Abusive client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady*b

Reaction score
Hi

I have a client threatening to sue me because of some eyelashes I did!

Basically I've done a few sets on her and she was happy she took them off herself then the last set she had some one else take them off and says that all her eyelashes fell out?

She sent me texts asking for her money back saying that she had a professional taking them off and id done a s**t job. I spoke to my insurers and they said I'm not obliged to refund her as I had carried out the treatment correctly. Since then she's been sending me threatening and abusive texts still saying she's taking me to court blah blah ...

I've contacted the police and they say its up to me if I take it further as they can issue her a harassment order.

Now I found out that the "professional" who took them off is a hairdresser who isn't trained in beauty. So I think she would be liable?

She's also been slagging me off all over facebook but has been clever enough to block me so I can't see it otherwise I would definitely go back to the police.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I could do?

Thanks xxx

Isn't that classed as slander on her part, bad mouthing you, i know it may sound silly and it's obv gone past this but did you speak to her? What was said on your part? Have you been to citizens advice? I really do feel for you hun, hope your ok! Hopefully someone can give you better advice then I have, don't let this knock your confidence though x

yeah it is but i cant do anything as its just what my friends have seen and told me. I did try talking to her in the beginning but she was just too abusive to deal with. xx

I think if it was me I would be asking my lawyer to send her a letter stating the facts as long as you are sure they are right about the hairdresser taking them off etc. should stop her pretty quickly. LAwyers can be quite good with scary sounding letters :)

Have you written to her and told her you are not prepared to refund her etc?

If not then I suggest you do that, if you need any help with the letter just shout me!

as for the facebook insults I suggest you try to ignore it but if she persists ask a friend to show you what she is saying and contact facebook.

xxx

You need to show your not a walk over go to police and get an harassment order I know the police do one before this step which gives them a warning to stop doing it and they have to sign it they are not in trouble just a warning but if they do it again they will be.

Then get a solicitor to write to her about slander etc .

Sounds extreme but Facebook is clicky and word will spread fast lies or not xx

I wouldn't panic, as you have your lash cert and insurance cert, and you didn't remove them, so I can't see how your liable, who ever removed them is, for a start what did she remove them with how would your client/hairdresser know what system you use.
I would be livid about her slagging you off on fb as that can be damaging. Do you have a page? Maybe write a little note on there how imperative it is when having enhancements removed ie nails lashes it is done so by the professional who applied them to avoid any damage. X

You have done the right thing by checking with your insurance company. Personally, as hard as it may be, you need to just ignore her. By reacting with comments or involving the police etc you are just going to fuelling the fire and playing straight into her hands. You have done nothing wrong and people will be able to see her for what she is. Try to rise above it all and take it as a learning experience. HTH

Thats awful,I would go to police before it gets out of hand, and i would also explain a hairdresser may not be qualifed to take them out hence the loss in your lashes! Hope you get it sorted hun x:hug:

thanks everyone iv actually been contacted by a lady from the babtac magazine who might write about this and are going to try and help me sort this out so hopefully i may get some helpful advice on what to do! xxx

Hi

She's also been slagging me off all over facebook but has been clever enough to block me so I can't see it otherwise I would definitely go back to the police.

Isn't that classed as slander on her part, bad mouthing you,

It isnt slander, its libel. Slander is spoken word, libel is written word. The Police would not be interested in whatever she has to say on facebook, as libel, like slander is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. See a solicitor if its bothering you so much. If she is threatening you on facebook then that could be a different matter.

Hi,
I can confirm that the Police will see it as a civil matter because you provided a service and she paid for it! If she is making threats to harm you that is when the police intervene.
write down all your 'evidence' in order for example date/time of treatment, when they were removed and when and what was said following it (and who took them off etc)...
Keep all the messages store them on computer if poss.
Then if you have her address write a letter, stating that you have sought legal advice and if she carries on contacting you it is a form of harassment, and you suggests she seeks legal advice and ask her not to contact you directly again. (if you pm me I can help if you wish) keep copies for future reference.

Hope this helps.. I am training in beauty along side my job as police staff xx

Oo sorry didn't see post that you had contact with babtac I was prob still typing ha!... That's good, if it was me a would still get in contact once and also a letter for the person that took them off stating she may have responsibility.
The reason for contacting them once is that 'in the eyes of the law' you have done all you can and acted professionally and not got personal! You can also ask them to refrain from bad mouthing you this ends up being called asb-personal ( anti social behaviour personal) .. Oh yes, mad eh..

It really does help for any more hassle say if she tries going to docs etc..

At the end of the day your client is in error for not returning to you immediately...
If you state facts to them you are covering your back..and this is what police/solicitors check for.

For future ref how bout having a sentence on client record stating that if they take it upon themselves to remove a product etc you can not be held responsible.. And getting them to sign it?

