Absence from work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairtoday

Reaction score
How much absence from work is ok . I have a member of staff over the last two years has had ten days each year ,so far this year it is already five days . She is part time and works three days . My issue last week was I had some staff on holiday so was relying on her how ever her little girl was ill so she was off on the first day . She had close family members to look after her but would not settle to well they rang the salon and she left half way through the day and didn't return for her last day of the . So we were really stuck. I think she did have a choice to let her family to get on with it . So even with help were is problems . Thank you really stressed to death [emoji22]

Oh dear this is a very sensitive topic as mommies are always going to put their little ones first.

What does your work contact state? If she is allowed compassionate days ? By law isn't it only 5? Each country differs.
Then you can deduct it as non paid leave or give written warning.
Then you might need advise of labour consultant.
Perhaps call a meeting with her first to try sort out an amicable solution before getting nasty or threatening.
Remember she will be defensive , as her mom instincts will kick in so just be prepared for that. And you can't interfere in her home life by saying "your mom can look after your child" those comments are not or shouldn't be used. Stick to facts : missing work days . How it effects your salon performance, the fairness of you as boss understanding family time and also your expectations of her as a staff member .

Good luck I hate doing these kinds of meetings , I get so stressed out!

Thank you for your reply . Her husband and mother in law were helping out ,I would not say to her well just get someone else , I appreciate she had made provision for some to help her out and not impact on work . But I think there is a limit to how this will carry on . If her husband is ill she stays off or her so it's not only her little girl . And them other staff give it in my ear as they get stressed out or comet "she is due a sick day soon. . Thank you [emoji53]

Oh shucks so seems she has pushed the boundaries of your kindness.
I would issue a warning letter and if it continued dismissal

How much absence from work is ok . I have a member of staff over the last two years has had ten days each year ,so far this year it is already five days . She is part time and works three days . My issue last week was I had some staff on holiday so was relying on her how ever her little girl was ill so she was off on the first day . She had close family members to look after her but would not settle to well they rang the salon and she left half way through the day and didn't return for her last day of the . So we were really stuck. I think she did have a choice to let her family to get on with it . So even with help were is problems . Thank you really stressed to death [emoji22]

Does she come in and work the day she's had off? It sounds like you need to start a plan of action, have an informal meeting first and point out the number of days she's had off. Tell her about how this is impacting the business and see what she says. Then put in writing that you'll be monitoring the number of sick or unplanned leave taken from now on. Sometimes that'll be enough to snap her out of it, but if it carries on then Acas can advise you further.

If she's employed then I think you will find that she is legally entitled to take time off for dependents which her daughter is however, I'm not sure that this extends to her husband! The time off obviously won't be paid and she can't take it as sickness either as its not her that is ill.

If she is genuinely sick, what does it state in her contract? Do you conduct return to work interviews? What days is she off? Is it all one off days or has she had something more serious?

Her absence is having an impact on your business so it does need to be addressed. Other staff will begin to feel negatively towards her if she is being seen not to be pulling her weight.

Latest posts

Back