Acetone hurts client when soaking off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fee

Reaction score
Yesterday I was soaking off my clients gel polish nails, removed the topcoat with a buffer and used pure acetone on a cottonball with tin foil.
But after 2 minutes I saw her face as if she was in pain and she told me her fingers burned. This is the first time I soaked her gelpolish off, apperently only her ring finger really hurt, the other tingled. After a few minutes it got so bad she asked me to remove the foils and I filed down to the basecoat( Wich was way faster then soaking of, but nevermind that).

I've checked her cuticles and I couldn't see any damage, it's not as if she had any wounds or something like that. After removing the foils there was no sign of allergy, no redness, just a bit dried as usual.
I've called her this morning about it and she has no pain or reaction to the aceton.

Please help, does anybody know what causes this? Can it be an allergy, and if yes, how come only her ring finger sting?

I know myself, sometimes my fingers feel really cold when using acetone could the coldness have become painful for her do you think?

Thanks for replying, no I asked that, it really "burned"", and only the ringfingers, very painfull she said..

I sometimes feel like this. It's so cold that it feels like its burning. Although not enough to complain. Has she had asoak off before and has this reaction?

I have many gel clients and a couple get this when wrapped up in foil to remove them ( I use gel remover tho) with these clients as soon as I get all 10 on I go back to the first and file off and have no problems..
If I leave them on any longer it starts to irritate them..
Just put it down to people having sensitive nails as these clients nails aren't weak/thin or damaged

Try putting a barrier cream or hand cream on the skin around the nail. I find this helps with ladies who have sensitive skin.

I get this! It's so frustrating when I'm soaking off my gels as I can't keep them on for the full ten mins, I suffer from contact dermatitis when I use certain chemicals though so that is probably the reason for mine. Xxx

Could you try putting barrier cream on the skin? :S

I used to get this about 50% of the time on me but only once on a client. To me its a throbbing soreness and cold feeling. I used to use opi axxium which is similar to bio sculpture and had it regularly but now I use gelish and very rarely get those sensations. Axxium could take up to 30 minutes to soak off and gelish usually comes off in 10 so it could be an exposure issue

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Only one of my ladies suffers with this, and we've decided for her to use barrier cream because she has such sensitive hands, and now there's no problems! :)

Sent from my BUSH 7.0 TABLET using SalonGeek mobile app

I had this today with a regular client but it was only on one finger.

What barrier cream do you use?? x

I have put Vaseline on as a barrier before. Hope this helps... 😃

Cavalon is a good barrier cream. I get the same, mine throb and on the odd occasion clients too. At the end of the day acetone is a chemical.... Necessary but still contains nasties x

Latest posts

Back