Absolutely Steaming !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy_moo_64

Reaction score
I am absolutely steaming about an article in this weeks Best magazine, dated 1st June 2004. Its on page 18, and regards acrylic nails.... quote..."When the nail tech buffs your natural nails with a file so the false nails stay put,it weakens the nail bed.This makes your nails flake,split and ridge when the false nails come off.You could also end up with a fungal infection that might turn your nails green"
I've emailed the magazine at [email protected] to point out that they should get their facts straight before printing such an article ... I'm sat here now feeling SO angry ....how dare they say things like this? The only time I can think that these things would occur is when the tech is unqualified, and doesn't know what she's doing.
If anyone else sees this article,perhaps you could email the mag as well, because i stated in my email that this is sure to get a lot of backs up in the nail industry...it doesn't exactly do us any favours, does it, and as it was a prospective new client that pointed the article out to me, this in itself is very annoying...it's putting people off ever having their nails done.
Does anyone know if i have a right to bring this to the attention of Trading Standards, as it is misleading information? And another thing...they're not false nails!!! they're enhancements !!!
GOD !!!! I am SO annoyed!!!

I haven't read the article yet, but, I agree totally.... It's bad enough that people have misconceptions to start with, but articles like this will only be bad news for us nail techs!!
It would be nice if these magazines could first get correct information from within the industry.... Is the article a story given by a reader or has a reporter gone to a bad salon and overreacted to information given???

Sue
mandy_moo_64 said:
I am absolutely steaming about an article in this weeks Best magazine, dated 1st June 2004. Its on page 18, and regards acrylic nails.... quote..."When the nail tech buffs your natural nails with a file so the false nails stay put,it weakens the nail bed.This makes your nails flake,split and ridge when the false nails come off.You could also end up with a fungal infection that might turn your nails green"
I've emailed the magazine at [email protected] to point out that they should get their facts straight before printing such an article ... I'm sat here now feeling SO angry ....how dare they say things like this? The only time I can think that these things would occur is when the tech is unqualified, and doesn't know what she's doing.
If anyone else sees this article,perhaps you could email the mag as well, because i stated in my email that this is sure to get a lot of backs up in the nail industry...it doesn't exactly do us any favours, does it, and as it was a prospective new client that pointed the article out to me, this in itself is very annoying...it's putting people off ever having their nails done.
Does anyone know if i have a right to bring this to the attention of Trading Standards, as it is misleading information? And another thing...they're not false nails!!! they're enhancements !!!

I know, I know, I know....I have talked, cajoled, educated, explained etc for SIX years to these beauty eds but 'in one ear and out the other' - God knows who did these nails but they never bothered to explain a thing to Lara (or whatever they said was completely uneducated) - I will be in contact first thing tomorrow and will let you know what they have to say - she may contact you first!!!!

BTW these eds go into salons in London - it could be anywhere and guess what, we're right back to the post regarding standards, lisences etc.... it drives me insane when this happens but it seems to happen all the time - I promise to keep you posted....:sad: :sad: :evil: :sad: :evil:

hi mandy
i saw this article too and also emailed them ...great minds think alike ;)
probably won't to any good though :rolleyes: ...but at least we tried
icon14.gif

debbie

mandy_moo_64 said:

Here is my reply to the magazine. I hope they have the guts to do something about it.

To whom it may concern:

Reading the article about 'false nails' left me speechless.

As a former salon owner and industry head for more than 15 years, I have given nail services to thousands of women on a long term basis and never had the problems associated with, as you put it, "false nails", or as a professional would say natural nail enhancement.

To slate an entire industry as causing deliterious harm to people's nails is a horrendous defamation and you should print a retraction in your magazine and apologise to the thousands of nail technicians who take their profession very seriously and who offer safe, sanitary and careing services to their clients. Millions of women worldwide have their nails cared for and enhanced with no problems whatsoever. The nail business is 25 years old in the USA and grows every year with satisfied customers.

No artificial enhancement will cause any harm to the natural nail if applied by a caring professional who uses branded product lines and has been educated to a high level of skill.

Clients who search for the cheapest will get exactly what they have paid for. Untrained/unqualified cowboys who see 'money' in the nail business and because of a lack of any regulatory agencies to ensure standards, set up shop.

Many hairdressers have done terrible harm to people's hair, but it is accepted that these damages are not the norm ... and going to a salon where they have the right training and qualifications will ensure a quality service. It is exactly the same in the nail industry. Your readers should be urged to seek out high end salons where the services are excellent instead of low end cheap salons where both good training and good products are absent.

Shame on you for bad reporting, sensationalism in place of realism, and obviously totally unresearched or poorly researched journalism.

Yours faithfully,

Gigi Rouse

Co-Founder of Designer Nails UK Ltd.

Exclusive distributor for CREATIVE NAIL DESIGN

THE WORLD LEADER IN ALL THINGS FABULOUS FOR FINGERS AND TOES

Way to go Geeg, mand & Deb for contacting the magazine!

I haven't seen the article myself, but it made my blood boil to think such a negative article was printed 'blanketing' all nail techs as 'nail wreckers'.

Like most nail techs, I absolutely pride myself on the work I do, the training I've had etc etc, in over 10 years of working as a nail tech, I've NEVER had one of my customers come to me with a 'Fungal infection'.

What a damaging article for our industry, keep us posted, fingers crossed they will retract their ludicrous report and put people straight!

Jenny - Nails
CND Master Technician

Well Done Gigi - Thanks for defending our corner so to speak....

