Academy, school, institute

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
This question is to everyone that has ever done any training or infact offers training.

If you signed up to do training with a private establishment would you have certain expectations just from the name?

If I saw the words academy, school or institute I visualise a stand alone premises that could accomodate a few students geared towards providing education, possibly a few tutors offering different courses.

If I saw the word training or trainer or educator, it would probably be in a small therapy room or that they would come to my therapy room to train me. I would also be happy to have a one-to-one learning experience.

I would be surprised if I was taught in someone's house unless it stated that on the literature/website but would expect a dedicated room.

whats in name?
your thoughts?

Absolutely! The words, Academy, School or Institute should accurately describe the establishment in which you are training. I don't necessarily think the training would be any better at one or the other or with an individual trainer but to start the training with your students bewildered and disappointed must not be the best way to begin what could be a long standing relationship with them surely!:wink2:

Think its food for thought for all the pop-up training establishments that are flooding the market also.

If I was going to do training at an academy then I would assume that it was a stand alone business. I would be disappointed if I booked in to an academy for training and it was at someone's house.
The training may well be very good but I think it is misleading to describe it as an academy.
I know some people do training as a side job and if they are doing it at their home and calling it an academy and charging extortionate prices then I think that's wrong.
I don't mind paying for good training but I do expect certain standards.

I have done training :D

I would expect from the word academy or institute a large building with dedicated class/therapy rooms which accommodate a number of students.

If it was just training, then I have to go on what I have experienced, which is in an establishment which again has a dedicated room but perhaps on a smaller scale. I wouldn't necessarily expect one-to-one, or for the trainer to come to me unless it was stated on any literature Ii had read.

Either way, again unless stated somewhere, I wouldn't expect it to be in someones house unless it was perhaps in a purpose built room in the garden. If this was the case (in someones bedroom say) I would be quite disappointed if this had not been explained beforehand. It's not to say the level of training would be any different but it's an expectation isn't it?

Hope this helps.

xx

I have commented on this on another thread only yesterday!

I have real issue with people who train from a room at home and call themselves "Academies"

I don't have any issue with people working or training from home. Not at all. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone would feel the need to call it a "Training School", or "Academy"? If you are confident in your training ability, why feel the need to do it. We are a surprisingly small industry and word of a good reputation spreads very quickly.

If I booked into an Academy (and paid accordingly) I would feel very cheated if I turned up at someone's house and was training in a bedroom/spare room etc.

To be honest, all the training courses I've ever attended have either been in a hotel conference room, in a large therapy room or for one-to-ones in a therapy room.

I have been happy with this arrangement.

I have yet to turn up to someone's house, although, I think I may be experiencing this this month. I honestly don't know how I will feel about it.

I do think wording is so important to protray the correct impression and prevent that feeling of being let-down or misinformed.

An academy or institute definitely says to me that it is a stand alone business in premises. Funny you mention this today as i was looking through local training websites and i came across an academy and wondered what makes it an academy or is it just in the name.

Ive had training in someones home, in a salon but upstairs in their dedicated training rooms and also in a 'school' in a standalone building within the grounds of a college (unbeauty related) set out how i imagined a training centre to be.

The best training i had was in the salon with dedicated training rooms, but not because of the environment but down to the course being taught and the actual educator.

I actually dont mind where training is but i do like to know where ill be training/the environment before i go and would be more inclined to trust an educator, besides their actual qualifications, if they were open, honest and transparent about their venue.

I dont always like it when training providers call themselves academies simply because it can be a bit of a redundant title as in some cases it is just an adopted name rather than it actually being an 'academy'.

In saying that ive just googled the definition......

1. a secondary school (usually private)
2. an institution for the advancement of art or science or literature
3. a school for special training
4. a learned establishment for the advancement of knowledge

.... So perhaps no 4 covers it lol! I guess academy says to me quite a prestigious and well established training provider with a quality education programme. But thats just my take on it.

Interesting thread :) x x x

every training course i have ever been on has been in a deciated space , either a actual training school or a seperate specific room etc..
i was talking to someone and she was duped into attending a training "acadamy" ... she was horrified she got there it was in someones spare room !!! with all their clutter around :Scared: ... can you imagine being crampt in a crappy little room after paying hundred of pounds !!
at least if the person says they train independantly from home etc.. you expect it but not if you are turning up to a supposed acadamy !!

If its in someones house then I wouldnt mind as long as

- its excellent training and I got what I wanted
- Its an accredited course
- The trainer/tutor was experienced
- The room or space was dedicated to just therapy (no clutter or household stuff as said in previous post)
- There was a seperate space for eating and a seperate toilet
-There wasnt other household members around (that would make me feel like i was in THEIR home!)

I do think theres too many inexperienced therapists jumping onto the training/teaching bandwagon. You should be qualified with working experience for a number of years before you can teach, wether thats in your house, training room or centre.
As long as my trainer is professional an experienced I dont mind where trainning is held.

This is a really interesting and thought provoking thread!

I do think that the word Academy makes you think of an area/premises dedicated specifically to training of the subject matter!

However, I want to throw something into the mix as I have experienced almost every type of training scenario under the sun! By that I mean I studied 3 years at college (NVQ's) have done stand alone courses (one up to 5 day courses) at training academies, done "in house" salon training where the trainer has come into the salon to train and I have also done training in the trainers "home venue" various trainers more than one home! I am also now a fully qualified accredited trainer myself.

