the best reputation, are represented all over the country and will give you a complete course that will have you ready to go at the end of it with an ITEC diploma to boot and all products included ... 08452106060 or speak direct to the education manager Debbie Davies on 01132173801 who will be pleased to discuss any questions you may have. You really can't beat CND.

The answer to your last question is YES you would need to do more training with CND to be eligible to use their products. It seems kind of a random choice to mention training you think you might do and then ask if it is any good? There is good and then there is excellent. Do you want to make a serious go of a self-employed business or take the long road back to the same place you should have started? Start as you mean to go on is the most intelligent way forward in my opinion. Good Luck.

Last edited:
A good University education will only enhance your beauty business should you decide to go in that direction. I am university educated and it all goes towards making you well rounded for any job; so never wasted.

It is important to do something you LOVE and for which you have a passion. Too many people work at jobs they hate and it is so sad.

Couldn't agree more with this. I too have a degree and a professional qualification but I feel like I've spent far too many years plugging away at a career that has given me very little satisfaction, although it has paid the bills. I now feel like its time to do something I actually WANT to do, before it's too late.

I'd also add that in the current economic climate a degree - even a good degree from a respected university - is absolutely no guarantee of a decent job. So my advice would be follow your dreams OP.

Thanks ladies! Do you both have your own salons? How was it setting up? How do you pick location?

I love beauty and get so excited reading about it so god knows what I'm gonna be like when I actually start lol

Danielle xx

I qualified in Beauty Therapy 13 years ago, and found while doing this course, I enjoyed doing nails more, then anything else.

Took me years to actually go ahead and do Gels after having children.
I wish now, I had done it sooner.
If it is something you want to do, then don't do what I did and waste the time. Go for it! :)

I love my job!!

i agree with others if its what you want to do then go for it, too many of us stay in jobs we hate for too long before realising our passions and pursuing them.

Having said that though it is totally different enjoying having treatments to performin them!! you will have no time for treatments yourself once you are busy lol so take that into consideration!

i agree with Geeg that your degree although its in a different subject will stand you in good stead in the long run if you aim for your own salon. Also to start as you mean to go on and go with the best products as will save you time and money!!trust me i wish id done my training differently.

also if you are under 30 dont forget the princes trust helps when you have a business idea and want to put it into reality! x

Aww yay you are getting me excited!! Lol

Do you girls all have salons? Where abouts are you based? Xx

Aww yay you are getting me excited!! Lol

Do you girls all have salons? Where abouts are you based? Xx

I am Mobile hun. I want a Salon one day, when I build myself up more. But I work for myself :)

I had a small chain of 4 salons before I sold up. Started with one though! Lol
Nails only, no beauty until the last largest salon where we rented to a beauty therapist. There were 6 full time nail technicians in my last salon. For about 12 years we had the salons and a training school ... That's how it all started for me.

Did pretty well and retired at the age of 49 to come and live in Spain where I am now ! Not bad for what some consider is not the best business to be in!

Been through two world recessions and all through the business just grew. I'm not saying everyone can do what I did ... But if you have the talent for it, the inter personal skills, the business head and a vocational attitude plus allot of skill, then you have a better chance than most. Any questions I'll be glad to help, but before you get all excited about opening a salon ... Get the right start with the ight education because without that ...... You won't go very far very fast.

I am so glad I am not the only one. I completed my law degree and LPC last year. I have been working in a law firm as a secretary just to gain some experience and realise now that I absolute hate the office environment and law is pretty boring. My job is making me miserable to the point that I can't switch off even when I am out of the office.

Like you I love nails and beauty and spend an absolute fortune on different treatments and keep up to date on all the current trends.

I have always dreamed of owning my own salon but never really thought it could actually happen. After being completed depressed with my job I have decided to bite the bullet and actually do something I enjoy. I have enrolled on an NVQ nails course from June and can't wait to start. I really want to open my own salon like yesterday :lol: but I can't help kicking myself for not having the courage to do this sooner as now I have wasted 5 years and have £10k of student fees to pay.

I wish you the best of luck and It is good to know that I am not alone.

Oh my god we literally sound the same!! Haha where abouts are you from? What uni did u go to? X

Oh my god we literally sound the same!! Haha where abouts are you from? What uni did u go to? X

LOL we do sound alike! Glad to know I am not the only one. I live in Lewisham not too far from Kent. Actually I checked out a couple of NVQ courses in Kent - Kent Beauty Academy and Allen Walden.

I studied at the University of London then at the College of Law before I finally decided to follow my heart and train in nails.

Have you decided on a course yet?

MY nan lived in brockley so used to go to lewisham a lot as a kid!

I've decided on nvq2 in beauty and a top up course in acrylics and waxing. Can't wait!!

Congratulations!!!! I know what you mean I can't wait until I start my nails NVQ in June. I am so impatient. I booked it in March so it feels like I have been waiting forever lol! Let me know how you get on as I plan to do my beauty therapy NVQ in September after I finish my NVQ in nails.

Where are you doing your NVQ? I am hoping to do mine at Bromley college. Got a one day taster waxing course tomorrow at the college, wish me luck!

x

I'm training in kent start my acrylic l and p nail course a week tomorrow and I'm itching to get started!!

Last edited:
How did your waxing course go? What did you cover? Can you now wax professionally? Xx

Hiya. It was really good, not too difficult to pick up. Although i did have a sensitive model who kept screaming every time i pulled the strip off lol. However I don't think it is going to be my favourite treatment to offer. It is so messy and the wax gets EVERYWHERE LOL! I think I will concentrate on nails!

Let me know how you find your acrylic course. I am so jealous I can't wait to start mine. Are you doing courses during the day or evenings/weekends. Unfortunately I work full time which is limiting the amount of courses available to me.

Haha oh god I can imagine! I am doing Sundays with her but when I do nvq it's gonna be 2 evenings a week xxx

Latest posts

Back