These people dont realise that our potential customers read this rubbish and beleive it!

Fab Freak said:
Well Done Gigi - Thanks for defending our corner so to speak....

These people dont realise that our potential customers read this rubbish and beleive it!

These people are ignorant of everything we do and only like the horror stories ... like some of the papers!! :twisted:

Marain Newman is on the case as well so that is important as she is non representational and well known in journalistic circles. Mrs. Geek too is well known by most of the important beauty editors and she will be ringing them today. SO we shall wait and see what transpires!!

Have just received an e-mail from [email protected] to say she will be out of the office for a day and will respond on the 27th. She probably needs at least a day to come up with an action plan after all our emails!! Maybe any more emails should be directed straight to her.

you go geeg, i havent seen the article, but i bet they got a shock when they recieved yours and everyone else's emails, good on ya , take care love dee

have sent an email too.
she really should have done more research, so its her own fault if she is inundated with mail.

This is the email I have sent to Best Magazine:

In response to your article on Acrylic nails in this weeks Best Magazine, I felt I must reply to you as it is articles like this that can destroy peoples livlihoods !!!
I trained with Creative Nail Design and believe that I most certainly DO NOT damage my clients nails by applying liquid and powder nail extensions to their nails !!! I am totally professional and use professional products which have been extensively researched over many years. All of my clients get a thorough consultation before the extensions are applied and I talk through every stage with them. At the end of the service they are given a DO's and DON'T's sheet to help them maintain fabulous nails.
I offer professional removal of the extensions of which I would say 90% take me up on this service. It is when the nails are physically torn off from the nail plate that the damage is done. Surely this is obvious ? We can't as a profession be held responsible for our clients ripping off their extensions because they don't want them removed professionally to save themselves some cash !
You obviously have picked up on some of the bad salons around and labelled us all with the same tarnished brush !!! How about given us fully qualified nail stylists an article on the good work we do and the wonderful results we achieve ??? You are quick to show the fabulous celebrity hairstylists around even though we all know they don't all follow the same guidelines. So how about us nail bods !!! You are being truly unrepresentative and it makes me so annoyed.
I guarantee this week I will get to hear from many sources about how bad acrylicnails are for your nails and I'll have to try to repair all the bad mouthing you have done !!
I hope your conscience is pricked and you have the decency to represent us in a fair light by getting in touch with a company like Creative Nail Design so we can put our side of the story over. I won't hold my breath though.

Yours extremely disgruntled

Debbie Bennett
Tips For Nails
Creative Nail Design Stylist

You go girl - nice one Debs....Once I have read the article i too will email this editor...

Very well said Gigi! It's good to know people like Gigi, Mrs Geek and Marian are on the case.

Well done too Debs. I'm going to try and put something together in an email too!

And well done for spotting the article Mandy!

Best,

Karen

Just checked my email and they havent even had the common decency to respond yet.

When i saw the piece yesterday, i dont think i've ever felt so angry in my entire life....i'm a very calm and easygoing person, but this has well and truly got my back up.
It'll be interesting to see if they actually will have the good grace to print a retraction...we shall see,eh?

she has replyed to me today saying the same as she said to geeg,

out of the office til 27th, then "i will respond to your email"

bravo gigi you totally hit the nail on the head (no pun intended :lol: )
im just off to post an email now i do hope they retract that little lot!!!!

I have spoken to Isabelle our PR and she too will speak with Lara who is out of the office, hence the emails some of you have received!! My dealings with Lara have always been lovely however I am always careful when discussing enhancements. Bty Eds always think my nails look gorgoeus but haven't had that expereince themselves!! I am sue Lara will listen - we shall see!

hi mand

i have had no nresponse either ...maybe tomorrow ...we will see
take care
debbie
mandy_moo_64 said:
Just checked my email and they havent even had the common decency to respond yet.

When i saw the piece yesterday, i dont think i've ever felt so angry in my entire life....i'm a very calm and easygoing person, but this has well and truly got my back up.
It'll be interesting to see if they actually will have the good grace to print a retraction...we shall see,eh?

Way to go girls!!!!

I've just replied to "Mum's" new thread relating to this incident. I'm so glad we can all bond together and try to do something positive with this sort of bad mouthing of our fabulous nail industry.

I bet the editor got a real shock with the responce she got to this article.

I am also going to email her and see what happens.

Well i've done it, here's a copy of my email:

Nail Article!!!

I just had to email you regarding your article in Best magazine that has totally shocked and annoyed me. Due to the obvious lack of knowledge that you have within the industry you have totally made a sweeping statement which i can assure you is COMPLETELY wrong!!!!

I myself have experienced the lack of training by SOME nail techs who obviously don't know enough to be practising on the unsuspecting public.I have since done my traing and also i am doing my advanced training to abtain my Diploma in Liquid and Powder enhancements. My training will no way be over shall we say. It takes years of training and experiance to be able to say you are a competent Nail Technician. I bet if you asked the so called nail techs that have caused this damage how much training they have done, i can almost guarentee they have probably done a two or three day course. Most of the time this is a BASICS course which even if you are really good doesn't mean you know anywhere near enough!!!

I think you have a legal right to place a retraction in your magazine and at least have the decency to ask people who know what they are talking about and who have the vast knowledge required to be able to give you the FACTS!!!

I hope we see something positive come out og this,

A very annoyed nail technician.

Wendy.

We will see if i get a responce??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back