My issue has never been where the training took place as all the various courses I have been on, college or home training the venues have always been fit for purpose. I would however have had an issue had they not been I should add but they always have been! My issue has always been the actual training/trainer. IMHO you cant ever guarantee quality training no matter where the venue. For instance my first ever lash extension course was with one of the best in the business, a company who really set the standard for lash training in the industry! I trained with them in 2006 and the course was held in one of the most prestigious private beauty academies in the UK and my training was quite frankly AWFUL! The trainer was disinterested, rude, lacked in knowledge, skill and the course was so bad I retrained elsewhere shortly after.

My point is that you can receive good or bad training anywhere! It is the actual trainer that matters more than anything. Yes the venue must be of a good standard and I agree with the previous comments that if you were being trained in a home then it should be in a dedicated salon room within the home.

Just my thoughts, enjoying this thread and reading others thoughts as its all food for thought!

This is a really interesting and thought provoking thread!

I do think that the word Academy makes you think of an area/premises dedicated specifically to training of the subject matter!

However, I want to throw something into the mix as I have experienced almost every type of training scenario under the sun! By that I mean I studied 3 years at college (NVQ's) have done stand alone courses (one up to 5 day courses) at training academies, done "in house" salon training where the trainer has come into the salon to train and I have also done training in the trainers "home venue" various trainers more than one home! I am also now a fully qualified accredited trainer myself.

My issue has never been where the training took place as all the various courses I have been on, college or home training the venues have always been fit for purpose. I would however have had an issue had they not been I should add but they always have been! My issue has always been the actual training/trainer. IMHO you cant ever guarantee quality training no matter where the venue. For instance my first ever lash extension course was with one of the best in the business, a company who really set the standard for lash training in the industry! I trained with them in 2006 and the course was held in one of the most prestigious private beauty academies in the UK and my training was quite frankly AWFUL! The trainer was disinterested, rude, lacked in knowledge, skill and the course was so bad I retrained elsewhere shortly after.

My point is that you can receive good or bad training anywhere! It is the actual trainer that matters more than anything. Yes the venue must be of a good standard and I agree with the previous comments that if you were being trained in a home then it should be in a dedicated salon room within the home.

Just my thoughts, enjoying this thread and reading others thoughts as its all food for thought!

I completely agree. While the words 'Academy' and 'Institute' do infer a large institution/dedicated premises, this kind of embellishment is commonplace in many business particularly since the www has become such an established advertising tool.

Far more important is the course content, duration, tutor's qualifications and ability to teach. For 1-2-1 training I don't see the problem with using a fit for purpose / dedicated room within a home, many people have home salons so cannot see the difference. My osteopath has a dedicated clinic in his home - one large treatment room, one small treatment room, toilet and reception. Far better than many therapy rooms, but still part of his house. A colleague of mine did her reflexology training in the tutor's home. A 9 month, fully accredited with AOR course with an excellent tutor. Far superior to the 5 day courses which are offered even if the schools/academies do have excellent premises.

My training room in Essex is just a tiny little room that you couldn't swing a cat in, and it really does leave a lot to be desired, but the training itself is exactly the same as when I hire a room for £200 per day.

When I move to my new place (which should be in June/July) I'll have a dedicated training room with several beds and a separate waxing room.

I think the term academy gives the impression that it's a big organisation.

My training room in Essex is just a tiny little room that you couldn't swing a cat in, and it really does leave a lot to be desired, but the training itself is exactly the same as when I hire a room for £200 per day.

When I move to my new place (which should be in June/July) I'll have a dedicated training room with several beds and a separate waxing room.

I think the term academy gives the impression that it's a big organisation.

Good luck with the move Kim!

Yes the term academy does give the impression of a big organisation i agree.

However, some Academies have many qualified employed/self employed trainers up and down the country and abroad outwith the actual main premises if you like. These trainers go into salons to train "in house" or hire rooms within hotels or conference centres, or train in home salons either the students or their own home or high street salon. The set up's can differ greatly depending sometimes on the circumstancs of the student also. It would make no sense to hire a room for say one student when the trainer or even the student has a fully working set up at home.

The set up has to be right for the course no matter where the course takes place, but again the most important factor is the trainer!

That reminds me, I must check when Kim is back up in Edinburgh :Love:

How would you feel if you turned up to the address and it was

a) in the tutor's house
b) it was in their living room
c) they had animals roaming around freely

How would you feel if you turned up to the address and it was

a) in the tutor's house
b) it was in their living room
c) they had animals roaming around freely

I wouldn't be too impressed tbh!!
Have nothing wrong with it being in someone's house (I now have a home based salon) but I'd at least expect it to be separate from the rest of the house in a dedicated room.

I'm not sure I'd be too keen on animals roaming around freely either, although having said that, if I forget to close the door, my pooch Lucy does come to the threshold of the salon, will have a sniff then go back to her bed in the lounge. So not exactly roaming around iykwim.

I wouldn't have any clients or students to my house for treatments/training BECAUSE:

1. I used to have an old smelly dog
2. I didn't have a dedicated room so it would be the living room
3. Clients/students would have to use my bathroom and couldn't be held responsible for what either of the male species had done in there
4. I wouldn't want to be judged on my home as it detracts from the reason why they are there.

If I was told it was a home salon or home venue.....and it was in a dedicated space then I would accept that as long as i was treated like a client or a student and NOT as a visitor to someone's home.

If I was shown into a spare room and it looked like a spare room, ie single bed made up, and a massage couch shoved in the centre, I wouldn't be impressed.

I am in no way getting at home salons, but I do question home venues for teaching.

I would also not be impressed if members of the family and family life was heard in the background, ie smells of cooking, pop music/TV playing etc.

Latest posts

Back