Absolutely Steaming !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the reply I received today:

Dear Fiona

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the nail feature. I was very
interested to hear your comments.

As a nail biter myself I have had acrylic nails on and off for the last
eight years and have visited many different nail technicians. My
experience and the experience of many readers who write to me is of over
filing, ridges, green, dry and flaky nails. However, I am not anti acrylic
as they do offer a nail biter like me an opportunity to have better looking
hands. I just believe that our readers should be aware of what could
happen

I would be very interested in doing a follow up feature at a later date on
how to find a qualified technician and what they should and should not do
to clients. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Lara Nugent
Beauty Editor

We shall wait and see - don't like the idea that nails are only of advantage to Nail Biters LOL.

thats exactly the same as she has sent to me this morning, i have passed it on to marian.

Hi,

I recieved the same reply too!

Lets hope a really good, informative and factual article comes out of this?

Regards,

Karen

geeg said:
Here is my reply to the magazine. I hope they have the guts to do something about it.

To whom it may concern:

Reading the article about 'false nails' left me speechless.

As a former salon owner and industry head for more than 15 years, I have given nail services to thousands of women on a long term basis and never had the problems associated with, as you put it, "false nails", or as a professional would say natural nail enhancement.

To slate an entire industry as causing deliterious harm to people's nails is a horrendous defamation and you should print a retraction in your magazine and apologise to the thousands of nail technicians who take their profession very seriously and who offer safe, sanitary and careing services to their clients. Millions of women worldwide have their nails cared for and enhanced with no problems whatsoever. The nail business is 25 years old in the USA and grows every year with satisfied customers.

No artificial enhancement will cause any harm to the natural nail if applied by a caring professional who uses branded product lines and has been educated to a high level of skill.

Clients who search for the cheapest will get exactly what they have paid for. Untrained/unqualified cowboys who see 'money' in the nail business and because of a lack of any regulatory agencies to ensure standards, set up shop.

Many hairdressers have done terrible harm to people's hair, but it is accepted that these damages are not the norm ... and going to a salon where they have the right training and qualifications will ensure a quality service. It is exactly the same in the nail industry. Your readers should be urged to seek out high end salons where the services are excellent instead of low end cheap salons where both good training and good products are absent.

Shame on you for bad reporting, sensationalism in place of realism, and obviously totally unresearched or poorly researched journalism.

Yours faithfully,

Gigi Rouse

Co-Founder of Designer Nails UK Ltd.

Exclusive distributor for CREATIVE NAIL DESIGN

THE WORLD LEADER IN ALL THINGS FABULOUS FOR FINGERS AND TOES

Well bloody said! :evil:

I have just recieved the exact same reply from her as well, show she obviously got so many she didn't have time to reply individually.

Either that or she just couldn't be bothered.

I will be emailing too and would be very interested to hear any response you get from the mag!

Yep, I got exactly the same response too.
We r all waiting with baited breath for her to ask the professional nail industry how to find a good nail tech.........I'm guessing it won't b for a while as all her readers will remember the small article she wrote in this weeks edition !!!! She'll look a bit daft !!!
:evil:

Hi All

As promised I e-mailed Lara too. She has called me a couple of times to day and I am doing an interview with her tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens!

Marian

Well,girls, I'm really glad you all share my outrage at the utter garbage this 'lara' printed.

Thanks to everyone who's backed me up, and emailed her as well.

Let's keep our fingers crossed she prints a retraction very very soon

Good luck for tomorrow,Mum...hope you manage to get all our points across, and she realises just how many nail techs she's upset....keep us posted,won't you?

Hi mandy
I will definately keep you posted.
She e-mailed me as I couldn't speak to her today and she said that she had upset many Creative nail techs who are obviously trained to a high level. I think her point is that not every tech is as good as that.

There are two unfortunate issues here. One is that (very unfortunately) she is not writing garbage as we all know this happens in very many salons. But, and I believe more relevantly, is that she focused on this damaging aspect and not on how a good salon/tech can be found and what clients should expect and therfore demand.

As she has experienced all these horrors, accepted them and gone back for more demonstrates the lack of understanding about the subject. This is where the real problem lies.

That is what makes me 'steam': the lack of a balanced argument. From her message, I think she would love to find a 'happy ending'. Most of the journalists I know have similar stories but try to write in a positive way or not at all. The weekly mags have a wider scope of what they can write and bad news sells more copies.

Yet another example of why we should have some type of regulatory body (unbiased) where well trained techs can prove their skill levels and understanding.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Marian

hi everyone i too had the same reply
Dear Debbie
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the nail feature. I was very
interested to hear your comments.