Please do not worry and sorry for the story and not telling you what to do Hun just giving another view as we get reports similar to this alot

Take care x

Have you seen a picture or these lashes at all after removal? Do you have a picture you took after doing them? How do you know she isn't lying and saying bad things about you because she herself or her hairdresser friend are planning on training & want more business their way?? Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted soon! x

Have you seen a picture or these lashes at all after removal? Do you have a picture you took after doing them? How do you know she isn't lying and saying bad things about you because she herself or her hairdresser friend are planning on training & want more business their way?? Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted soon! x

agreed pinkbunny - you never know... as long as you don't go to their level and keep all contact professional, always cover your back... then just put it as one of life's experiences, who needs clients like that!:rolleyes:

You can also ask them to refrain from bad mouthing you this ends up being called asb-personal ( anti social behaviour personal) .. Oh yes, mad eh..
Take care x

Never heard of that! Let me put this in perspective. First of all its a civil matter, not criminal, so Police not interested. It falls under contract or tort law, i cant remember which. You had an informal contract with each other. She paid you for a service that she could expect to be carried out to a certain standard. If she wasnt happy then she can do one of 3 things. 1) Do nothing, 2) Ask you to repair/replace/money back, 3) Contact a solicitor and ask them to progress. She has every right to contact you. If you cant come to an amicable solution, then she should see a solicitor. If she continues to contact you demanding something, then this is harasment cut and dried. If she contacts you and you dont respond, then she can keep trying to contact you. If she starts slagging you off to people/on the internet, then this is slander/libel, not ASB personal. The Police will not be interested as its a civil matter, not criminal. If its bothering you so much and affecting business, then you should seek legal advice and seek compensatory/punitive damages. Also dont forget that a consmer has consumer rights!

You should write her a formal letter outlining the complaint, how you tried to remedy it, and if she isnt happy then she should contact a solicitor and seek legal advice. State you do not want to engage in conversation (verbal/letter/internet etc) with her, but will engage with a solicitor. State that if she continues to contact you after 7 days of receiving the letter, then you will report her to Police for harassment and will be making a formal complaint. Advise that if she continues to bad mouth you, the you will contact a solicitor with reference to claimiing damages. Copy the letter, sign it and get it countersigned by an upstanding citizen, and send it to her recorded delivery.

Never heard of that! Let me put this in perspective. First of all its a civil matter, not criminal, so Police not interested. It falls under contract or tort law, i cant remember which. You had an informal contract with each other. She paid you for a service that she could expect to be carried out to a certain standard. If she wasnt happy then she can do one of 3 things. 1) Do nothing, 2) Ask you to repair/replace/money back, 3) Contact a solicitor and ask them to progress. She has every right to contact you. If you cant come to an amicable solution, then she should see a solicitor. If she continues to contact you demanding something, then this is harasment cut and dried. If she contacts you and you dont respond, then she can keep trying to contact you. If she starts slagging you off to people/on the internet, then this is slander/libel, not ASB personal. The Police will not be interested as its a civil matter, not criminal. If its bothering you so much and affecting business, then you should seek legal advice and seek compensatory/punitive damages. Also dont forget that a consmer has consumer rights!

You should write her a formal letter outlining the complaint, how you tried to remedy it, and if she isnt happy then she should contact a solicitor and seek legal advice. State you do not want to engage in conversation (verbal/letter/internet etc) with her, but will engage with a solicitor. State that if she continues to contact you after 7 days of receiving the letter, then you will report her to Police for harassment and will be making a formal complaint. Advise that if she continues to bad mouth you, the you will contact a solicitor with reference to claimiing damages. Copy the letter, sign it and get it countersigned by an upstanding citizen, and send it to her recorded delivery.
The best thing is if she has a complaint is to get her to put it in writing and deal with it from there..
Harassment is not cut and dried cheshire I'm afraid it has to be a certain amount of contact and has to be proved the effect it has on your life, then it would be a HN1 which is a notice/warning, (asb personal - covers the loophole) the only reason I state all this is because it is my day job..
slander and libel are 2 different things once is speech one is recorded on paper/screen and you have to have absolute proof of damage (to ones career for example)

She paid for the service which indicates she was happy with it at the time. A solicitor can do nothing for you at this stage as there is no claim against you.

Your other option is to see if does take it further or like I said contact her and make her aware of the consequences if she continues with her behaviour.

Chesire gal
ooo forget to mention under ASB it now has its own categories - personal, nuisance, environmental..
and also HATE crime which covers race, age, sexual orientation, disability the list goes on

what will they think of next x

oops apologies cheshire you did state slander and libel 2 diff things..

The best thing is if she has a complaint is to get her to put it in writing and deal with it from there..
Harassment is not cut and dried cheshire I'm afraid it has to be a certain amount of contact and has to be proved the effect it has on your life, then it would be a HN1 which is a notice/warning, (asb personal - covers the loophole) the only reason I state all this is because it is my day job..
slander and libel are 2 different things once is speech one is recorded on paper/screen and you have to have absolute proof of damage (to ones career for example)

She paid for the service which indicates she was happy with it at the time. A solicitor can do nothing for you at this stage as there is no claim against you.

Your other option is to see if does take it further or like I said contact her and make her aware of the consequences if she continues with her behaviour.

Well i have a very good understanding of the law, and ive never heard of ASB personal. If it does exist then its probably in a different context than what it sounds. For it to be harassment there has to be a course of conduct over a period of time. So numerous phone calls (logged on phone), letters (kept) and personal visits (witnessed) constitute a course of conduct. They do this over a period of time (say 2 weeks or even a week), then you have your harrassment. It doesnt have to be proved it has an effect on your life at all, the components are there. I know the difference between slander and libel. An harassment warning does not have to be issued, it can be bypassed and can go straight to arrest. There is nothing stopping anyone claiming compensation/punitive damages, but ultimately it would be the courts decision. Paying for the service does indicate that she was happy. Hwever this is not cut and dried as things appen after the event

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back