As a nail biter myself I have had acrylic nails on and off for the last
eight years and have visited many different nail technicians. I have
experienced over filing, ridges, dry, flaky and green nails. However, I am
not anti acrylic as they do offer a nail biter like me an opportunity to
have better looking hands. I just believe that our readers should be aware
what could happen.

I appreciate your comments that if a consumer visits a fully qualified nail
technician the problems stated in the feature should not occur but sadly it
often does. I would be very interested in doing a follow up feature at a
later date on how to find a qualified technician and what they should and
should not do. Any information you could supply me would be greatly
appreciated.

Lara Nugent
Beauty Editor

hope mum gets a beter response tomorrow
debbie

This is a pathetic response! Not even an apology. Nor even a hint at one.

It's one thing telling readers what could happen if they pay a visit to a bad salon (like the one she clearly uses) , its quite another to present the one-sided view that these things most likely will happen whenever a customer visits a salon.

As for calling the nail plate the nail bed and refering to a bacterial infection (a rarity) as a fungus .... I mean just who did this person get her information from anyway? Sounds like for 8 years she has been seeing someone who badly needs a class!!

I have done my own enhancements for almost 20 years ... guess what? NO ridges; when I remove them they are not flakey or green (in fact I have never had a green nail) I would go so far as to say that they now look better than they ever did before I started to enahnce them (I was a biter too). My nail beds have elongated over time and my nails are healthy and strong. I still overlay my nails because if I didn't, I would start biting again ... I need them to be perfect or else 'away I go again' even after all these years.

Let's have the other side of the story Ms. Editor instead of a polital answer that in fact says nothing ... not even that you are sorry for such bad reporting.

Hi All

Lara called me this morning as expected. She was really sweet and is mortified that she has upset so many people. She told me of her experiences and those of other people she asked and they are awful. (The 'fungal' infection was diagnosed by a pharmasist!)

She asked many people about their experiences and could not find a good one! 'Experts' she asked just tried to sell their products.

She is scheduled until August but really wants to redress the issue and will try to get a 2 page piece in asap. She will probably contact some of those who e-mailed her and will certainly call me. I have already drawn her attention to ways of knowing of your technician is good so, hopefully, the next article will be much more positive.

What the people in the industry must not forget is that there are many, many brilliant techs out there but there are probably more that are seriously bad. The good ones must keep trying to get the message out to their clients! Explain what is right and what is so wrong (without mentioning names or salons). The media can help the industry because that is where all your new clients come from!!!!

Marian

well said marian!
someone with your media background is, i'm sure, aware of how frustrating it can b to try to "spread the word" without being misrepresented or accussed of trying to sell their wares!
when i agreed to do the nails for watchdog last year, all of us on this site debated the pros & cons of letting journo's loose with a subject that we pro's feel v.passionate about.
there were still mixed feelings after the event as to how positive the event was.
other geeks have put up posts about being badly misrepresented after giving interviews to the press.
mayb some good may come of this...
just mayb this editor may now stick to her word & give us a platform to put across how professional & dedicated we all are?
let's wait & see
liza xx

I guess this is what i should expect to receive shortly too !!

copy and paste !

kx

naturalnails said:
Here is the reply I received today:

We shall wait and see - don't like the idea that nails are only of advantage to Nail Biters LOL.

mum said:
Hi All

I have already drawn her attention to ways of knowing of your technician is good so, hopefully, the next article will be much more positive.

Marian
hi
how could you be sure to be visiting a good nail tech?...you can get inurance these days after completing one or two days training...so i doubt whether that would help..
debbie

so pleased how everyone has got together to support each other in such a sensitive issue. Thanks Mum for really going for it to try to get a good image across. The thing i find so annoying is that it can take years to build up a good reputation, then one bad experience with a lousy trained so called tech, destroys it instantly!!

Well i know we certainly won't give up on this as too much is at stake. All we can do is try to educate people in what is right and what is to be expected in most cases and go from there.:!:

Hi Debbie
It's really difficult to know how to find a good tech as you've pointed out. To the general public, certificates are meaningless and having a formal qualification is questionable when you hear what is being taught in some colleges.

The sort of thing I have said in the past and to Lara are to look for things like immaculate hygiene, how gently the natural nail is treated (e.g shine only removed), how the process is explained and the aftercare advice etc etc.

I hope she will come back very soon and want to elaborate on the subject.

Marian

has she replied to any of you yet? curious to know her response

lovelydama said:
has she replied to any of you yet? curious to know her response
sorry girls, just learning to navigate on this site. Just discovered the next page...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back